Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago
We have many threads about the upcoming Defense changes.
- The addition of Dom
- Implementing the 3-4D from the 4-3
- Most likely picking up most players on the defense FA/Draft
- Putting our men into key positions to play using their strengths ...

So what about the O and what changes need to be made to improve.

In a previous thread one poster mentioned ...
- The penalties (I swear the 1st 1/2 of the season I thought the refs had it out for us.) Seems like I heard a whistle blow every couple of plays.

Also IMO better blocking for the run. People talked about implementing a Full back ie a blocker for grant - he always seemed to do better when he had a blocker.

Better protection for rodgers ... he seemed to have to run around too much; even thou he was good at it.

I say using screens more and our TEs more. Didnt think we used them much this season.

What do you guys think?
Pack93z
15 years ago
Serious an long look at the personnel, run blocking scheme and if it hasn't been done yet, a hard and stern look at the position coaches along the offensive line.

Fix it after three years of inconsistency damn it.. :lol:
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Megatron
15 years ago
Definitely need to upgrade the OT positions. Rodgers was the 7th highest sacked QB in the NFL. If we want to protect our long term investment for our franchise, we need new OT's.

Look at this:
Cutler - 11 sacks
P.Manning - 14 sacks
Brees - 13 sacks

Rodgers got sacked 34 times!!! that is unacceptable.

The rest of the offensive line can be upgraded if Ted Thompson finds someone good in the draft for free agency.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
Megatron.. I think a little of the credit of the high sack numbers can fall upon Rodgers shoulders.. at times he was holding on to the ball a couple beats to long.

Add to that fact that a good number of our sacks came from internal pressure as well.. I know of at least a handful where the guards got beat on inside twists and stunts.

Tackles on a fast turf were exposed and upgrades are welcomed.. but it didn't all fall upon their (OT's) shoulders.

BTW... nice post..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
warhawk
15 years ago
I have a feeling they are going to bolster the middle of the O line moving Spitz to center and bringing in Sitton at G. I doubt Tausher is back so if Clifton hangs around they will have to adjust for Taush.

I also like Finley to make a big step this year. It's his time. He was young and projected to need a couple years in the NFL but most felt he could be a great player down the line.

I think we have the pieces and these guys have a few years now so guys like Spitz and Moll and Sitton should do better in allowing sacks.
"The train is leaving the station."
zombieslayer
15 years ago
I agree with Megatron. Every time Aaron Rodgers gets hit, I'm cringing. He's taking way too many hits. No, this is NOT a knock on AR. It's just historically, QBs just don't take that many hits and last that long and I want to see Aaron play 10+ years.

So better protection would be my #1. My second thing would be Aggression. When you have a lead, don't sit on it. Expand it.

One thing I noticed Mike McCarthy was doing in '07 - play to your strengths and also play against your opponent's weaknesses. If your opponent is strong against the run but can't stop the pass, screw the run. Pass 90% of the time. Mike McCarthy did that in '07, but for some odd reason, thought that we had to be "balanced." Screw balance. Do what works.

The other thing, there were a few posts on AR's redzone stats. He does NOT turn the ball over. If so, put the ball in his hands. I want 7 points, not 3. If we can get more 7s, we win more ball games. How many games last year did we lose by 4 points? Exactly my point.
Mike McCarthy gets all conservative once we hit the red zone. Stop that. Now. We got The Man at 4-yard completions in Driver. If you need a four yard completion that often turns into 7 yards, Donald Driver is your man. Now you got 2nd and 3 and you're in the red zone. The opponent is now s****** a brick. In '08, I saw a lot of 2nd and 8s or 2nd and 9s in the red zones. I don't want to see any more of that crap.

Aggression. It needs to be MM's favorite word. We know he can do it and we know he's good at it. He proved it in '07, but then got this stupid idea in '08 that we need "balance."
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
evad04
15 years ago
Offensive line must improve. It's absolutely one of the weaknesses of the team. I'd like to see the Pack bring someone new in. I also want to see if Josh Sitton becomes the answer.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
15 years ago

I agree with Megatron. Every time Aaron Rodgers gets hit, I'm cringing. He's taking way too many hits. No, this is NOT a knock on Aaron Rodgers. It's just historically, QBs just don't take that many hits and last that long and I want to see Aaron play 10+ years.

So better protection would be my #1. My second thing would be Aggression. When you have a lead, don't sit on it. Expand it.

One thing I noticed Mike McCarthy was doing in '07 - play to your strengths and also play against your opponent's weaknesses. If your opponent is strong against the run but can't stop the pass, screw the run. Pass 90% of the time. Mike McCarthy did that in '07, but for some odd reason, thought that we had to be "balanced." Screw balance. Do what works.

The other thing, there were a few posts on Aaron Rodgers's redzone stats. He does NOT turn the ball over. If so, put the ball in his hands. I want 7 points, not 3. If we can get more 7s, we win more ball games. How many games last year did we lose by 4 points? Exactly my point.

Mike McCarthy gets all conservative once we hit the red zone. Stop that. Now. We got The Man at 4-yard completions in Driver. If you need a four yard completion that often turns into 7 yards, Donald Driver is your man. Now you got 2nd and 3 and you're in the red zone. The opponent is now s****** a brick. In '08, I saw a lot of 2nd and 8s or 2nd and 9s in the red zones. I don't want to see any more of that crap.

Aggression. It needs to be Mike McCarthy's favorite word. We know he can do it and we know he's good at it. He proved it in '07, but then got this stupid idea in '08 that we need "balance."

"zombieslayer" wrote:

ya I agree here about the balance thing; I figure he did the balance thing to keep the D guessing; but when we dont have that good of a running game. Its not going to work well.

I also saw that this year - we hit the red zone and ending up having to FG wayyyy to many times. Cant even get the last 10 yards for the score.

For many teams its almost a given once they get into the red zone they score for the pack it was just about the opposite.

Except when it came to our wide recievers (got to love em). And like you said I think even finley even caught one there in the end zone.
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I also saw that this year - we hit the red zone and ending up having to FG wayyyy to many times. Cant even get the last 10 yards for the score.

For many teams its almost a given once they get into the red zone they score for the pack it was just about the opposite.

Except when it came to our wide recievers (got to love em). And like you said I think even finley even caught one there in the end zone.

"Dulak" wrote:

Yes, that drove me nuts.

And agreed about our WRs. They're awesome. They're playmakers. One of the reasons why teams win games is they figure out ways to get the ball into the hands of their Playmakers. Steve Smith is a Playmaker. Randy Moss is a Playmaker. Leon Washington is a Playmaker. Both Gregorious and Donald Driver are Playmakers. We got two on our O. Get the ball into their hands in the Red Zone and let them do their magic.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
yooperfan
15 years ago
Improve the offensive line which is where it all begins.
Hire a "real" offensive coordinator who is aggressive go for the throat kind of coach who does not play the dual role of head coach.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (18h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (18h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (18h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
14m / Around The NFL / wpr

25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

29m / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.