Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Could be the steal of the century if this guy pans out. Taylor, Stoneburner and Bostick are gonna have to really step it up if they want to be around week 1.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
Pack93z
10 years ago
Bane... kind of a fitting image for this kid.. everything you read about him. Tortured soul type of person.

UserPostedImage

Exhibit A.

NFL Media recently provided a broad, vague assessment of former Oregon tight end Colt Lyerla, calling him “⭕verly emotional and prone to outbursts following a dysfunctional childhood that offered little direction and much confusion related to a divorce.”

In March 2013, Lyerla had one specific outburst that could create some red flags for one or more NFL teams interested in Lyerla. At that time, Lyerla posted multiple Twitter messages expressing support for the idea that the mass shooting at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut were in some way the result of a governmental conspiracy.

“The parents of the kids that supposedly died in the sandy hook situation are liars,” Lyerla tweeted and later deleted, according to Graham Watson of Yahoo! Sports.

The University of Oregon at the time denounced Lyerla’s tweets on the topic, calling them “insensitive and offensive.” Lyerla was dismissed from the team in October 2013 for an unspecified rules violation, and he later pleaded guilty to cocaine possession.

source  wrote:

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
More about his childhood.. I am thinking much of this weighed in on giving him a chance here in Green Bay.

Childhood story. 
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
sschind
10 years ago

I don't think there are many who have a problem with this signing.

Hopefully the young man realizes what Ted has done for him, considering 32 teams passed on him in the draft, 32 teams passed on immediately signing him as an UDFA and 31 teams passed on giving him a tryout.

He was the 90th guy signed to fill out a 90 man roster, hopefully he learns real fast that using the different "social media" outlets is not going to get him anywhere.

I think we all will find out real quick whether this guy is serious about being a ball player, I said it earlier, time to grow up.

Wish him all the luck in the world, he could be something special in a year or 2, if not sooner, he just needs to do the work.

Originally Posted by: buckeyepackfan 

You are probably right. Most who would be against the signing are probably fans of other teams who are upset they didn't go after him once they find out what kind of talent he has. Of course the same thing can be said for Packers fans. If he had signed with the Bears he would have been called a low life scumbag thug by many of the same fans who think he is a great signing for the Packers. I guess that is just the way it works in pro sports. For most people your team can do no wrong.

yooperfan
10 years ago
Sounds like if a support system can be developed for this kid in Green Bay, much like he had in Hillsboro, he might have a chance as he continues to mature.
He could give the Packers a boost considering his considerable talent.
I hope the kid makes it.
This is the kind of of story that makes for books and movies.
uffda udfa
10 years ago
Jimmy Graham is someone he should reach out to, if he hasn't already. Jimmy Graham has a pretty interesting story much like Driver. Two of what are surely many examples of people who overcame much early difficulty to go on to great careers.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

play2win
10 years ago
There is huge risk with signing this kid. There is no question about that. But, Ted Thompson, Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff feel they can give him a real opportunity to turn his life around. Amazing that such a bright person, with a good support network, could flame out and make such poor decisions the way he did his last year at Oregon.

I'm not sold that he makes this team. Sure, he has talent, but, we will have to see if he has enough to beat out players like Bostick, Rodgers, Taylor and Stoneburner. Does he have enough smarts to make the connection with Aaron Rodgers, to truly dedicate himself to making the most of this gift he has been given? Will he be able to keep his shit together? He hasn't proven that he can.

Green Bay is giving him a chance to get his life and priorities right. We will have to see what he does with that one. I'm hoping for the best.

This 2014 53 man roster is going to be tight. Really tight, and very tough to crack.

Thanks Pack93z for the link on the story of his childhood. He has certainly been dealt a tough road.
uffda udfa
10 years ago
If Bob McGinn is right, we lost a lot of "league cred" by signing him.

@BobMcGinn Rest assured 31 other teams raised eyebrows & wondered about leadership/direction in GB after Lyerla signing
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

mi_keys
10 years ago

Of course the same thing can be said for Packers fans. If he had signed with the Bears he would have been called a low life scumbag thug by many of the same fans who think he is a great signing for the Packers.

Originally Posted by: sschind 

In all fairness, the team you choose to play for says a lot about you. If Ghandi had played for the Bears he'd have been a low life scumbag thug.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool
10 years ago
A broke clock is right more often than Bob McGinn. Why would any NFL team worry about the Packers? That makes absolutely no sense. One would think they have enough to worry about with their own team.

The Packers didn't sign him to a 10 year $200 million contract for crying out loud. They added him to their 90 man roster. Quite a bit of over reaction to this I believe.

This move puts everything on Colt Lyerla. The Packers have no risk in this move, none whatsoever. If anything at all, the league would give the Packers CREDIT for being willing to give a young man a second chance.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (1h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (2h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (2h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

22-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.