uffda udfa
10 years ago

I don't know what to make of some of his picks, but he did get some good players. Though there was no question he let need play a big part of his decision making, I'm left wondering how often this really does happen.

I absolutely hated our C and CB picks, but what do I know? I felt we had far better options at those selection points. Also felt we had BAL, PIT and ARI in front of us nabbing many of our targets

Wrapping this up, we landed the best S in Clinton-Dix and the most productive WR in the draft in Adams, who looks like a Sterling Sharpe clone to me. We hit on a NT/DT/DE prospect we have to simply trust will be good. Added one of the most productive TEs in the draft with the best YAC, and exceptional cut blocking skills. Adding the OLB Bradford was interesting. He does play with abandon and was effective. Abbrederis and Janis make us one of the deepest WR groups in the NFL. Abby also doubles as a reliable KR.

I feel we are still deficient at both ILB and NT, and that we could have found a better CB prospect. Hoping this is not the case. Thought our D could have been bolstered a bit better.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I've read this a few times here about Davante Adams and Sterling Sharpe. I don't understand the connection? Sharpe was a 4.4 flat guy. Adams is well north of 4.5. Why the comparison? Sharpe was a Top 10 guy. Adams was never thought of in the same regard as Sterling.

koolaid.jpg You have insufficient rights to see the content.
UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

DakotaT
10 years ago

I've read this a few times here about Davante Adams and Sterling Sharpe. I don't understand the connection? Sharpe was a 4.4 flat guy. Adams is well north of 4.5. Why the comparison? Sharpe was a Top 10 guy. Adams was never thought of in the same regard as Sterling.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

You masturbate on forty times too much. The comparison to Sterling Sharpe is about hands and body strength. We made the same comparisons when Jones was drafted, unfortunately, Jones never fit the bill. Adams looks like a better pass catcher to me. Let's hope he is a great route runner too.
UserPostedImage
sschind
10 years ago

Every team needs good players. That is why you always draft the best player available. It is quite simple.

Now it is up to the coaches to maximize the talent these players have.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And hope to hell the best player available isn't a RB every single time. That would suck. 4th round rolls around and the highest rated player on his board is a RB and Ted says "damn, we already drafted 3 of them but Zero says we have to take the highest rated player on our board so I guess we go with another one."

uffda udfa
10 years ago

You masturbate on forty times too much. The comparison to Sterling Sharpe is about hands and body strength. We made the same comparisons when Jones was drafted, unfortunately, Jones never fit the bill. Adams looks like a better pass catcher to me. Let's hope he is a great route runner too.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Hmmmm. Tell the same to NFL scouts, GM, and the like. 40 time is important or they wouldn't use it as a measure for a WR. It isn't preeminent but to compare Sharpe and Adams is one of the oddest things I think I've ever heard. The reps on the bench by Adams weren't overly impressive. He can jump and has good hands...those appear to be his calling cards. I don't think he's very gifted in the speed domain at all. He looks sluggish to me. He said he's never been caught. I watched one of his highlight reels where someone did just that. What should've been a 90+ yard TD ended with him being tackled at the opposing 30. Wind it to about :35 in.

Most of his highlights are versus uniforms from teams you've never seen in your life. He did have some nice plays vs. USC that weren't hit. He doesn't look very quick to me. James Jones wasn't either and maybe that's why the comparison. So, 40 time would play a large role in being compared to JJ. I know it'll be said over and over about Ted Thompson and his 2nd round WR's but a lot of the staff that was there when we took all those past 2nd rounders is gone. This 2nd rounder stands on it's own. Let's see how he does. I don't have high hopes for him...I have higher hopes for Abbrederis even with his limited athleticism.

UserPostedImage
Ted Thompson sits on his hands per former GM: "because they’ve had 25 fricking years of great quarterbacks. Of course it works. Try it without a special quarterback."

steveishere
10 years ago
Adams ran a 4.47 at his pro day
steveishere
10 years ago

Hmmmm. Tell the same to NFL scouts, GM, and the like. 40 time is important or they wouldn't use it as a measure for a WR. It isn't preeminent but to compare Sharpe and Adams is one of the oddest things I think I've ever heard. The reps on the bench by Adams weren't overly impressive. He can jump and has good hands...those appear to be his calling cards. I don't think he's very gifted in the speed domain at all. He looks sluggish to me. He said he's never been caught. I watched one of his highlight reels where someone did just that. What should've been a 90+ yard TD ended with him being tackled at the opposing 30. Wind it to about :35 in.

Most of his highlights are versus uniforms from teams you've never seen in your life. He did have some nice plays vs. USC that weren't hit. He doesn't look very quick to me. James Jones wasn't either and maybe that's why the comparison. So, 40 time would play a large role in being compared to JJ. I know it'll be said over and over about Ted Thompson and his 2nd round WR's but a lot of the staff that was there when we took all those past 2nd rounders is gone. This 2nd rounder stands on it's own. Let's see how he does. I don't have high hopes for him...I have higher hopes for Abbrederis even with his limited athleticism.

Originally Posted by: uffda udfa 

at :35 in the guy who tackles him is Quinton Byrd who ran a 4.3 40 time. The fact that Adams even got that much separation to begin with is impressive. Not many human beings are that fast.
DakotaT
10 years ago
And what did Jerry Rice time as a rookie.

Some of you guys are pissing in cheerios that don't need to be pissed in right now. How about we let these go to camp and see what they have. Dix will be a day one starter, and Adams will either be 3rd or 4th wide receiver. The rest of them, none of us know. You don't have to be rah rah Buckeye, but you don't need to be pessimistic dicks either.

UserPostedImage
uffda udfa
10 years ago

at :35 in the guy who tackles him is Quinton Byrd who ran a 4.3 40 time. The fact that Adams even got that much separation to begin with is impressive. Not many human beings are that fast.

Originally Posted by: steveishere 

That is an EXCELLENT tidbit, Steve. Very impressive. It would make sense a 4.34 guy would be able to catch Adams.

Can't wait to see if he has the goods or not.

Dakota...I like some of these picks and some I don't. I'm not sure or believe it should be a requirement to be pro or con on any of these guys. These are MY impressions...may not be yours. I studied all the top guys the best a nobody like me can through all the available outlets. Of all the things I read and watched, Adams was not one of the guys I hoped we'd end up with. I liked Latimer, Matthews. Moncrief. I was okay on Lee (worried about injuries) and okay on Robinson (speed concerns). Picking Adams was a big surprise and letdown to me. Denver took Latimer shortly after we took Adams and Colts got Moncrief a full round later. Very anxious to seeing those guys and their careers. I don't think Adams has star potential... I think he'll be a nice possession guy and maybe a help in the redzone but we'll see. I wanted a guy who I felt had better #1 WR potential.
UserPostedImage

play2win
10 years ago
As a fun review, and I've never seen this in all my days studying drafts, Walters came out with grades and explanations for every single pick made through all 7 rounds:

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php 

Really cool.

As for my Sharpe comparison with Davante Adams, it is based purely on his cut and stature. Spitting image of Sterling Sharpe to my eyes. I believe Adams will prove to be a far better player in time. I really wish they had given the kid the 84, but he will certainly make his own mark.

I disagree with you uffda. I believe he will rival the best WRs ever to put on a Packers uniform.

With Adams' ability to come down with nearly every ball thrown his way, and Aaron Rodgers in the very prime of his career, I can see these two putting together some epic numbers as QB/WR for as long as they are together. I'm thinking All-Pro and maybe more for the kid. Just my early perspective on the pick, and it is fine if you think differently. No worries. Believe me when I say I was preferring Latimer too at the time.
uffda udfa
10 years ago

As a fun review, and I've never seen this in all my days studying drafts, Walters came out with grades and explanations for every single pick made through all 7 rounds:

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php 

Really cool.

As for my Sharpe comparison with Davante Adams, it is based purely on his cut and stature. Spitting image of Sterling Sharpe to my eyes. I believe Adams will prove to be a far better player in time. I really wish they had given the kid the 84, but he will certainly make his own mark.

I disagree with you uffda. I believe he will rival the best WRs ever to put on a Packers uniform.

With Adams' ability to come down with nearly every ball thrown his way, and Aaron Rodgers in the very prime of his career, I can see these two putting together some epic numbers as QB/WR for as long as they are together. I'm thinking All-Pro and maybe more for the kid. Just my early perspective on the pick, and it is fine if you think differently. No worries. Believe me when I say I was preferring Latimer too at the time.

Originally Posted by: play2win 

I want to make sure I understood correctly... Are you saying Davante will be a much better player than Sterling, or better than what I have him pegged for? Sterling played in the SEC against real competition. Those Fresno guys are scary prospects due to their competition. I'm sure he'll be better than our last Fresno guy...Chastin West.

It is interesting Jordy ran better than Davante. However, Jordy's vertical is 8.5 less than Adams. Jordy's vertical is nearly the same as Abbrederis. Jordy sure seems to know how to go up and get it but he is a couple of inches taller than Adams.

UserPostedImage

Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (32m) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (35m) : *without
Mucky Tundra (37m) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (54m) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (1h) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (1h) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (3h) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (3h) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (7h) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (8h) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (8h) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.