Mucky Tundra
10 years ago
Nick Perry prefers right outside linebacker to left 

On the field, Green Bay Packers outside linebacker Nick Perry charges ahead full bore toward the quarterback, but in the locker room Thursday he was treading very lightly.

The topic: why Perry isn't being used more on the right side.

It's a subject many people have considered given the impact he has had rushing from that spot, but when asked to say how he really feels about it, Perry chuckled.

"I can't do that," he said.

So, should they try Perry more from the ROLB? If he shows promise, do they flip him and Clay next year?
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
DarkaneRules
10 years ago
Well he got his sack on the right side I think. He is a saving grace in the run game and I think I heard the coaches like him defending the run on the left side. But yeah Mucky I think you gotta consider a permanent switch but we just gotta get them both healthy together for a whole season first!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
beast
10 years ago

I agree and think it's very clear, you got to think strongly about switching him. Matthews might not be happy about it, but the coaches got to do what's best for the team.

And Matthews can play both sides very well, Perry seems to only play one side very well. So let Perry play that side and let Matthews tee off on the RT which is said to be the worse tackle so shouldn't Matthews numbers go up anyways?

If it works it'd be a win/win in my mind.
UserPostedImage
Mucky Tundra
10 years ago

I agree and think it's very clear, you got to think strongly about switching him. Matthews might not be happy about it, but the coaches got to do what's best for the team.

And Matthews can play both sides very well, Perry seems to only play one side very well. So let Perry play that side and let Matthews tee off on the RT which is said to be the worse tackle so shouldn't Matthews numbers go up anyways?

If it works it'd be a win/win in my mind.

Originally Posted by: beast 

The problem with sticking Clay at RT is that teams generally put the lesser of the two pass blocking Ts there but they tend to be better run blockers and teams run more that way (in theory anyway, if anyone has some numbers it'd be appreciated).

So I guess the worry is Clay getting beat up in the running game by absorbing blocks. On the other hand, Clay's improved his game vs the run and you could always throw a big in front of him on the line (Jones? Worthy?) to chew up the blocks.
“Nah. I like having the island. It’s pretty cool...not too many visitors”
UserPostedImage
"I’ve got it." -Aaron Rodgers
DakotaT
10 years ago
We should get Perry on the right, Neal on the left, and Matthews from the middle. Get your pass rushers on the field all at the same time. We have so many good players, it's criminal we have such a lousy coach.
UserPostedImage
DarkaneRules
10 years ago

We should get Perry on the right, Neal on the left, and Matthews from the middle. Get your pass rushers on the field all at the same time. We have so many good players, it's criminal we have such a lousy coach.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Sounds like a variation of the psycho package. Buuut first we gotta stop that damn run!
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
DakotaT
10 years ago

Sounds like a variation of the psycho package. Buuut first we gotta stop that damn run!

Originally Posted by: DarkaneRules 

And the screen pass, and the drag routes. Ah fuck it, let's just go back to outscoring people. [grin1]
UserPostedImage
beast
10 years ago

The problem with sticking Clay at RT is that teams generally put the lesser of the two pass blocking Ts there but they tend to be better run blockers and teams run more that way (in theory anyway, if anyone has some numbers it'd be appreciated).

So I guess the worry is Clay getting beat up in the running game by absorbing blocks. On the other hand, Clay's improved his game vs the run and you could always throw a big in front of him on the line (Jones? Worthy?) to chew up the blocks.

Originally Posted by: Mucky Tundra 

I was a bit surprised to learn that even when the Packers had Sitton and Bulaga on the rightside the Packers ran more often to the left side... why? Well the article explained because getting the defense to react to a possible run to the left side better set up play action from the right side. So play action teams might run it more to the left side...

Either way Matthews has shown he can play ROLB extremely well and that it doesn't matter which sides he's on, he can both make plays and get banged up. I really don't think it matter which side you put him on, he's going to make plays when healthy.
UserPostedImage
steveishere
10 years ago
They should have already made this switch because it's obvious that Perry is significantly more effective from the right side and Clay is good either way. My guess is if Dom sticks around they will make this change permanent sometime around week 9 next season.
Laser Gunns
10 years ago
I'm baffled as to why this has not happened already.

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : Amen Z2C, I hope all of you fathers have a terrific Fathers' Day. Be great fathers!!!
Zero2Cool (1h) : Happy Father's Day to the dad's
Zero2Cool (14-Jun) : YOU BROKE IT
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Welcome to "The Dead Zone" may the only Packer News we hear is positive!!
buckeyepackfan (14-Jun) : Trevor Lawrence-5yr 275mil-200mil guaranteed. J-10VE is next.
Mucky Tundra (13-Jun) : @AaronWilson_NFL #Packers have signed first-round pick Jordan Morgan to $14.185 million deal that includes $7.135 million signing bonus
jdlax (11-Jun) : Hahaha hellllllll no, Sunday is king! It's those Thursday night games that hurt
Mucky Tundra (11-Jun) : @AndyHermanNFL Looks like Tucker Kraft is out of the sling. Progress!
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : That's also my oldests birthday
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Thought it was I fucking hate SNF. I went what why it's consistently way better than any other game
Zero2Cool (11-Jun) : Whoa. I read that so wrong before Jared lol
wpr (10-Jun) : that's great jdlax
jdlax (10-Jun) : God I hate the Shithawks
jdlax (10-Jun) : Sunday Night fucking Football
jdlax (10-Jun) : I just got my tickets to represent in Seattle December 15th woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Martha Careful (9-Jun) : I really enjoyed game 1 of the Stanley Cup final. Sergei Bobrovsky G - FL was incredibly good.
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : *NFL
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Pads or no pads, welcome to the N
Mucky Tundra (4-Jun) : @ByRyanWood Rashan Gary just steamrolled Jordan Morgan on a bull rush. Drove right over him to the ground.
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : God and a lot of money brought Reggie to GB
Mucky Tundra (3-Jun) : yep. became the highest paid defensive player in the league and 3rd highest behind Elway and Marino
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Packers signed second-round pick Javon Bullard
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Reggie White got something like 4 years $17m total right?
buckeyepackfan (3-Jun) : 110mil guaranteed!!!
Zero2Cool (3-Jun) : Justin Jefferson. 4/$140m ??? wow
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @AndyHermanNFL Sean Rhyan getting some reps at center in walkthroughs. They are rotating guys everywhere.
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : or that might have been an individual drill thing
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : that was from the 29th but I've seen other combs (including Rhyan@C)
Mucky Tundra (31-May) : @ByRyanWood Without Elgton Jenkins and Zach Tom, #Packers starting OL: Rasheed Walker, Jordan Morgan, Josh Myers, Sean Rhyan, Andre Dillard.
Martha Careful (31-May) : I have never seen an OTA, but who is lining up at LT and RG with starters? or is it all individual drills?
Zero2Cool (30-May) : Bears are the first team to be selected for Hard Knocks
dfosterf (29-May) : Andy Herman and his Pack a day podcast put up GB strengths yesterday. This morning he did weaknesses. They are both very good.
Zero2Cool (25-May) : Yes.
beast (24-May) : Does he say what it is?
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Christian Watson believes he has discovered the root cause his soft-tissue leg injuries
Zero2Cool (22-May) : Savage played last half of season with tear in rotator cuff
Zero2Cool (22-May) : SISSIES!!!!
Mucky Tundra (22-May) : Sounds like both Kraft and Tom were injuried before OTAs began
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Not serious but waiting for strength and conditioning coach referwnces.
buckeyepackfan (22-May) : Tom and Kraft both injured(pectoral muscle),
Zero2Cool (20-May) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

15-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

13-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

12-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

11-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

9-Jun / Around The NFL / beast

6-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

4-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

3-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2-Jun / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.