Rios39
12 years ago

Weren't the Packers behind the entire game, thus always in chase mode? I'm just nit-picking, I understand what you're getting at. I had this shitty feeling when they didn't convert on 1st down and the clock didn't move on the previous possession that they should have just run out the clock since they were only at the 15 and got the ball to start the 2nd half.

Originally Posted by: musccy 

It got us into a a rough spot just because then we had to convert a bunch of 2 point conversions. as opposed to coming out after half down but just 6 I believe it was.

Both the O and D has to be better than that performance or we simply wont beat good teams. In 2010 we got out to a sluggish start on offense as well. 2009 too I believe.

blank
porky88
12 years ago

Good post but I was expecting more pass rush from the 49ers. We struggled a bit early with pass protection but later in the game it was completely fine. Newhouse out-performed my expectations.

Originally Posted by: Rios39 

That was more scheme than it was Newhouse, in my opinion. San Fran's interior defense kicked our ass. They did a good job of containing Rodgers by keeping him within the pocket. Rodgers is dangerous outside the pocket, so the 49ers didn't take as many chances early. It was a great game plan. Rodgers started to get outside late in the game, but even then, the 49ers were still after him. They rattled him, so they did their job.

Rios39
12 years ago
I disagree I seen a lot of time and a decent pocket for Rodgers. Sure they had the odd break down but for the most part I place way more blame on rodgers and the WR position. We struggle in man to man.
blank
dfosterf
12 years ago
I'm not interested in how they respond unless that includes winning the game. Philosophical/ mental b.s./ psychology crapola is for college kids. college athletes, and friggin' boosters. This is the GD NFL- aka not for long. I'm more interested in seeing whose job is now on the fucking line for losing a home-opener on the field that ostensibly holds the biggest home field-advantage in the mother-fucking NFL.
blueleopard
12 years ago
We went against the best front seven in the NFL. Their line gets pressure and there's no LB corps as speedy as San Francisco's.

Add the fact that the 49ers used a good mix of zone and man, and it left Rodgers frustrated. I'm surprised he only threw one pick.

The defense is still pretty bad.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Pack93z
12 years ago
The line play, IMO, was not an issue today. Rodgers busted contain early in the game after there wasn't anything open.

The Niner's played physical press coverages and we did somewhat of a poor job getting open. That and the short drops had more to do with any duress than breakdowns in pass protection.. at least from what I seen in first glance.

We can dice it up in any fashion.. the Packers got punched in the nose and bloodied... they have to become a more complete and physical team if they expect to win a round two game with the Niners this season.

No more winning pretty.. we have to make a decision that we wanna become the fighter on the block. We gotta want to stick people.. sting them, make them worry about that next hit. We need a bully on the defense.. and enforcer.. someone that scares both the opponents and the teammates that screw up.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
porky88
12 years ago
I don't think you can blame one specific area. There were flaws all over the place. I agree Rodgers played poorly and I second concerns on the wideouts. However, their rush up the middle was great. The reason you didn't see Aldon Smith or Ahmad Brooks coming off the edge on Newhouse was that they were playing containment on Rodgers. That or they looped them around and blitzed them up the middle. The 49ers went after Saturday and Lang and opted to let Rodgers stay in the pocket. It's similar to how teams defend Mike Vick. It's not a pass rush designed for statistics, but it's very effective, and the Packers had no adjustment for it.
Pack93z
12 years ago

I'm not interested in how they respond unless that includes winning the game. Philosophical/ mental b.s./ psychology crapola is for college kids. college athletes, and friggin' boosters. This is the GD NFL- aka not for long. I'm more interested in seeing whose job is now on the fucking line for losing a home-opener on the field that ostensibly holds the biggest home field-advantage in the mother-fucking NFL.

Originally Posted by: dfosterf 

Normally.. I agree... but this team is soft. They have been soft.. maybe this will wake their asses up.. if it doesn't.. we will not be hoisting the Lombardi. That is my point.. they have to change how they play.

Mostly that is on defense.. but that also applies to the offense in the running game.

They can talk about a fluke.. they can talk all they want about lack of respect or bad day.. this team simply needs to become tougher.. they need to become physical. They need to start smacking the hell out of the opposition.

Otherwise they will be talking about paybacks, excuses or whatever again this offseason.

No college crapola.. they need to know they are soft and wanna change it. Burnett's attempt of a leaping stick on Gore by the goalline is the type of bullshit they pull, trying to stick someone in place of driving right through someone and driving him into the turf.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rios39
12 years ago

The line play, IMO, was not an issue today. Rodgers busted contain early in the game after there wasn't anything open.

The Niner's played physical press coverages and we did somewhat of a poor job getting open. That and the short drops had more to do with any duress than breakdowns in pass protection.. at least from what I seen in first glance.

We can dice it up in any fashion.. the Packers got punched in the nose and bloodied... they have to become a more complete and physical team if they expect to win a round two game with the Niners this season.

No more winning pretty.. we have to make a decision that we wanna become the fighter on the block. We gotta want to stick people.. sting them, make them worry about that next hit. We need a bully on the defense.. and enforcer.. someone that scares both the opponents and the teammates that screw up.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Also keep in mind that on 1 occasion where Rodgers could potentially drove us down to tie the game or put us within a FG with 8-9? mins or so left he threw a crucial pick. Then in the very same circumstances first play he threw what SHOULD have been a pick 6 to blow it again (caught some luck). He did not play well.

On the last play of the game the 49ers showed their hand on a blitz. Rodgers motioned to Nelson and they nodded and immediately went deep. They did the same thing in NY last year but the difference is this time the DB was playing off and way in behind Nelson. It was a poor idea and play. Even if Nelson runs a simple slant and the ball comes out hot it's an easy first down. I was not pleased with that read at all.

The 49ers will give you contested yards underneath, you just gotta be patient. This was a very poor game by Rodgers and the WR group not named cobb and finely.
blank
dfosterf
12 years ago

Normally.. I agree... but this team is soft. They have been soft.. maybe this will wake their asses up.. if it doesn't.. we will not be hoisting the Lombardi. That is my point.. they have to change how they play.

Mostly that is on defense.. but that also applies to the offense in the running game.

They can talk about a fluke.. they can talk all they want about lack of respect or bad day.. this team simply needs to become tougher.. they need to become physical. They need to start smacking the hell out of the opposition.

Otherwise they will be talking about paybacks, excuses or whatever again this offseason.

No college crapola.. they need to know they are soft and wanna change it. Burnett's attempt of a leaping stick on Gore by the goalline is the type of bullshit they pull, trying to stick someone in place of driving right through someone and driving him into the turf.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

Looks like the same defense to me. When does the accountability start? Looks like the same offensive line, also. Looks like the same running game, too. We all know the answer. We have to lose more games before there is any mention of accountability. We roll like a college town in our blind faith, also. There is a lot to be said for that in a back-woods-NFL-town, but what's wrong with demanding excellence when it's so closely achievable?