dhpackr
12 years ago

Well yesterday I can't argue that fact. The refs making Detroit use 2 challenges on calls that were obviously wrong. The fumble to me should of been called down but because you really couldn't see the ball come out it sure looked like he was down. And that td was plain as day a catch that they called incomplete.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

there were bad calls on both sides...
tramon williams was called for a pass interference on a play he was clearly looking at the ball, desmond bishop for roughing the passer, I think Soto had a play where he stole the ball away that was reversed....

The lions lost because they were beaten by a better team

So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Zero2Cool
12 years ago

Well yesterday I can't argue that fact. The refs making Detroit use 2 challenges on calls that were obviously wrong. The fumble to me should of been called down but because you really couldn't see the ball come out it sure looked like he was down. And that td was plain as day a catch that they called incomplete.

Originally Posted by: dhazer 

You still confuse your opinion as fact. Boring.

The return fumble was a good call, unfortunately for the Lions there was not indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field. Most of us complain that they don't let plays continue. They let this one go and got it right, based on video evidence.

The TD that wasn't by I believe Young ... I think close calls in the endzone should be called a TD so they can be reviewed to get the right call. The TD was plain as day during SLOW MOTION review, not live.

I don't understand how some can call themselves a Packers fan when they continually try to diminish and demean any an all accomplishments by them. Trying to act like someone who does not wear green an gold glasses by exaggerating the negatives on the team and minimizing achievements is just Vikings fan-like. Why is it so difficult to be objective and reasonable and enjoy when the Packers do well or have things fall in their favor?
UserPostedImage
earthquake
12 years ago

This is a minor gripe, more wistful than anything, but it would have been cool if some of Flynn's stats had gone to Rodgers. He had the chance for a truly historical season, but it was cut short by being pulled out of a total of 7 quarters this year. Allowing Flynn to shine yesterday was no doubt great for Flynn's career and will net him a ton of cash, but the fact remains he won't be on the Packers' roster next year and Rodgers will. I fail to see what the Packers really gained by showcasing Flynn in this way.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

Honestly I think this shows a lot of class from the packers, you can tell that the coaching staff and players all rally around Flynn, why would they want anything but the best for him? It was a virtual certainty after the patriots game that Flynn would get a shot somewhere in 2012. I don't know how you can feel anything but good for the guy who, as a 7th round pick and essentially an aftertought, and has done nothing but work his ass off and compete. The only reason the guy hasn't had a shot to play up until this point is that he's playing behind the best QB in the league.

In an essentially meaningless game, why not showcase a player that clearly has a lot of respect in the organization, when there is no doubt to whether he'll be with the team next year? You'd rather risk getting Rodgers hurt for stats, than pull a solid for Flynn?
blank
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
You'd rather risk Flynn getting hurt in a meaningless game when he's going to get a shot for another team anyway? In that case, why not start Harrell and ensure Flynn's safety?

The argument goes both ways.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
12 years ago
Ultimately, as I have said many times in the past, what I care about are the rings. The MVP race is fun to watch, but the award is handed out by the same hacks who anoint Tim Tebow the Next Great Thing one week and deride him for being a lousy quarterback the next, when any thinking person knew all along he was just a lousy quarterback. I don't put much stock in their bandwagon-jumping opinions. Their job is to get ratings and page views, and they will sell their souls in any sensationalistic way necessary to do it. They are as shallow as 12-year-old Valley Girls.
UserPostedImage
DoddPower
12 years ago
I think it was a wise decision to sit Rodgers. Who cares about stats. Rodgers should have plenty of other chances to break those records again as the National QB League continues to change. Besides, Sunday's performance by Flynn shot his value through the roof. Perhaps Ted can find a way to capitalize on that value to add a great player or a high draft pick to the team? I understand that will be incredibly difficult due to the high cap number and all that. However, Ted would not tag or sign Flynn to a new contract unless he already had a trade worked out, just like the Cassell situation. It's entirely possible Ted could do the same thing. Even if that doesn't work out, the highest possible compensatory pick is likely in order, which isn't too shabby either. Turning 7th rounds picks into 3-4th round picks or higher is certainly a recipe for success . . . especially with a great front office.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago
I have a problem with how they have been doing the going to the ground in the process of a catch rule lately.

The game before this one, Finley caught a ball with his knee on the ground. He was hit and knocked to the ground, where he lost the ball. My understanding is that he was down by contact before he hit the ground. They called it an incompletion. Which I believe is a wrong interpretation but at least consistent with the Johnson catch last year.

This week I saw 2 they ruled the other way.

The lions receiver caught the ball, got two feet down and before making a "football related move" was taken to the ground where the ball was jarred lose and the defender wrested the ball away. They called him down by contact when the contact with the ground obviously cause the ball to become dislodged and therefor a free ball. Since the ball itself didn't hit the ground.

The other was the Johnson catch on the sideline. Johnson got both feet down and stepped out of bounds going to the ground where he bobbled it. He was already out of bounds when he regained control of the ball and should have been called out.

I have watched many game where a WR gets both feet in, takes 2 steps out of bounds and then goes down losing control of the ball being called incomplete. Why the difference with Johnson? Why the difference in them middle of the field?

I am not complaining about the fact we got screwed on a call or that the officials blew it. I am complaining about the fact that the replay failed to be called consistently. The League backed up the failure on the Johnson call against the Bears last year. My guess is they will back up contradictory calls this time.

This is horrible inconsistency by the officiating. They need fix that rule.
I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
Dexter_Sinister
12 years ago

I have a problem with how they have been doing the going to the ground in the process of a catch rule lately.

The game before this one, Finley caught a ball with his knee on the ground. He was hit and knocked to the ground, where he lost the ball. My understanding is that he was down by contact before he hit the ground. They called it an incompletion. Which I believe is a wrong interpretation but at least consistent with the Johnson catch last year.

This week I saw 2 they ruled the other way.

The lions receiver caught the ball, got two feet down and before making a "football related move" was taken to the ground where the ball was jarred lose and the defender wrested the ball away. They called him down by contact when the contact with the ground obviously cause the ball to become dislodged and therefor a free ball. Since the ball itself didn't hit the ground.

The other was the Johnson catch on the sideline. Johnson got both feet down and stepped out of bounds going to the ground where he bobbled it. He was already out of bounds when he regained control of the ball and should have been called out.

I have watched many game where a WR gets both feet in, takes 2 steps out of bounds and then goes down losing control of the ball being called incomplete. Why the difference with Johnson? Why the difference in them middle of the field?

I am not complaining about the fact we got screwed on a call or that the officials blew it. I am complaining about the fact that the replay failed to be called consistently. The League backed up the failure on the Johnson call against the Bears last year. My guess is they will back up contradictory calls this time.

This is horrible inconsistency by the officiating. They need fix that rule.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

Of the 4 catches I mentioned. I see only one that the rule should apply to. The one were we took the ball away, which of course they blew the replay call on it. It was called correctly on the field. The Finley call and the Johnson TD calls were blown interpretations of the rule. The only one they actually got right in my opinion was the Johnson call on the sideline, which was inconsistent with the leagues explanation of why they call it the way they do.

I want to go out like my Grandpa did. Peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.
earthquake
12 years ago

You'd rather risk Flynn getting hurt in a meaningless game when he's going to get a shot for another team anyway? In that case, why not start Harrell and ensure Flynn's safety?

The argument goes both ways.

Originally Posted by: Nonstopdrivel 

It doesn't go both ways though, Flynn getting some experience for a worst-case scenario situation in the playoffs, and showing his value to the NFL is infinitely more important than a backup QB risking injury.

However, Rodgers playing to get some garbage stats in a meaningless game is infinitely less important than the injury risk.

I don't know what to tell you if you can't see the difference here.
blank
earthquake
12 years ago

Of the 4 catches I mentioned. I see only one that the rule should apply to. The one were we took the ball away, which of course they blew the replay call on it. It was called correctly on the field. The Finley call and the Johnson TD calls were blown interpretations of the rule. The only one they actually got right in my opinion was the Johnson call on the sideline, which was inconsistent with the leagues explanation of why they call it the way they do.

Originally Posted by: Dexter_Sinister 

As far as I know, the rule is different in the endzone vs regular field of play. In the endzone the receiver has to retain possession after going to the ground, not sure that this is required otherwise. Its a strange inconsistency that makes little sense.
blank