DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
You guys totally miss the whole point: Grant and Driver make too much money. There are guys chomping at the bit behind them on the roster who are younger, more hungry, and in both cases better players (Nelson and Jones should already be ahead of Driver). Green and Starks make me quite confident about getting rid of Grant. As for Driver, I would rather keep Chastin, and make that horrible decision of cutting a guy a year too late. Luckily we have a GM who doesn't give a shit about people's attachments to players and makes decisions for the future of the team not the present. We'll see how this all plays out.

The offensive line example does not apply to this situation because Clifton and Tauscher were still better than the guys beneath him. My main concern isn't Ryan Grant - it's signing Sitton, Finley, and Nelson; and if it's at the cost of Grant and maybe Driver - so be it.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
You don't need to cut Driver THIS year to sign those players NEXT year. I doubt anyone on the team has more of a hunger than Driver. They may be younger but they are not hungrier. They may even get more snaps than Driver. But he is going to get key receptions than they will. Perhaps he too will agree to a pay cut. I am not concerned about losing West etal to other teams. There will be another prospect along next year who looks just as raw. Just as promising.

Grant is needed on this team. Apparently Uncle Ted must think so too which is why he reworked the contract. You would base all your hopes on 2 RBs who have started 0 REGULAR season games. Who have a combined 101 yards rushing in the regular season. Yes Starks did start the playoff games but there is a difference between the grinding 16 regular season games and the playoffs.

Evidently the "Clifton-Tauscher Rule" applies to Grant and Driver as well.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
13 years ago
We don't need Grant or Driver. Wasted money in my opinion like Mrs. Dakota's endless array of scrapbooking supplies. Yes I took it there, and broke a major rule of guy code.

Buckeye said our running was non existent without Grant. Could it be that Brandon Jackson is as dumb as mud fence and Colledge run blocked like a woman? Running game picked up just fine when Starks came off the pup list.
UserPostedImage
The_Claymaker
13 years ago

True. That is why Ted Thompson kept Al Harris and Kampman and Tauscher... Wait a minute.

Seriously though, I know you were joking a little bit, but, come on, the idea of Ted Thompson keeping Driver and Grant around because of their past loyalty/talent compared to a young, talented player is ridiculous. And who is the talented player at RB? Nance? I think prior posters did a great job breaking down that idea(he's facing backups/roster cut players and how he looked last year). I see DD with us another year, but I can't wait to see Cobb this year. So, I don't disagree there.

Originally Posted by: coltonja 

Ryan Grant is only 28 without a ton of milage for a 28 year old running back. I'm not really buying this he's old/loyalty/nostalgia stuff. The past 2 years he has been healthy he ran for 1200 yards. I'm not saying he isn't done AFTER this year but I see no way he is cut before the season.
nerdmann
13 years ago

We don't need Grant or Driver. Wasted money in my opinion like Mrs. Dakota's endless array of scrapbooking supplies. Yes I took it there, and broke a major rule of guy code.

Buckeye said our running was non existent without Grant. Could it be that Brandon Jackson is as dumb as mud fence and Colledge run blocked like a woman? Running game picked up just fine when Starks came off the pup list.

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

You're a breath of fresh air Dakota. One thing that amazes me is the Starks haters. How can they talk shit about how he's injury prone, but ignore the fact that DD is breaking down? Who so you think is more likely to make it a full season?
As for Cliffy, I bet he's on the bubble too. We've got two younger players who can play his position. Newhouse and Sherrod. If they haven't messed with Sherrod's technique too much by shifting him to G. Does anyone REALLY think Cliffy isn't "injury prone?"
Being "injury prone" is one thing. Being injury prone in your late 30s is something else altogether.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Pack93z
13 years ago
At 2.5 million.. Grant isn't overpaid in my book.. and if he earns the incentives.. then he is being productive.

Basically.. Either he seen the writing on the wall or the Packers approached him about the concept of money vs value vs competition. Him redoing his deal, lowering it but guaranteeing the base tells us this. Coming off a serious injury as well more than likely played into it, so he took the protection. Good move for him, considering the market of veteran backs is weak.

Driver.. if he came to camp and showed little to nothing.. I would be with you on the bubble and moving him.. and if he doesn't redo his number for next season, IMO, this will be his farewell tour in GB and maybe a career.

But both of these guys and this situation are a product of a deep team and some tough roster cuts ahead.

And that is a good thing.

If they move Flynn (think it is probable if the market is there) that will allow for more roster flexibility in numbers.. And we have 10 million plus already to work with in re-upping guys.. I don't think we are in a dire position of have to cut to keep the core in tact. Don't forget Cliffy's 5 million comes off the books this next season and Drivers cap number reduces significantly next season even without an adjustment. Scott Wells  deal expires as well next season.. And a guy like Pickett's numbers  explode next season.. making his deal with a redo or we gain another close to 5 million next season in removing him. Jarrett Bush  expires next season as well.. that is another 1.5.

That is the beauty of the "next guy up" approach.. it gives you a ton of flexibility in building and keeping the core. There is risk in the approach.. the next guy has to produce, but it affords a plethora of options to a GM.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
13 years ago

You're a breath of fresh air Dakota.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That's cause we have a lot of fresh air here in Paradise. Not that skank nasty ass pollution where all the enlightened cultured people are! :)

Clifton can play out his contract, as long as his pass blocking holds up. He run blocks like a bitch too though.
UserPostedImage
Toddy
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers running back Ryan Grant has accepted a $1 million reduction in his salary this season in exchange for a guaranteed contract.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reported Wednesday that Grant's agent and the Packers agreed to lower Grant's base pay from $3.5 million to $2.5 million on Aug. 9. That decreased his cap salary from $4.797 million to $3.797 million, giving the Packers $1 million to spend on re-signing other veterans.

The tradeoff for Grant is that his new contract is fully guaranteed against both skill and injury, increasing his chance of making the team's final roster this season.

No other changes were made to the final year of the four-year, $18 million contract that Grant signed in August 2008, according to the newspaper.

Grant, an undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame who spent 2005 and 2006 with the New York Giants but never played for the team, rushed for more than 1,200 yards for the Packers in both 2008 and 2009. He was limited to one game for Green Bay last season before suffering ligament damage to his ankle.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821b48be/article/packers-rb-grant-restructures-contract-to-make-roster?module=HP11_headline_stack 

NFL.com Wire wrote:

wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago

Originally Posted by: DakotaT 

Other than Rodgers I doubt they "need" any 1 specific player. Especially at WR. It is great to have Matthews/Woodson/Williams/Raji on defense but they can win if they are missing one of these players. the same goes for the offense. Pull anyone out but Rodgers and they can still win. Does Grant and Driver add value to the team? Absolutely they do. If not they would be gone already. It is not a case of hanging on and getting nostalgic over old broken down players who don't help the cause.

BTW, 29 carries for 101 yards is not "picking up just fine". They need Grant. If for no other reason THEY OWE HIM $2.5 million this year. I said weeks ago that I expect Starks to get the bulk of the carries by the end of the season. Not so in the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, I think Starks will do well this year. But we have very little proof. (regular season) Grant has proven he is more than capable. Will be still be capable after his injury? I think so. He has a 4.5 avg after the first 2 preseason games.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
13 years ago
Finally, a five page thread. I'm curious if it was the content or if everyone just enjoys trying to slap me around? At least I found another tag team partner in Nerdman.

Just know this - if Driver gets caught from behind on a would be six points, or Grant fucks up a beautiful draw play like last week - I'll be there - ready to pounce. 🙂
UserPostedImage