nerdmann
13 years ago
I agree with Pack93z. I like Saine better than Nance. Only thing is, I read somewhere they were looking at Nance as the "third down" pass pro guy. Dunno. But I could see Grant getting cut. It's not just that he has no vision, can't get around the corner, doesn't catch the ball well or can't pass pro on third down. But he also got his contract by piling on the Favre situation. I think that could work against him.
I'd like to see how serious Starks' injury is first. For right now, I think Grant either makes the team or gets traded for a ROLB. They won't cut him outright if Starks is gonna be out for awhile.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

I knew it.

Just to let you know, when visiting NSD & Wade, I got up to 32 states (MN was 31 even though we just hit a sliver of it and Iowa was 32). I think I'll hit ND last. Maybe VR is right about something. :-"

Originally Posted by: zombieslayer 

Yeah you probably couldn't stomach an American porterhouse, cheap Quervo or Jack Daniels. Go visit the women again! 😄

Southern Minnesota and Iowa are almost as bad as driving through South Dakota and Kansas. You may wise up someday, and I'll be waiting!
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
If James Starks wasn't already nicked up, I'd put more thought into this.

If Starks is hurt worse than expected, or gets hurt again, the Packers are left with who as their primary running back?

Keep Ryan Grant, run the damn wheels off in '11 and prime James Starks to take over the quest for the hat trick in '12.
UserPostedImage
earthquake
13 years ago
Iowa is pretty bad to drive through, but hey, at-least its not Nebraska!

I grew up in GB but live in Iowa city now. Its almost like as soon as you go through Dubuque you just get straight, flat cornfields. Going west past Des Moines gets even worse.
blank
evad04
13 years ago
I've been silent long enough. Whenever I read nerdmann's post, the pervading thought I have is "where does he come up with this shit?" I mean, seriously, I'd bet half of the things he writes leave me totally confounded.

If this is is mean ... oh hell, it is mean. Sorry, but I can't bottle up the truth forever. Nerdmann -- I think you need to see someone, because you are critically deranged.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
Pack93z
13 years ago

I agree with Pack93z. I like Saine better than Nance.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

I thought maybe it would be Saine challenging for a roster spot ahead of Nance.. that was before any preseason action.

Personally.. again.. I think Grant sticks.. it would take a back clearly outperforming him to outweigh the benefits of keeping him.. although the salary does play into the consideration.. I haven't seen anyone outplay Grant yet this preseason.

I could just see how Grant may not be a Packers... just don't think he will not be a Packer at this point.

Point is.. the author is playing a game of what if.. and laying out the variables on the table.. but using a few carries in a preseason game is a stretch.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DoddPower
13 years ago
We need to keep Grant and pound him as hard as we can. He will be productive, net us some type of compensatory pick likely, and allows Starks to ease back into things. To expect Starks to be a starting back for a full season without one full off season in the NFL is asking a lot. However, is keeping Grant means not resigning one of our core players, than it's a no brainer. I wouldn't know if that's actually the case of not though.
nerdmann
13 years ago

I've been silent long enough. Whenever I read nerdmann's post, the pervading thought I have is "where does he come up with this shit?" I mean, seriously, I'd bet half of the things he writes leave me totally confounded.

If this is is mean ... oh hell, it is mean. Sorry, but I can't bottle up the truth forever. Nerdmann -- I think you need to see someone, because you are critically deranged.

Originally Posted by: evad04 

I love you man. Seifert weighs in:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/43866/would-the-packers-really-cut-ryan-grant 

Would the Packers really cut Ryan Grant?
By Kevin Seifert

Did the Green Bay Packers' 2011 season prove, once and for all, the value of an established 1-2 punch in the offensive backfield?

Or did it demonstrate how overblown that theory is?

[+] EnlargeRyan Grant
Howard Smith/US PresswirePackers running back Ryan Grant has 36 yards on eight carries this preseason.
That's the question I found myself asking while reading Tom Silverstein's analysis of the Packers' current backfield roster dilemma. In short, Silverstein sees three running backs with assured roster spots. Veteran Ryan Grant isn't one of them.

It's hard to imagine James Starks, John Kuhn or rookie Alex Green not making the final roster. It's been assumed that Grant would be part of that group as well, provided he returned healthy from an ankle injury that cost him most of last season. But the preseason performance of second-year player Dimitri Nance has at least given the Packers a more difficult decision than anticipated.

Nance is young and fresh-legged and, just as important, almost $4 million cheaper than Grant. Rare is the team that keeps four tailbacks unless one is a full-time returner or depth issues at other positions provide that flexibility. The Packers, however, could make reasonable arguments for keeping as many as seven receivers and maybe five tight ends. Something has to give at one of their offensive skill positions.

Normally, I would echo what coach Mike McCarthy said this spring: "If you look at history, you look at our history, running back is a position that you really don't have enough of. We play in the elements. Winning games in December and January outdoors, it's a big factor. We'll definitely make a conscious effort to always improve our running game."

Based on that theory, the Packers have already paid Grant a $1.75 million roster bonus this summer. But Silverstein's story hints at another element: Whether Grant has re-established himself as the same back he was before the injury. Here's how Silverstein put it: "Grant has missed some running opportunities this summer, including a poor decision on a draw play against the [Arizona] Cardinals, but he's also the kind of player who gets better with carries. The coaches might be seeing things others don't in the way Grant has run."

Grant has 36 yards on eight carries this preseason and figures to get extended playing time in Friday's preseason game at Indianapolis. If he hasn't fully recovered, it's not by much and probably perceptible only to a football professional.

Would something less than the pre-injury Grant be worth jettisoning in favor of, say, Nance? The bigger question is whether you trust the oft-injured Starks to be a reliable and weekly competitor. Starks had only 29 carries in the 2010 regular season and missed last week's preseason game because of an ankle injury.

KS wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
I actually think Ryan Grant is more of a product of the system he plays in instead of being overly talented. Use the money to lock up the real talent on the team. Remember, we pass first then run. We have quality people behind Grant, and Grant just isn't worth the money.

And Nerdman - I find no flaws in you!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
I explained it better then than now.. lol.

http://packershome.com/tabid/63/g/postmessage/postmessage.aspx?t=13293&f=4&q=187680 

Porky nailed my thoughts on Lang.. personally.. it is way to early to say on anyone.. just it could be a way for Lang to not make the roster. He has been here.. it is time to produce.. even though I think he is very talented I could see a way that he doesn't make it. Not probable but I think a Howard Green has a better chance of sticking than Lang.

Now onto Grant.. I think he is almost a lock, but his salary and absence last season could be tempting if others really step up. Now I think realistically, that Grant and Starks split the majority of the carries this season.. but if the Packers feel they have 3 good other options, that cap money may be tempting to re-up other core players.. or more of them.

Just thinking outside the box to foster discussion.. as like other threads of its ilk, it is too early to give anything other than theory to generate thought. Thought that was the point of these type of thread in general.. since we haven't seen jack on the field yet.

Originally Posted by: Pack93z 

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"