nerdmann
13 years ago
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-Finleys-2011-return-has-me-talking-football.html 

Over the holiday weekend, I ran into plenty of Packers fans up in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. No question they are talking repeat, however, the one name that always surfaced in our conversations was TE Jermichael Finley. And while talking educated football (something you always get with Green Bay fans), I started to think about the upcoming season and how lethal of a player Finley can be in Mike McCarthy’s offense.

Today, let’s think like a coach and discuss why Finley is the one player we should all look forward to seeing back on the field in 2011.

Jermichael FinleyICONThe Packers game plan is going to look solid with Finley back in the lineup.

Multiple Alignments: First thing I look at when breaking down the TE’s of today’s game. Are they a traditional “on the line Y” (think attached to the core of the formation) or are they the type of player that can be used as a receiver. With Finley, I see both. An athlete that can align as the TE in regular personnel (2 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB), and in the multiple spread looks we see every Sunday from the Packers. In the slot, as the “X” receiver backside of a 3x1 formation (isolates the TE vs. a CB or SS) and when the Packers use their empty sets. The Packers’ TE gives you options in any personnel grouping.

Impact vs. Lovie and the Bears: How do you defeat the Tampa 2 defense in Chicago? Get down the middle of the field and challenge middle linebacker Brian Urlacher and the two deep safeties. As part of the 4 vertical route scheme, double china-post and in play action. QB Aaron Rodgers and the Packers have issues vs. Lovie Smith and the Chicago defense, and adding Finley back to the mix allows them to test the top of the scheme—which produces explosive plays. Much easier to target the defensive scheme when you have the player to get it done.

Red Zone matchups: When I was playing in the NFL, it was Tony Gonzalez, Antonio Gates and Todd Heap. The three players you had to specifically game plan for once the ball crossed the 20-yard line. And that game plan got even more nervous when the ball was inside of the 10-yard line. TEs that can catch the ball, win vs. a safety and are an issue for any defensive coordinator. Finley can abuse man coverage and Cover 4 (quarters) will be easy to beat. Look for more Red 2 (CBs sink to create an almost 5-deep look) vs. Green Bay this season. Because I don’t have a real good answer to give you right now to defend him in the red zone.

Adding to the game plan: What is crazy about this post (and the converastions I had with fans over the weekend) is that we are talking about the defending Super Bowl champs. This isn’t a 7-9 team looking to get an impact player back into the lineup in hopes of making a playoff run. Instead, this Packers’ team is already loaded on offense with No.12 under center, plus the weapons they have at receiver and in the backfield. Getting Finley back just adds to what they already have—the best offense in the NFL. The type of player that is luxury to put into your Sunday game plan.

This guy makes me want to talk NFL football. Time to get this lockout settled—don’t you think?

Bowen wrote:

“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
millertime
13 years ago
Can't wait to see this guy play. BEAST MODE!
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
I hope Finley keeps his head on straight. He has the potential to be one of the best ever. With the weapons Ted Thompson is giving Rodgers this is going to be a very difficult O to prepare for - tons of flexibility and talent.
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
porky88
13 years ago
Finley is the best offensive weapon (non-QB) the Packers have had since Sterling Sharpe. He is that special of a talent. But durability is becoming an alarming issue. In two of his three seasons, he's been hurt. In fact, he's missed about as many games as he's played through that span. If he's healthy, he's special, but right now, it's a valid concern in my opinion.
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Finley is the best offensive weapon (non-QB) the Packers have had since Sterling Sharpe. He is that special of a talent. But durability is becoming an alarming issue. In two of his three seasons, he's been hurt. In fact, he's missed about as many games as he's played through that span. If he's healthy, he's special, but right now, it's a valid concern in my opinion.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

More so than Ahman Green as a dual running and receiving threat?

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
13 years ago
My biggest worry with Finley is his attitude. He's shown he's talented. I just worry about his thinking. Will he have the attitude Sharpe had when he was here?
UserPostedImage
porky88
13 years ago

More so than Ahman Green as a dual running and receiving threat?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

As much as I like Green, I think he benefited from running behind an outstanding offensive line. Green was a very good RB no doubt, but from a pure talent standpoint, Sharpe and Finley are the two best non QBs of the last two decades. I don't think Green had the talent those guys had or have.
blueleopard
13 years ago

I hope Finley keeps his head on straight. He has the potential to be one of the best ever. With the weapons Ted Thompson is giving Rodgers this is going to be a very difficult O to prepare for - tons of flexibility and talent.

Originally Posted by: PackerTraxx 

I hate how everybody wants the guy to "put his head on straight."

Just because he doesn't hold back when speaking his mind doesn't mean he's a total asshole. The worst thing he's done was say Rodgers didn't throw a good ball during his rookie year. After that, he's been fine. Has he been crying to the media when he doesn't get the ball?

Finley is a team guy. He just likes to have more fun than others. People seem to treat him like he's the next person to end up in Minnesota's love boat.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

As much as I like Green, I think he benefited from running behind an outstanding offensive line. Green was a very good RB no doubt, but from a pure talent standpoint, Sharpe and Finley are the two best non QBs of the last two decades. I don't think Green had the talent those guys had or have.

That is true, the OL was dominant. Javon Walker was a great talent too, but most fail to acknowledge it because it was brief and how he left. I'm not sure if I could put him by Sharpe, but Finley for sure.

UserPostedImage
coltonja
13 years ago

Finley is the best offensive weapon (non-QB) the Packers have had since Sterling Sharpe.

Better than Samkon Gado? Yeah right.

UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (2h) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (3h) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (4h) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (4h) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : I know it's probably to mess with the Colts but I'm just huffing copium honestly
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : So you're saying there's *a chance*?
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Packers officially listed QB Jordan Love (knee) as questionable for Sunday's game vs. the \Colts.
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Confirmed concussion for Tua
Mucky Tundra (13-Sep) : Yikes, possibly another concussion for Tua
Zero2Cool (13-Sep) : Who did you try dumping Cooks off onto?
dhazer (13-Sep) : glad my other trade was rejected Cook has 28 at halftime lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.