macbob
  • macbob
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
A little bit optimistic, but still remains to be seen how serious both sides are.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110303/PKR01/110303039/1058/Update-NFL-players-union-extend-CBA-s-expiration-date 

WASHINGTON A member of the players negotiating team says the union and the NFL have agreed to a 24-hour extension in labor talks.

Just hours before the end of the NFLs collective bargaining agreement, due to expire at midnight on Thursday, NFLPA executive committee member Jeff Saturday said the two sides opted to continue discussions aimed at maintaining the labor peace that the NFL has enjoyed since 1987.

The league and players union were meeting for a 10th day with mediator George Cohen.

Without a new CBA, the most popular sports league in America could lock out its players. The union also could decertify and have the players take their labor fight with the league to court.

The NFL has said in recent weeks it would not rule out pushing back the deadline if the parties were making progress in negotiations. Just before the Super Bowl, NFL lead negotiator Jeff Pash said: If youre making progress, you can stop the clock. Its not a Thelma & Louise-type situation, where you just go over the cliff.

Even President Barack Obama weighed in on the NFLs labor situation Thursday, when asked if he would intervene in the dispute.

Im a big football fan, Obama said, but I also think that for an industry thats making $9 billion a year in revenue, they can figure out how to divide it up in a sensible way and be true to their fans, who are the ones who obviously allow for all the money that theyre making. So my expectation and hope is that they will resolve it without me intervening, because it turns out Ive got a lot of other stuff to do.

With the clock ticking down, commissioner Roger Goodell and the NFLs negotiating team arrived at a federal mediators headquarters about 45 minutes ahead of NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith and his group.

Were working hard, Goodell said.

Also on hand for the NFL were Pash, outside counsel Bob Batterman, Green Bay Packers president Mark Murphy, New York Giants owner John Mara, Washington Redskins general manager Bruce Allen and several other league executives. Mara and Murphy are members of the leagues labor committee, which has the authority to call for a lockout if a new agreement isnt reached by midnight.

(Page 2 of 2)

Well stay at it as long as it takes, Pash said.

The sides no longer have months or weeks or days to reach a new CBA. If they dont get it done now, the league could see its 2011 season jeopardized, the first time in nearly a quarter-century that games could be lost to a labor dispute.

Since the 1987 players strike that shortened the season to 15 games with three of those games featuring nonunion replacement players there has been labor peace in the NFL. The foundation of the current CBA was reached in 1993 by then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue and union chief Gene Upshaw. It has been extended five times as revenues soared, the league expanded to 32 profitable teams, and new stadiums were built across America to house them.

The contract extension reached in 2006 was the final major act for Tagliabue, who then retired, succeeded by Goodell. An opt-out clause for each side was included in that deal, and the owners exercised it in May 2008 three months before Upshaw died.

Smith replaced Upshaw in March 2009.

Joining Smith at the mediation session Thursday were union president Kevin Mawae, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and about a dozen others, including current and former players.

The biggest sticking point all along has been how to divide the leagues revenues, including what cut team owners should get up front to help cover certain costs, such as stadium construction. Under the old deal, owners received about $1 billion off the top. They entered these negotiations seeking to add another $1 billion to that.

Among the other significant topics: a rookie wage scale; the owners push to expand the regular season from 16 games to 18 while reducing the preseason by two games; and benefits for retired players.

Rep. Jon Runyan, R-N.J., a former offensive lineman for the Philadelphia Eagles, said he was optimistic the two sides could reach an agreement without a stop in play.

I dont think either of them benefit from having a true lockout. And quite frankly, that business doesnt hit the ground running until August anyway, so they have a long time to figure it out, Runyan said.

Asked about the midnight deadline, he predicted, Theyll probably push it back.

Well stay at it as long as it takes, Pash said.

The sides no longer have months or weeks or days to reach a new CBA. If they dont get it done now, the league could see its 2011 season jeopardized, the first time in nearly a quarter-century that games could be lost to a labor dispute.

Since the 1987 players strike that shortened the season to 15 games with three of those games featuring nonunion replacement players there has been labor peace in the NFL. The foundation of the current CBA was reached in 1993 by then-commissioner Paul Tagliabue and union chief Gene Upshaw. It has been extended five times as revenues soared, the league expanded to 32 profitable teams, and new stadiums were built across America to house them.

The contract extension reached in 2006 was the final major act for Tagliabue, who then retired, succeeded by Goodell. An opt-out clause for each side was included in that deal, and the owners exercised it in May 2008 three months before Upshaw died.

Smith replaced Upshaw in March 2009.

Joining Smith at the mediation session Thursday were union president Kevin Mawae, New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and about a dozen others, including current and former players.

The biggest sticking point all along has been how to divide the leagues revenues, including what cut team owners should get up front to help cover certain costs, such as stadium construction. Under the old deal, owners received about $1 billion off the top. They entered these negotiations seeking to add another $1 billion to that.

Among the other significant topics: a rookie wage scale; the owners push to expand the regular season from 16 games to 18 while reducing the preseason by two games; and benefits for retired players.

Rep. Jon Runyan, R-N.J., a former offensive lineman for the Philadelphia Eagles, said he was optimistic the two sides could reach an agreement without a stop in play.

I dont think either of them benefit from having a true lockout. And quite frankly, that business doesnt hit the ground running until August anyway, so they have a long time to figure it out, Runyan said.

Asked about the midnight deadline, he predicted, Theyll probably push it back.

GBPressGazette wrote:

Since69
13 years ago
Yeah... might be just giving themselves time to figure out how long of a real extension they'll need.

But, it's still a good sign. A month ago they wouldn't have bothered.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
I think both groups know that they're still far from coming to an agreement. But I also think both groups know that they're losing face to the fans and that that damage is irreparable. Somehow, if it's at all possible, I feel the CBA situation will be resolved with a temporary or year-long solution so they have time to go over and smooth over the final thing. That's just my gut feeling though.
Pack93z
13 years ago
I think all the talking heads are under-estimating how damaging the ruling by Doty this week was for the owners.. not only did they lose their piggy bank in the lock out.. it tipped the hands of where the courts will side if this goes to court.

Jay Rockefeller weighing in on it only makes it more damning on their account..

The league and union both have much at stake in terms of overall dollars if the government starts looking into all the exemptions given to the league.

Players don't want to de-certify as it will assist the current plight in their cause but would severely alter their long term strength.

This doesn't even cross over into the damage it may do to the overall fan support and earning power of the league overall.

IMO.. there is too much to lose on both sides if they try to drag this thing out.. I think wisely they have realized that in the past couple days collectively.

I could be completely wrong.. but those are my beliefs.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Greg C.
13 years ago
I hope you're right, Pack. You mentioned a couple days ago that you thought the whole thing might get resolved soon, and at the time I hadn't heard anyone else say that. What happened today suggests that you may be onto something.

I agree that the Doty ruling was more damaging to the owners than has been generally acknowledged. If there's going to be a quick resolution, the balance needed to tip toward the players, at least initially, and that's exactly what has happened.
blank
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
As long as they keep talking something good is bound to come out of it.
UserPostedImage
flep
13 years ago
I'm convinced there will be an agreement, if only its is an interim one year deal on the premise that talks will continue to get a multi year deal.

This game runs on money and TV revenue plays a massive part.

If they don't make an agreement and we lose the 2011 season the TV companies will have the upper hand when negotiating new contracts and will want more for less dollar.

The owners don't want that at all. They are all busniess men and woman so will make an agreement to save losing face and most importantly dollars.
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I hope you're right, Pack. You mentioned a couple days ago that you thought the whole thing might get resolved soon, and at the time I hadn't heard anyone else say that. What happened today suggests that you may be onto something.

I agree that the Doty ruling was more damaging to the owners than has been generally acknowledged. If there's going to be a quick resolution, the balance needed to tip toward the players, at least initially, and that's exactly what has happened.

"Greg C." wrote:

The fact the Owners won't collect on the billions from TV, I think took their security blanket away and put them back at the bargaining table with more willingness to get a deal.

My understanding is, they wanted the TV money and a lockout because they still net the cash, PLUS don't have to pay any salaries which is basically like sitting at home and collecting a paycheck for 4 months and no termination consequences.

And without that, I think it puts them both in the best interest of coming to an agreement sooner rather than later.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago
This may sound strange, but I'd rather see us not have a 2011 season than seeing an 18-game season. You think our '10's injuries were bad - that's going to be NFL average with an 18-game season.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
13 years ago
Deadline move to the 11th.. and that will pretty much seal the deal that they will have it knocked out by then.

My guess.. the players need to examine the financial docs that the owners turned over.. and that will lead to a common ground on the money.

No 18 game season.

A rookie cap.

4th year limit on RFA

Franchise tag will survive but be altered some.. guessing no consecutive years tagging a sole player.

Bumped up benefits for the retired players of some sort.. but probably won't satisfy the likes of Ditka.. etc.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (7h) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (7h) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (10h) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (11h) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
47m / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

14h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.