Pack93z
13 years ago
A "snarky" look at Madison... creative writing but through part one missing a directive point.

For the record.. I am not supporting any points raised in this post.. more I find it entertaining that the writer attempted to draw a correlation of the two in state events.

BTW.. "d"d/"m"m/"y"y"y"y.. 😉

On Wisconsin, part one. 

This week, Catalan at Heart presents 'On Wisconsin', a multi-part look at the budgetary imbroglio Wisconsin finds itself in. By tracing the who, the how, the why and everything between, we will offer a seemingly tangential, always empirical and ultimately definitive look on the crisis. With snark.

Part one:

As far as Wisconsin political theatre goes, the drama from fourteen Senate Democrats refusing a call to quorum and escaping to Illinois to avoid a sure-to-lose vote on Governor Scott Walker's "budget repair bill" is without precedent. While the resulting schism is not starved for analogues to earlier affairs -- race relations, the original turmoil over unions, Bush/Kerry, Laverne and Shirley ending -- the connectedness of today's society has artificially amplified the fervor to a new critical mass. While feasible to have avoided or compartmentalized earlier affairs, one click of the mouse or opening of a vibrating phone or button press of a remote control assaults one with instant news and faster commentary. With tweets and status alerts and wall postings now the stuff of nightmares, a relentless force hunting and chasing regardless of the speed undertaken to get away or the tactics performed to elude its clutches.

But as far as Wisconsin in general goes, one need not look far to find commensurate histrionics. Only only needs to look to Green Bay. To look at Brett Favre and Ted Thompson.

A summary:

1992 -- Green Bay Packers general manager Ron Wolf hires Ted Thompson to serve as the assistant director of pro personnel.

1993 -- Thompson is promoted to director of pro personnel.

1997 -- Thompson is promoted to director of player personnel.

2000 -- Former Packers head coach Mike Holmgren, now the Seattle Seahawks head coach and general manager, hires Thompson to serve as vice president of football operations. Duties include but are not limited to: heading the scouting department, running the team's draft boards.

2005 -- Thompson is brought back to replace Mike Sherman as Packers general manager.

2005/2006 Season -- The Seahawks, with the players Thompson scouted and graded, make the Super Bowl. Holmgren: "Once Ted Thompson came on board and we settled down a little bit, we started making good decisions."

30/01/2006 -- Brett Favre -- noted prima donna, womanizer and then-Packers quarterback -- is noncommittal to returning the following season. Says Favre: "If I had to pick right now and make a decision, I'd say I'm not coming back."

25/04/06 -- Favre decides to return.

12/11/06 -- Packers head coach Mike McCarthy publicly states his wanting for Favre to return but also not wanting Favre to waffle on the decision. Seems reasonable enough, the NFL is a multi-billion dollar business, after all.

02/02/2007 -- Favre commits to returning to the Packers.

04/03/2008 -- Favre retires. His last throw: an interception in overtime in the NFC Championship game.

25/04/08 -- On 'Late Night with David Letterman', Favre says, "I mean it was never a clear-cut decision. I can't expect people to understand. I think people have all faced decisions at times where you never know."

11/07/08 -- Favre requests an unconditional release from the Packers. Official press release from the Packers: "The balls on this asshole."

14/07/08 -- Favre tells Republican State Television he wants to continue his playing career not in Green Bay but elsewhere.

07/08/08 -- Thompson trades Favre to the New York Jets after Favre rescinds his retirement. Packers fans are sharply divided:

Some appreciate Thompson's approach to building through the draft and locking players coming up for contracts in-place before said players hit the market. This approach -- the one which got Seattle to a Super Bowl, the one which built the Patriots a dynasty -- values smart-drafting to score cheap players in a salary cap league and also generally punting free agency -- an often-times bidding war on sometimes expensive, experienced players who may not be more than negligibly better than incoming rookies from the draft, unless a free agent is a generational talent that can be had for a fair contract, a la Charles Woodson -- or an asset who will outperform the dollars given to him.

Others cry foul on Favre's behalf -- for some their boyhood hero, for others the man they wish they could've been, for others the wanted-father-of-not-as-of-yet-conceived-children -- claiming he was railroaded out of town by a megalomaniac in Thompson, an evil sorcerer who didn't spend big money on free agents to make the team better in the short term. Because, damn the future, there is no time like the present! They largely declare themselves to be "Favre fans" -- not "Packer fans" -- and openly root for the monstrosity constructed by Thompson to lose.

11/02/2009 -- After the Jets miss the playoffs -- a disastrous end to a promising season -- Favre retires again.

28/04/09 -- Favre is granted an unconditional release. "No intention of returning to football," says Favre.

15/06/09 -- Favre admits to interest in playing again. Says his intention "isn't to create controversy".

17/07/09 -- With the Minnesota Vikings in pursuit of Favre -- one of two teams he originally wished to go to upon coming back from his first retirement -- Favre imposes a 30 July deadline on himself for deciding whether to return again.

28/07/09 -- Favre says he won't end his second retirement.

18/08/09 -- Favre ends his second retirement and signs with the Vikings.

03/08/2010 -- Per media reports, Favre tells the Vikings (hilariously close to the start of a presumed-to-be second season with the team) that he won't be returning.

04/08/10 -- Favre denies the sourced-reports.

16/08/10 -- Longtime friend and current-teammate Ryan Longwell, along with Jared Allen and Steve Hutchinson, fly on the owner of the Vikings' private jet to meet Favre in Mississippi. They do this to try, in person, to convince Favre to come back for another season. The season that not two weeks earlier he denied reports saying he wasn't coming back to play for.

17/08/10 -- Favre joins his teammates on the plane, coming back for what presumably is his last season.

06/02/2011 -- The Packers win the Super Bowl after overcoming fifteen players being lost for the season on injured-reserve, a testament to the calculated moves of Thompson to build depth in previous drafts and through shrewd in-season pickups off the scrap heap. Favre's successor, Aaron Rodgers, was brilliant leading up to and throughout the playoffs and earns Super Bowl MVP.

07/02/2011 -- Some Favre fans finally admit they were wrong. Hysterically, most just pretend the whole thing never happened and use images of Aaron Rodgers holding the MVP trophy as their Facebook profile picture.

During the Packers' civil war, one side stuck with a commitment to Thompson's process. To a methodology void of brash rhetoric and orgiastic decrees. The other side fabricated stories of Thompson's ineptitude (how dare he not trade for Randy Moss even though Moss wouldn't make the concessions for Green Bay that he would for the Patriots) and outright omitted salient points (like saying no overtures were made by the Packers to stop him from retiring the first time) and blamed all subsequent problems of the Packers on Ted Thompson or Favre no longer being on the team, regardless of either's proximity to the actual root cause.

It is in the Orwellian manipulation of Favre fans that non-tangential parallels can be drawn to now. Of how one side staunchly tries to uphold the democratic process. How that side stops a bill from a totalitarian entrance into law. Of how the other side's figurehead routinely lies or has a henchman do it for him. Of how that side's supportors vehemently attack the other with a disregard for nuance and objectivity. Of how those on the side of the Democrats now are brothers to those on the side of Thompson then. Of how those on the side of Governor Walker now are accomplices to the two-faced scheming of Favre then.

This is not, however, to ascribe blame for the budget shortfall to one side or the other. That comes later, and one would be wise to keep in mind the teachings of Ted Thompson of not mortgaging the future for the now until then.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
BTW.. "d"d/"m"m/"y"y"y"y.. <--- annoying ... i wish we could all just agree on one flipping date format.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago

BTW.. "d"d/"m"m/"y"y"y"y.. <--- annoying ... i wish we could all just agree on one flipping date format.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Agreed.. I looked at it twice trying to figure out why the author was talking about July 2011 already.. lol.

Then couple that with no being able to place two d's nor two m's together without getting Donald Driver or MM. lol...
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Rockmolder
13 years ago
The rest of the world has.

Same thing goes for the metric system.

Stop being hipsters, US.
DakotaT
13 years ago

Stop being hipsters, US.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Fuck the metric system, we're cool and don't need that bullshit! 🙂 When you say 0 degrees that means it fricken cold out not sweatshirt weather. When the United States military salutes Rock, it salutes downward; that means if we want to be stubborn assholes and laugh at a measuring system that the entire world uses - we will.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

"Pack93z" wrote:

Agreed.. I looked at it twice trying to figure out why the author was talking about July 2011 already.. lol.

Then couple that with no being able to place two d's nor two m's together without getting Donald Driver or Mike McCarthy. lol...

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

In an otherwise shitty day, the last line put a big smile on my face. I had wondered internally, why did he put the quotes around the letters? hah
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago

Stop being hipsters, US.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

Screw you, between Britain and the U.S. we've ruled the world for far longer than whatever country you're from (asia or whatever) has been in existence. And don't you watch Sci-fi? It's apparent that we rule shit in the future too. Better raise them shields, Worf.
dhpackr
13 years ago

Please explain it to all us idiots that don't see things exactly the way you do.

"Porforis" wrote:

you first whined about how your employer could not find skilled employees, then came back and said let's cut millions of dollars in public education!

on to collective bargaining-
This allows a union to negotiate a contract with an employer. The negotiations include pay, benefits, insurance, pension, hours worked, rules and regulations concerning hours worked (overtime), compensation for work boots, tools, training etc.

without it, a employer can simply deny a worker all the above items and pay low wages, offer no insurance, long hours, no training, all the things you cry that you do not have.

collective bargaining also includes arbitration on matters in case the parties can not come to an agreement, a neutral party will listen to both sides and a compromise will need to be reached.

pretty basic concepts that out country was founded upon!
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I was holding off until someone reported a post as offensive before saying something. It's happened, so now I'm stepping in.

Refrain from the name calling, it is not necessary and you can easily make your point without the childish name blasting.

K pumpkins? thanks.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago

I was holding off until someone reported a post as offensive before saying something. It's happened, so now I'm stepping in.

Refrain from the name calling, it is not necessary and you can easily make your point without the childish name blasting.

K pumpkins? thanks.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

point taken
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4h) : Bonkers Georiga-Bama game
Zero2Cool (6h) : Jaire and Valentine probably both out.
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers have elevated CBs Kamal Hadden and Robert Rochell for tomorrow's game.
packerfanoutwest (10h) : Sources: Packers QB Jordan Love expected back vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (10h) : The NFL fined #Packers RB Josh Jacobs a whopping $45,020 for unnecessary roughness/use of helmet last week
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

27-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.