Packers_Finland
13 years ago
Starks showed explosiveness and promise in that Philly game but I wouldn't count on him too much going into the game. He's only played a couple of games so I won't slobber his nuts yet, except in a joking manner. A good game against the Falcons would change that.
This is a placeholder
warhawk
13 years ago

Starks showed explosiveness and promise in that Philly game but I wouldn't count on him too much going into the game. He's only played a couple of games so I won't slobber his nuts yet, except in a joking manner. A good game against the Falcons would change that.

"Packers_Finland" wrote:

I'm not defending Starks as much as I don't buy the statement "our run defense has BEEN SO GOOD" statement. The Falcons give up 4.7 yds per carry. Twenty four teams give up less.

Anything under 4.0 and maybe start talking about a stout run D but 4.7? I don't think so.

I think Abraham has been drinking a little to much Urlacher.
"The train is leaving the station."
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
I think a part of that number (Falcons D run yards per carry) is that when the Falcons are ahead they expect the opponent to pass, not run. If we get ahead of the Falcons, I'm sure their run defense will be more stout than that (though I hope not).
This is a placeholder
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

James Starks shows long-term potential at running back 

Six weeks ago, it looked like running back rated among the Green Bay Packers top two or three priorities for the 2011 NFL draft.

Not now.

We havent seen a lot of rookie James Starks, but weve seen enough to reasonably conclude hes a real NFL running back. Samkon Gado hes not.

Starks performance in a small sample of playing time doesnt eliminate the need at running back in the draft, but it definitely reduces it. Because of the short shelf life and value of quality depth at that brutalized position, the Packers still should take a shot in the draft if possible. They still dont know if Starks is pretty good, or something more.

But based on his 52 carries over the past five games, theres reason to think Starks might even be a little better than Ryan Grant, whose season-ending torn ankle ligaments in Week 1 diminished the Packers run game this season.

Impressive, was what one pro scout for an NFC team said after Starks 123-yard game last week against Philadelphia. Good size with good straight-line speed on the second level. Ive never been a big Grant guy.

Starks and Grant are similar in several respects. They have tall, lean builds for their position Starks is 6-foot-2 and 218 pounds, Grant 6-1 and 222 and are decisive and physical runners.

Starks appears to be the better all-around athlete a little more wiggle to avoid defenders, much better hands as a receiver. What no one can know at this point is whether he has anything approaching Grants unimpeachable toughness, which is critical for a position that probably takes the most physical abuse in the NFL.

Starks injury history is one reason the Packers have to remain wary. He missed his senior season at the University at Buffalo because of a shoulder injury, then with the Packers had the recurring hamstring injury that sidelined him for most offseason practices plus all of training camp and the first six games of the regular season.

Maybe that was just a bad run and hell be healthy from here on out, relatively speaking at least. Hes certainly impressive on the hoof. But that upright running style has to be a concern. Maybe not as much for ball security, because he appears to protect it well even when fighting for the extra yard. But it makes him an inviting target. Hes going to take some direct shots.

Lets be clear also, nobody here is anointing Starks as the next Paul Hornung or even Ahman Green. Maybe Starks will play better than Grant, maybe hell even be as good as, say, Dorsey Levens. Well see. If nothing else, hes shown enough in his limited time to not dismiss the possibility.

Still, looking beyond Saturdays game, the Packers are in a better spot at halfback than two months ago, when their future consisted of an injured starter, Grant, who in December turned 28, which is nearing the point where many running backs begin to slide, plus stopgaps Brandon Jackson and John Kuhn, and undrafted rookie Dimitri Nance.

With Starks, they still dont have a game-changer, but they have two backs who are probably good enough to be the primary runner for a respectable run game. Its still worth the Packers while to draft another, because Grants time is running down, and maybe they can uncover a game-breaker. But the need isnt as acute.

Whats difficult to figure is why coach Mike McCarthy cut back Starks carries from 18 in his promising debut against San Francisco on Dec. 5 to six the following week at Detroit to banishing him to the inactive list the two games thereafter. For anyone who hadnt been following the Packers, Starks 23 carries for 123 yards last week against Philadelphia seemed to be a playoff gift fallen from the sky, but five weeks earlier, against the 49ers, he sure looked like the teams best runner, much like Grant when he got his first chance at Denver in 2007.

McCarthy deactivated Starks for those two later games because, as the coach put it, Starks hadnt performed well enough on the practice field to win a spot. In arguing McCarthys case, running back coach Edgar Bennett said the problem wasnt effort or work ethic, but a missed assignment, in say, pass protection.

Not that it was a lot of things like that, it only takes but one, Bennett said. You have to understand the focus and taking care of the little things, the detail. The kid works his butt off, he comes here early, hes in late. Honestly. Some people say it (for saying it), (but) the kid comes in here early, early sessions, he prepares, he works hard. Its starting to show.

This week will be much tougher for Starks than last. Statistically, the difference between Philadelphias run defense (No. 15 in rushing yards allowed in the regular season) and Atlantas (No. 10) isnt huge, but those rankings dont tell the story. The Eagles small defensive line had become a liability by the end of the season and in the last seven games, including against the Packers, Philadelphia allowed an average of 129 yards rushing.

Atlanta lacks a big-league run stuffer but is deep with competent linemen to rotate in and out of the game. The Falcons also have one of the NFLs under-publicized good players in middle linebacker Curtis Lofton. Even quarterback Aaron Rodgers was cautious when asked at his weekly session with reporters if this game against Atlanta would be different than the teams meeting in November now that you have a balanced attack.

Well see about that, Rodgers said. Last time I was the leading rusher. Hope thats not the case again.

"Pete Dougherty" wrote:

UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (16h) : I thought about starting Cousins since I didn't like the NY vs Min match but wasn't 100% sold on Atlanta offense this year
Mucky Tundra (16h) : Zero, I am starting Rodgers overseas lol. I have no choice now
Zero2Cool (18h) : nice. I lost
wpr (18h) : I don't remember but I forgot there was a game yesterday it was almost 7 when I went in and checked on my pick. I changed to ATL
Zero2Cool (21h) : at least you're not the joker who starting Rodgers OVERSEAS lol i laughed good
Mucky Tundra (4-Oct) : Of course I had Cousins on the bench in fantasy
Mucky Tundra (4-Oct) : Quiet you!
Zero2Cool (3-Oct) : No WR1 to face this way. Magic, he's healed!
Martha Careful (3-Oct) : I glad Jaire is back. The Vagisil treatments must be working
Zero2Cool (3-Oct) : Jaire Alexander returns to practice
Zero2Cool (2-Oct) : Matt LaFleur said that Christian Watson is NOT going on IR: "We got lucky, we dodged a real bullet".
Mucky Tundra (1-Oct) : Time Zone remains undefeated against Zero
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Packers worked out: K Chad Ryland K Lucas Havirsik QB Gavin Hardison WR Lideatrick Griffin
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : nm ... time zone > kevin
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Packers Rams moved time slot
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : WR Davante Adams informed the team that he preferred to be traded,
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : ddie Lacy Arrested For 'Extreme DUI' In Arizona
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Packers held old friend Aaron Jones to 1 yard or less on 8 of his 22 carries Sunday.
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Schultz
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : WR Christian Watson has a high-ankle sprain, but I'm told it's a mild one, and he is "unlikely" to land on IR. -- Jordan Shultz
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Davante Adams probably done being Raider
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Well. Lions are a better team, so kind of expected.
Martha Careful (1-Oct) : watching Detroit play defense. A pleasure to watch a team control the edges and get pressure… And yes they have two Back ups In secondary
buckeyepackfan (1-Oct) : "The Hit King" dead at 83. RIH Pete
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : LaFleur admits the Packers are sacrificing the defensive ends to a certain degree to set the edge and avoid rushing lanes.
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : LaFleur expects Christian Watson to "be out most likely at least a week or so."
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : NFL concluded its investigation of former Jaguars kicker Brandon McManus and determined there was insufficient evidence to support a finding
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : Dikembe Mutombo has died from brain cancer at age 58.
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : Wyatt was probably best NT/DT this season
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : Not good, Jethro. Not good.
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : @ByRyanWood Devante Wyatt wearing a walking boot on right foot with crutches inside #Packers postgame locker room
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Watson's ankle... "He told me that it was just a sprain."
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : At least it's ankle not hamstring for Watson
packerfanoutwest (29-Sep) : Love is overrated
dhazer (29-Sep) : Damn Kevin you were right Fields killed it today 35 pts
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : The entire defense might as well be OUT
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Jaire is OUT
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Love, for sure.
dhazer (29-Sep) : thats what i am thinking JJ is going off against Stokes
dfosterf (29-Sep) : Sam Darnold this week, imo
dhazer (29-Sep) : Fantasy advice Love or Darnold with no packer cbs
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : Bonkers Georiga-Bama game
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Jaire and Valentine probably both out.
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Packers have elevated CBs Kamal Hadden and Robert Rochell for tomorrow's game.
packerfanoutwest (28-Sep) : Sources: Packers QB Jordan Love expected back vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (28-Sep) : The NFL fined #Packers RB Josh Jacobs a whopping $45,020 for unnecessary roughness/use of helmet last week
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

3-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3-Oct / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

2-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2-Oct / Around The NFL / beast

1-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1-Oct / GameDay Threads / Martha Careful

1-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.