Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Wow, someone who still remembers how to make a phone call instead of sending texts. That made me grin.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110111/PKR07/110111186/Mike-Vandermause-column-Starks-humility-holds-in-light-of-new-stardom

Good article on Starks. Would post it all but very busy.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

That is a great article. I said it on the thread about Bishop, and I'll say it again. Modesty is one of the best characteristics that a professional player can have, in my opinion as a fan. Cockiness and arrogance tends to be a cancer to the team. There are times that that is not the case, times that it builds up the team (such as Ray Lewis). There are many times that the opposite is the case, like T.O., where the arrogant individual will tear the team apart. I'd just prefer that overconfidence and arrogance is not in the picture.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
This may already be posted. If that is the case, my most sincere apologies.

Starks Runs Into Record Book  by Mike Spofford

PHILADELPHIA Running back James Starks touched the ball in an NFL game for the first time a little over a month ago, and now hes in the franchise postseason record book.

Starks, a rookie sixth-round draft pick who injured his hamstring prior to training camp and proceeded to miss the first 11 games of the season, carved up the Eagles for 123 rushing yards on 23 carries to help the Packers notch a 21-16 Wild Card playoff win on Sunday.

We told the rook before we even started this game that, Youve got to go out there and do what you do, veteran receiver Donald Driver said. Youre not a young buck anymore. This is a new season for you. The playoffs start now. And he ran well today.

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers called Starks effort perhaps the most important factor in the Packers winning the game. His yardage shattered the previous Green Bay rookie record for rushing yards in a playoff game. Travis Williams had 88 yards back on Dec. 23, 1967, against the Los Angeles Rams in Milwaukee.

Starks was past that by early in the third quarter, when he carried five times for 32 yards on the 80-yard touchdown drive that put the Packers ahead 21-10.

He got his day off to a great start, bursting through a big hole over the left side for a 27-yard gain on his first carry, on the Packers second possession. He carried three more times for 9 yards on that drive, which ended with a 7-yard touchdown pass to tight end Tom Crabtree, and it became clear early that Starks was going to have a big role on this day.

He established a hot hand early, and I rode it, Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. James was a difference-maker.

Starks, who also had two receptions for 9 yards, said he never knows week to week what the coaches might have in store for him, but he looks at his job as being prepared for anything.

I was ready for that situation, Starks said. Hard work does really pay off. Im a very firm believer in that. Im going to continue to work hard and continue to try to get better be the best athlete I can for the team. When my number is called I have to be ready.

He had seized his other big opportunity earlier this season, rushing for 73 yards on 18 carries in his first game against San Francisco back on Dec. 5. He had joined the active roster just a couple weeks prior to that, having spent the first half of the season on the physically unable to perform list due to the hamstring.

The San Francisco contest was actually his first football game in nearly two full calendar years after Starks missed his senior season at the University at Buffalo with a shoulder injury.

The big game against the 49ers didnt transfer feature-back status his way, though. The coaching staff still needed to see more in practice sounder fundamentals, better preparation for every snap, all of that. So he was inactive a couple of games down the stretch and had limited carries in the others.

I think you saw the potential in him way back when he got here big, athletic, long strides, elusive, Rodgers said. But I think he really learned last month or so how to be a professional. Its a seven-day-a-week job and you have to practice well if youre going to play on Sundays. His practice habits have really improved the last month, and hes kind of been re-energized and he had a big night for us tonight.

Through it all, Starks didnt get down. He just kept plugging away.

Im a motivated person when Im not playing or not getting carries, Starks said. Im just going to work hard. I want to play. I love this game. I love football, and Im going to work hard regardless.

Sundays performance was the best by a Green Bay running back all season, topping the 115 yards Brandon Jackson posted at Washington in Week 5.

Analysts have speculated that the Packers might not be able to advance in the playoffs without a productive running game, but Starks gave them one to lean on in this first round.

There has been a lot of questions, and obviously we havent run the ball as well as we would like to all season, guard Daryn Colledge said. But weve been running the ball well this last month and weve taken some steps forward.

It started with Starks performance against the 49ers, and then Brandon Jackson put up 99 yards at New England two weeks later. In Week 16 vs. the Giants, the Packers gained 119 yards on the ground with a variety of ballcarriers, though they did not include Starks, who was inactive that day.

Walking out onto Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday, with the temperature at 30 degrees and winds blowing close to 20 miles an hour, the conditions werent conducive to throwing the ball at will. The ground game was necessary, and it produced.

We knew it was going to be like that, fellow running back John Kuhn said. The wind was pretty bad today and it was cold. Thats a recipe for a run game.

I think part of it is just the fact teams dont expect us to run. Nows the time to show them we can. Maybe we caught them off guard today, maybe we didnt, but we did pretty well.

Counting quarterback Aaron Rodgers scrambles and a few carries from Jackson and Kuhn, the Packers posted 138 rushing yards in all, tied for third best on the year.

Most impressive was that Starks averaged 5.3 yards per carry and gained at least 4 yards on 12 of his 23 rushes. The production was pretty consistent, and it gave the Packers several manageable third downs as the offense converted 8-of-13 (62 percent) on the money down.

I think he was disappointed himself, Colledge said. He felt like he had more to give, felt like he got tripped up a couple times by himself. But its good to see young guy like that extremely hungry who wants to go out there and wants to compete.

Only five times was Starks brought down for 1 yard or less. Unfortunately two of those came on the Packers final possession when one more first down would have allowed Green Bay to run the clock out, but the Eagles were clearly stacking their defense to stop Starks there.

Moments before, he had broken off a 12-yard run to move the chains and keep the clock moving, forcing the Eagles to use their last timeout with 3:48 left.

Thats hats off to everybody on the team, Starks said. Its not an individual effort. The line did a great job, the receivers did a great job, the fullbacks did a great job, getting body on body.

Now the question is whether Starks can keep it up and help the Packers make a long playoff run. A performance like this one should give him plenty of confidence as he prepares for Round 2.

He gave us a spark, safety Charlie Peprah said. He grew up today.

I think it comes from just seeing results. You get out there and make 6-, 7-yard runs, you start realizing, Hey, I can play in this league and Im pretty good. Hes got all the physical ability in the world, and once he sees, Hey, I can make something happen, I think that does a lot for him and you saw we kept pounding him. Hopefully he can take that and build on it.

UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago
I thought I read that James was quite the gifted athlete when he played college ball. If he had remained healthy and played his sr. college season, he may have been drafted in the first round.

I think James is the real deal, and not, only is he going to be a huge factor in winning a Championship this year, but he may put Grant out of work in 2011.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
yooperfan
13 years ago
I honestly didn't think we would see Starks ( except for perhaps in a limited role ) this year.
I was looking forward to next year after he had a full off season conditioning program and the OTA's for him to come into training camp completely healthy, after all he hadn't played any football for a year and a half, and never at the NFL level.
I'm very happy with what I have seen so far in his early career.
The kid has fresh legs and looks like he can be a big asset in the playoffs.

Just run the damn ball, control the clock and we can keep moving forward.
El3ment12
13 years ago
He was such a beast and helped us win the game at the end. How?

I think if he does not get that run for the first to waste more philly time outs, Then Vick does not take a shot at the end of the game. Vick felt like he just had to let one go because there were no time outs. Starks set that shit up.
doddpower
13 years ago
I still remember how "crazy" some thought those of us were who expected Starks to be able to come in and contribute in some way this season. Hilarious. Not only has he contributed a couple of times now, but he's been a significant factor. Who knows, if given more opportunities he may have done even more.

Well played, Starks!!
warhawk
13 years ago
Defensive end John Abraham is not too impressed with Green Bay rookie running back James Starks, who rushed for 123 yards in the Packers' wild-card victory over Philadelphia.

"I can't hype anybody off one game," Abraham said. "You've got to show me more, and I think our run defense has done so well this year that I don't think we're going to put a check by his name right now. He wasn't one of our people to worry about. We're worrying about [number] 12 [quarterback Aaron Rodgers] right now. That's probably the main thing."

Tell that to Philly since their run defense ranked 5th "did so well" against Starks and your run D is ranked 10th.. By the way, learn how to count. Starks has had two out of three good ballgames.

I hope they do overlook Starks. Philly is still trying to find him.

Atlanta has only played 3 top 10 Rushing teams all year. Maybe Atlanta's Rushing D numbers have been a little inflated by playing the #30th, 28th, 27th, 23rd(twice), 20th, 19th,18th 17th, 16th(twice) and, 15th ranked Rushing teams. I wouldn't start putting a Steeler uniform on just yet.

I hope to see Starks run right by his ass a few times.
"The train is leaving the station."
peteralan71
13 years ago
Have any of the Packers players been talking shit for this game? Or any other game all year, for that matter? It doesn't bother me when the opposing team trash talks, because it makes them look that much worse when they lose, and if they win, they still look like cocky pricks. I like that the Packers don't talk. They perform.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (18h) : I thought about starting Cousins since I didn't like the NY vs Min match but wasn't 100% sold on Atlanta offense this year
Mucky Tundra (18h) : Zero, I am starting Rodgers overseas lol. I have no choice now
Zero2Cool (20h) : nice. I lost
wpr (20h) : I don't remember but I forgot there was a game yesterday it was almost 7 when I went in and checked on my pick. I changed to ATL
Zero2Cool (23h) : at least you're not the joker who starting Rodgers OVERSEAS lol i laughed good
Mucky Tundra (4-Oct) : Of course I had Cousins on the bench in fantasy
Mucky Tundra (4-Oct) : Quiet you!
Zero2Cool (3-Oct) : No WR1 to face this way. Magic, he's healed!
Martha Careful (3-Oct) : I glad Jaire is back. The Vagisil treatments must be working
Zero2Cool (3-Oct) : Jaire Alexander returns to practice
Zero2Cool (2-Oct) : Matt LaFleur said that Christian Watson is NOT going on IR: "We got lucky, we dodged a real bullet".
Mucky Tundra (1-Oct) : Time Zone remains undefeated against Zero
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Packers worked out: K Chad Ryland K Lucas Havirsik QB Gavin Hardison WR Lideatrick Griffin
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : nm ... time zone > kevin
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Packers Rams moved time slot
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : WR Davante Adams informed the team that he preferred to be traded,
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : ddie Lacy Arrested For 'Extreme DUI' In Arizona
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Packers held old friend Aaron Jones to 1 yard or less on 8 of his 22 carries Sunday.
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Schultz
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : WR Christian Watson has a high-ankle sprain, but I'm told it's a mild one, and he is "unlikely" to land on IR. -- Jordan Shultz
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Davante Adams probably done being Raider
Zero2Cool (1-Oct) : Well. Lions are a better team, so kind of expected.
Martha Careful (1-Oct) : watching Detroit play defense. A pleasure to watch a team control the edges and get pressure… And yes they have two Back ups In secondary
buckeyepackfan (1-Oct) : "The Hit King" dead at 83. RIH Pete
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : LaFleur admits the Packers are sacrificing the defensive ends to a certain degree to set the edge and avoid rushing lanes.
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : LaFleur expects Christian Watson to "be out most likely at least a week or so."
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : NFL concluded its investigation of former Jaguars kicker Brandon McManus and determined there was insufficient evidence to support a finding
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : Dikembe Mutombo has died from brain cancer at age 58.
Zero2Cool (30-Sep) : Wyatt was probably best NT/DT this season
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : Not good, Jethro. Not good.
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : @ByRyanWood Devante Wyatt wearing a walking boot on right foot with crutches inside #Packers postgame locker room
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Watson's ankle... "He told me that it was just a sprain."
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : At least it's ankle not hamstring for Watson
packerfanoutwest (29-Sep) : Love is overrated
dhazer (29-Sep) : Damn Kevin you were right Fields killed it today 35 pts
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : The entire defense might as well be OUT
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Jaire is OUT
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Love, for sure.
dhazer (29-Sep) : thats what i am thinking JJ is going off against Stokes
dfosterf (29-Sep) : Sam Darnold this week, imo
dhazer (29-Sep) : Fantasy advice Love or Darnold with no packer cbs
Mucky Tundra (29-Sep) : Bonkers Georiga-Bama game
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Jaire and Valentine probably both out.
Zero2Cool (29-Sep) : Packers have elevated CBs Kamal Hadden and Robert Rochell for tomorrow's game.
packerfanoutwest (28-Sep) : Sources: Packers QB Jordan Love expected back vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (28-Sep) : The NFL fined #Packers RB Josh Jacobs a whopping $45,020 for unnecessary roughness/use of helmet last week
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
14m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Cheesey

3-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

3-Oct / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

2-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

2-Oct / Around The NFL / beast

1-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

1-Oct / GameDay Threads / Martha Careful

1-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

1-Oct / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

30-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.