Dulak
13 years ago

Why do you suppose teams continue blitzing us? That's an honest question. I guess it could be that only rushing four is so ineffective that teams feel they need to send an extra guy just to have a shot at a sack, but I believe the best way to beat us is to do what the Bucs did in our second game against them. They played a lot of zone and took away the short and intermediate passing options, trying to get interceptions and to force us to throw the ball down field. They had success with this. I fear that the Packers will do that on Saturday, and I'm anxious to see how Mularkey plans on beating them if they do.

"Ice2White" wrote:

you could be right ice ... I think sometimes fans see things the coaches dont and it will be interesting if dom capers does what tampa did or if he does his 'usual' ... although I do think his usual is to put alot of guys into coverage.

should be a good game thou.
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
13 years ago
I think some DC got their jobs by advocating an aggressive defense. Putting extra guys in the box to stuff the run. Run and Pass blitzes to turn the heat up and get the offense out of rhythm and pressure the QB. And then look for a chance to get a turnover or two. (There is another thread  that discusses how organizations value turnovers more than fundamental tackling.

It is hard for them to stop doing what got them their job even though they see the tactic did not work for other teams. I am sure they feel their personnel will do a better job than the other teams did. It is hard for an aggressive "A" type personality to switch, sit back and become passive allowing the other team to make a mistake. THEY want to be the one to create the mistake.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Why do you suppose teams continue blitzing us? That's an honest question. I guess it could be that only rushing four is so ineffective that teams feel they need to send an extra guy just to have a shot at a sack, but I believe the best way to beat us is to do what the Bucs did in our second game against them. They played a lot of zone and took away the short and intermediate passing options, trying to get interceptions and to force us to throw the ball down field. They had success with this. I fear that the Packers will do that on Saturday, and I'm anxious to see how Mularkey plans on beating them if they do.

"Ice2White" wrote:

Ice - This is an excellent question and I wanted to address this.

I think I know why. DCs have their prejudices. One of their prejudices (as we have seen as Packer fans) is that DCs think ALL young QBs will do something stupid when being blitzed. Ryan is still a young QB, despite having a pretty good season this year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
13 years ago

"zombieslayer" wrote:

Ice - This is an excellent question and I wanted to address this.

I think I know why. DCs have their prejudices. One of their prejudices (as we have seen as Packer fans) is that DCs think ALL young QBs will do something stupid when being blitzed. Ryan is still a young QB, despite having a pretty good season this year.

"Ice2White" wrote:

Efficiency might have something to do with it, as well.

The Falcons offense just doesn't make any mistakes. The thought behind blitzing is forcing some mistakes, getting turnovers and sacks. When Ryan and Turner get in a groove, they're close to unstoppable. They usually won't wow you with their amazing plays, but they just go up and down the field.

I can imagine that, if you want to get them out of that groove, you send some blitzes their way. Hope that that very solid O-line makes a mistake.

That said, look at your schedule. You played a whole list of teams that couldn't get there with 4 to save their lifes, regardless of their opponent. And that's not a knock on your season, at all, since it's been a very impressive one, but that has to factor in a little.
warhawk
  • warhawk
  • Senior Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
The only reason I can see blitzing Atlanta is to disrupt the timing between Ryan and his receivers. If what you do is successful based on timing and precision than it would make sense to make Ryan get the ball out sooner than he would like and less accurate at times if he has to move his feet.

We need to take Turner out of the game first like NO did. He got one nice 27 yard run and then 21 yards on 16 carries. That put the ball back far enough on third down Ryan couldn't keep those long drives going.

Watching the replay we did not get enough people at the point of attack at times and Turner just bullied his way through. We can't be letting him knock down 4 and five yards a crack. That just sets Ryan up.
"The train is leaving the station."
peteralan71
13 years ago
It seems to me that we need to go outside of our own realm to win this game defensively. The blitzing will not work if the Falcons choose to play how they usually do, with the short underneath passes. We did a great job last time of shutting down White, but that was because we were blitzing a lot, like we always do. It is hard to avoid the knee jerk reaction and allow the QB time in the pocket, but Ryan has proven that he is unflappable and is very quick with getting the ball out, and accurately. I would like to see the Packers playing against the run a lot in this game because I think the Falcons look to use Turner a lot.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
tonyagnese
13 years ago
Balance means you can play ANY kind of game and win with it. I dont think you can call the Eagles a balanced team. Id say they have a balanced offense (although in recent weeks that hasnt helped them score points), but their defense is not very good. The Falcons are by far the most balanced team in the NFC. Whether that will translate into playoff wins remains to be seen, but it can only help.
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (8h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (10h) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (10h) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (12h) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (13h) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : No surprise, Love inactive
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Inactives: 10 QB Jordan Love 27 S Kitan Oladapo 57 DL Brenton Cox Jr. 73 T Andre Dillard 79 T Travis Glover 96 DL Colby Wooden
Martha Careful (14-Sep) : Wisconsin football stinks. OL good, Pauling good. all else MEH
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Jordan Love downgraded to doubtful for tomorrow's game
Zero2Cool (14-Sep) : Sean Clifford just got called up. No Love tomorrow. No shock either.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

16-Sep / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.