Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers out with concussion

BY KAREEM COPELAND KCOPELAND@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM DECEMBER 12, 2010

[img_r]http://cmsimg.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20101212&Category=PKR01&ArtNo=101212040&Ref=AR&Profile=1058&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0[/img_r]DETROIT Quarterback, Aaron Rodgers, arguably, means more to the Green Bay Packers offense than any other quarterback in the league. When he struggles, so does the unit considering there is no dependable running game to lean on.

Rodgers was in the midst of an ugly performance against the Detroit Lions when he was knocked out the game with a concussion. The Packers went on to lose 7-3.

The Packers offense was virtually nonexistent during the first half and Rodgers seemed like he was trying to make something happen late in the second quarter. An underrated runner, Rodgers scrambled 18 yards and chose not to slide as defenders closed in for the tackle. He was hit from the front-side by safety Amari Spievey, but it was the back-side contact from Landon Johnson that jolted Rodgers.

He got up slowly, played three more snaps, including a sack by Andre Fluellen, and never returned.

The concussion is the second of the season for Rodgers, who suffered one Oct. 10 at Washington, and he will have to pass more stringent tests to return to the field.

I can't really measure the level of his concussion right now, coach Mike McCarthy said after the game. It's something that he'll go through the normal protocol. I was told that his head his clear and he has a headache.

He was kind of groggy after those two plays he stayed in there, so that's when we had the decision to pull him.

Rodgers had completed 7-of-11 passes for 46 yards with an interception before his day ended. The Packers had just two first downs while Rodgers was in the game.

Matt Flynn replaced Rodgers and moved the ball deep inside Lions territory on the first two possessions of the second half, but came away with just three points total.

Flynn finished the day 15-of-26 for 177 yards and one interception. And the Packers couldnt turn to a run game that managed just 66 yards on 20 attempts, including five yards for 35 yards from Rodgers and Flynn. The running backs totaled 15 carries for 31 yards.

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said there werent any major changes to the play-calling with Rodgers out and McCarthy refused to acknowledge Rodgers absence may have played a significant role in the season-low three points.

The Packers hadnt been held to three points or less since a 35-0 loss to the New England Patriots on Nov. 19, 2006.

It's no excuse, McCarthy said. It's no excuse at all. We played poor on offense today and that starts with me.

We were poor and I'm not very pleased about it.

The team didnt have a timetable for Rodgers return, though he did not miss a game after being concussed against Washington. He will have to pass several medical tests before he is cleared to play.

Rodgers has been criticized for not sliding at times and leaving himself open for injury. And it happened Sunday.

Rodgers was not in the locker room after the game and was not made available for comment.

You definitely dont want someone who is that important to your offense out of the game, center Scott Wells said. At the same time, with the playmakers we have on the field, I felt we should have been able to come back.

We had opportunities and we squandered them.

I like the following comments:

Concussions ended the careers of Steve Young and Troy Aikman. Brian Westbrook is just another concussion away from being forced into retirement. Ted Johnson, who was a linebacker for the Pats a few years ago was showing the early signs of Alzheimers at age 33 because of too many concussions. John Mackey, one of the greatest TE's in history has severe dementia and, for all intents and purposes, is a vegetable. Mike Webster died from Alzheimers likely brought on from concussions suffered while playing for the Steelers. If Rogers would decide to walk away from the game I wouldn't blame him.

"gopackfromohio" wrote:

If Aaron Rodgers is as smart as everyone says he is... we're in trouble. A smart person would milk out the rest of this season, put the 8.5 million in the bank and retire before he has nothing but scrambled eggs for brains .....20 years from now. This guy is not going to be around much longer.

"FLFan" wrote:

UserPostedImage
13 years ago
Two seemingly mild concussions, and we're talking about retirement? Conversations really spin out control after a bad game.
UserPostedImage
Porforis
13 years ago

Two seemingly mild concussions, and we're talking about retirement? Conversations really spin out control after a bad game.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

To be fair, if he retires we may see him back next year.
bozz_2006
13 years ago

"Porforis" wrote:

To be fair, if he retires we may see him back next year.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

That's the good news. The bad news is that he'll probably be a Jet.
UserPostedImage
Finley88Beast
13 years ago
Honestly I thought he was gonna be back in the game.After he scrambled.
A Quote from my brother Mike(Bears Fan)
"Fucking Greg Jennings"
After he makes a catch
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

The bad news is that he'll probably be a Jet.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

I had a similar thought, but it then it occurred to me that the Vikings will be in the market for for a veteran quarterback.
UserPostedImage
dhpackr
13 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

wake up, seriously .....there is no such thing as a mild concussion. it is a brain injury, no joke.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
dfosterf
13 years ago
Aaron got his bell rung and now he's a Viking or a Jet.

Did you guys get any sleep last night?
dhpackr
13 years ago
and is without a doubt something to joke about and dismiss b/c it could never end a young players career.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
Kingdom22
13 years ago
If he retires then Favre might come back for one more season lol. JK
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (17h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (19h) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
4h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

14h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

23h / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.