13 years ago

Ah fuck, I opened this by accident.

<runs away>

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

YOU sir . . . . . are smart!!
4PackGirl
13 years ago

holy crap - this is interesting.

does it seem right that anyone should effectively lose more than half of their inheritance for taxes? we've paid taxes on that lantd for years & now we get socked with another 55%?? come ON!!

"DakotaT" wrote:

The property tax your parents paid on that land has no relevence in the conversation. Yes it is right that you have to pay tax on your inheritance because those are the laws of your state/country. Is it ethical, probably not, but are you asking for sympathy on clearing over $250K for being born into a family with nice assets? Seems like a pretty sweet deal, by the way HOW YOU DOIN? ::razz:

"4PackGirl" wrote:

LMAO, dakota. if you think all i'm getting is $250K - you didn't do your math correctly sweetheart. ;)

i'm not asking for anyone to feel sorry for me but there are alot of small business owners who instead of passing the family business onto their kids will be forced to sell the business simply to pay the tax to the gov't. THAT'S who you should feel sorry for. my parents planned accordingly & we don't really have to worry about anything but it still doesn't seem right that they started with nothing, effectively got the american dream & in the end will still be screwed out of a considerable portion of it on taxes.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

holy crap - this is interesting.

ok - here's how it goes, dakota. my parents bought some of their land when it was around $415/acre - that same land is now valued at $8500/acre. if my mom dies or sells her farmland after this year, she or my brother & i will have to pay capital gains on the difference between those two figures. there used to be a stepped up basis that took the value up to what it was the day the person died - that may disappear after this year. and this isn't just for farmers - it's for everyone who inherits an estate. BUT for us 'small' farmers (we own around 700 acres total) 55% of the difference between those two values would go to our fabulous government. this year there was no estate tax at all. next year, it goes to $1 million & it's a 55% tax for estates over that. does it seem right that anyone should effectively lose more than half of their inheritance for taxes? we've paid taxes on that land for years & now we get socked with another 55%?? come ON!!

"4PackGirl" wrote:

4Pack - Sorry to do this to you twice. I do care about the human element and I'm in complete agreement. But this to me has to be said.

OK, let's say hypothetically 4Pack gets taxed heavily and has to sell the land. You got farmland, which is a GOOD thing. What do we replace it with? Suburbs? Are we going to pave the whole freaking country?

I used to be heavily into the outdoors. Camping, hunting, fishing, photography, etc. A lot of the places I used to go are paved now or developed. Pisses me off big time. These used to be BEAUTIFUL areas too. Suburbs and strip malls are not beautiful. They're ugly. I hate urban sprawl with a passion.

Not only talking aesthetics here. 700 acres of farmland is a good thing for all of us. That's 700 acres that produce us food so we can eat. They sell it, what are the chances it goes to another family farmer? Now that I'm a city boy, I honestly don't know but if I had to bet (I'm a gambling man), I'd say big odds that it's unlikely. It will most likely get developed.

Farmland is not unlimited. Look at Japan. They have to import food. Same with a lot of European countries. We can export because we have so much farmland. What about generations from now though when family farmers have been taxed to death and have to sell their lands to pay taxes? What happens then?

There's something morally wrong there.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
4PackGirl
13 years ago
what has happened with farming is an absolute shame. the reason the prices have skyrocketed are the BIG farmers. they're the only ones who can even remotely afford to pay $8500/acre. family farmers really can't. in fact, my mom had a guy stop at her house & offered her $10,000/acre for at least 500 acres of land. she turned him down flat. family farmers are born with a sense of pride & dedication to their land. i'm sure some of you think she's nuts for not jumping at that but she & my dad built what they have together from nothing - she's not gonna be the one to sell it to the highest bidder & neither am i. IF we sell it some day, it will be to someone who will truly take care of the land & treat it well.
Cheesey
13 years ago

That's why I think Bill Clinton was a solid president. He understood that there has to be some wiggle room

"porky88" wrote:

There probably WAS!.....................(in Monica's mouth!)

Sorry! Couldn't resist! LOL!
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
  • DakotaT
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Good lord it will be a cold day in hell that I feel sorry for the "poor" farmer. In this state they don't pay their share in property, sales, or income taxes. They lobbied the shit out of the state legislature and got all tax law in their favor.

The only farmers around this state that lose their ass are the ones playing cards in the bar all day instead of working their land. Crop/no crop it doesn't matter; our big 3 in Washington make sure our farmers are paid.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
13 years ago

what has happened with farming is an absolute shame. the reason the prices have skyrocketed are the BIG farmers. they're the only ones who can even remotely afford to pay $8500/acre. family farmers really can't. in fact, my mom had a guy stop at her house & offered her $10,000/acre for at least 500 acres of land. she turned him down flat. family farmers are born with a sense of pride & dedication to their land. i'm sure some of you think she's nuts for not jumping at that but she & my dad built what they have together from nothing - she's not gonna be the one to sell it to the highest bidder & neither am i. IF we sell it some day, it will be to someone who will truly take care of the land & treat it well.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

Yup. And will the big farmers take care of the land the same way you guys will? Highly doubt it.

Family farmers have pride. The big boys just want the big bucks.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Class envy is rife in this country. We don't even try to hide it anymore.
UserPostedImage
Formo
13 years ago
Taxes = stupid. I'm with Rourke on that.

Foster had a great post (about the CA 'stoner' voter).

I guess the gubernatorial seat in MN will come down to a mandatory re-count. Hopefully if that's the case it isn't a bogus one like the Franken-stein was.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!