peteralan71
13 years ago
Well, shit.

Carl Johnson admits Visanthe Shiancoe TD should have counted

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 27, 2010 7:57 PM ET
Vikings coach Brad Childress was furious Sunday night when Visanthe Shiancoe caught what was ruled a touchdown pass on the field, only to have the catch incorrectly changed to an incompletion on the replay review. On NFL Network Wednesday, V.P. of officiating Carl Johnson acknowledged that Childress had a reason to be angry: The Shiancoe touchdown should have counted.

"We wish the ruling on the field would have stood as a completed catch," Johnson told Rich Eisen on the "Official Review" segment on NFL Total Access.

Johnson said that when a referee is reviewing a play like Shiancoe's diving catch, he needs to look to see whether the ball moves at all when it hits the ground, or whether the receiver's hands separate from the football. And Johnson said the referee in this game mistakenly thought the ball was bobbled, even though it wasn't.

"In the referee's judgment, he thought that there was movement -- there was some loss of control," Johnson said. "However, as we further assessed the play, we saw that there was not enough to change this call."

Johnson didn't specifically address Childress's comments, which earned him a $35,000 fine. But it's clear that Johnson is saying Childress is right: Shiancoe scored a touchdown, and a mistake by the referee took the touchdown off the board.

The "Official Review" segment also examined Ben Roethlisberger's late fumble against the Dolphins, which was incorrectly ruled a touchdown on the field, then overturned on replay and ruled a fumble.

Miami fans are angry that the Dolphins weren't awarded the recovery of the ball in the end zone, but Johnson said the referee correctly applied the instant replay rule -- and he said the on-field ruling of touchdown was just a mistaken judgment.

"It's just a judgment call," Johnson said. "If, in an official's judgment, a runner broke the plane, we want him to rule touchdown."

Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
I'd also like the league to comment on the spot of Jenning's catch on 3rd down of the last drive, and why on the subsequent play, the officials blew the play dead before Kuhn's momentum was stopped.
DakotaT
13 years ago

I'd also like the league to comment on the spot of Jenning's catch on 3rd down of the last drive, and why on the subsequent play, the officials blew the play dead before Kuhn's momentum was stopped.

"musccy" wrote:

I'm still waiting for my birthday sex from September. You can wish in one hand and crap in the other and see which fills up first.

Let them have something to cry about. They were ahead at halftime and pissed the game away.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

I'm still waiting for my birthday sex from September.

"DakotaT" wrote:

Ooops, that was meant for you? She didn't mention that.
UserPostedImage
DakotaT
13 years ago

I'm still waiting for my birthday sex from September.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Ooops, that was meant for you? She didn't mention that.

"DakotaT" wrote:

That's fine, but get Formo to quit stalking me!!!!!
UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
they will have their chance again in a few weeks, we'll see if they can do something with it or if they predictably implode.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
13 years ago
VP of officiating position must have a prerequisite of not having a spine. He wanted both plays to stand because of lack of evidence. Ben's fumble and this catch. I can sort of see since there was 250lbs sitting on top of this NON catch. But come on, unless there is some majical force the ball cannot switch positions, without movement, do you really need to see the movement or just the result?
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
The ball moved in his hands, that's easy to see by anyone not named Stevie Wonder. The question pertaining to the rule, I believe, is did he bobble (i.e. lose control) the ball? I don't think he lost control, but it's pretty easy to maintain control of a ball that's being shoved into your chest by the ground.

Packers or Vikings or anyone, ball hits the ground, it should be incomplete in my opinion. Too much judgment and gray area in lots of these rules I think. That's why I liked the push out rule being eliminated.

There's too many variances to what is and what is not a catch. It's not hard to come up with scenarios that cover it all. Shit, I just remembered I was gonna upload something for LTF, fuck I forgot.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
It should be incomplete even if it never leaves his hands? I couldn't disagree more. It was firmly within his hands when the tip of the ball hit the ground. If he maintains possession, it's a catch as far as I'm concerned. I don't care which team he plays for.
UserPostedImage
djcubez
13 years ago
I officiating just gets shittier and shittier as the weeks go on.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers Final Injury Report: Jordan Love questionable vs. Vikings
Zero2Cool (27-Sep) : We are hosed. Not practicing Friday: CB Jaire Alexander, CB Carrington Valentine, G/T Jordan Morgan.
Zero2Cool (26-Sep) : rude
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (26-Sep) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Around The NFL / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Fantasy Sports Talk / Zero2Cool

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

27-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.