TheEngineer
14 years ago
I don't think it's that much of a problem. Well, I'm not sure about America, but we've introduced legislation that all new cars after 2000 or something, be fitted with a factory immobiliser.

One could conceivable roll in mandatory breathalysers to all new cars manufactured after 2012, and require every vehicle to be fitted by 2016.

Hell, we're converting to digital TV signals only from 2008 till 2011, and that requires households to spend upwards of a few hundred dollars to a few thousand to convert to digital signals.

This is just one suggestion anyway. I stand by my blanket statement however, in that the only way to reduce the incidence of drunk drivers is to find a solution which is unable to be circumvented.
blank
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Do all your drinking in the safety of your own home like I do. People always insist on going out and drinking with others though.
UserPostedImage
4PackGirl
14 years ago
nothing.
dfosterf
14 years ago
I like the breath / [coupled with a biometric?] / interlock type idea for automobiles.

Our society speaks moralistically about drinking and driving, but acts in a completely different manner.

Every bar, every restaurant, every day... Those cars didn't magically appear in the parking lot, and they didn't magically disappear, either.

The fact is, we tolerate drinking and driving, unless something bad happens.

What is the statistic I heard? Two 747 planeloads of people killed every week as a result of drunk driving.

Disclaimer on previous statement: The PC crowd likes to lump all alcohol related accidents into one simple category, so take that with the grain of salt it deserves.

I see a couple of problems with a mandatory interlock device. The first one is the drinking person gets someone else to blow for him/her--hence the biometric aspect I spoke of.

The 2nd problem is that folks that like to drink at the bars (and the folks that don't like big brother) are gonna buy cars that don't have the device.

In 30 years--I can see it now---

We will be having the debate on the legality of police officers "profiling" automobiles that are (then) the equivalent of what they are driving down in Havana presently, lol

It would be cool to go to the bar and see the lot full of the future equivalent of '57 Chevys, lol
Cheesey
14 years ago
I say lock them up in jail upon their 3rd offense. If they HURT someone, lock them up no matter how many offenses they have.
The problem is......those that are willing to drink and drive already show they have no reguard for the law.
The only way to stop it is to make it illegal for ANYONE to drive.
Take away EVERYONE'S car.
I know.....it's stupid. But no more so then trying to take away guns from law abiding citizens because there is a small minority that has no reguard for other people's lives and they use guns to commit crimes.
Make the punishment of drunk driving bad enough that it takes the offenders off the streets for a LONG time. Thats the only way to protect us, the innocent victims.
(Rant over) LOL!
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago

my ex is currently on dui #4. supposedly illinois has some of the toughest dui laws but those laws mean very little when you have the good ole boy club. in my ex's cases, he knew a guy who contributed alot of money to the state's atty's campaign so dui #1 was dismissed.

dui #1 - he nearly killed himself in an accident, had his blood drawn, was flown to a trauma center & yet it was STILL dismissed. yeah makes sense.

dui #2 - he blew a .17 on this one, got license revoked 3 months & got it back. no biggie.

dui #3 - he was found unresponsive in his truck in the middle of a highway. they drew his blood at the hospital & he was .16. by now he had a CDL license so in illinois you only have to be .04 to be considered dui.

and finally 4 short months later came...
dui #4 - he refused to blow. license revoked, spent a few days in jail, paid $2500 in fines, & is never supposed to be able to obtain a CDL again.
i have no idea how long his license will be revoked this time. the research i've done says anywhere from 3-10 years.

he's an alcoholic. was sober for 12 years & made the decision 3 years ago that he'd just go ahead & drink again. you can't stop them. no laws will stop them. they don't care. he risked his career to drink & drive - a career he supposedly loved. he risked everything by drinking again & lost everything. he still doesn't care. he's lied to everyone he knows including his 7 year old twin boys. he doesn't care. he will do anything he can to get alcohol. he doesn't drive now but has hooked up with some 20 year old kid who drives him to the bars & parties with him. my ex is almost 44 years old. he lives with his parents who keep bailing him out of everything. he's always been the 'golden' child even though his sister is an amazingly wonderful person who has never caused them a moments worry. it's beyond sad - it's sickening. i will forever have guilt that he's the man i chose to father my children. he was sober for 7 years before we had the boys but i will always carry that guilt.

"4PackGirl" wrote:

4Pack - Don't blame yourself. Seriously. Don't.

Alcoholics are very often top notch liars. I think all of us have been fooled at one time or another by alcoholics. They have this charm to them that's difficult for normies as we're not full of shit like these scumbags are. I feel horrible when I have to lie, even if it's a small meaningless lie. They don't. It just comes out just like telling a story of a Packers game you watched or a time you went fishing with Dad.

AA afaik is the only thing that works. I just hope he doesn't kill anyone before he hits rock bottom. I've heard that it usually takes rock bottom before anyone goes to AA.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
djcubez
14 years ago
My problem is the whole "suspended license" shit. It does nothing. Hell, it's not like you really need a license to drive a car, you'll only get in a shitload of trouble if you get caught. Same logic applies to most drunk drivers anyway. Unless they catch me driving drunk there won't be any consequences.

You have to put these people in jail. Driving drunk is no honest mistake. It's a decision that constantly costs lives and more often than not the lives of people that aren't making the decision to drive drunk. I can't think of a bigger tragedy than losing someone important to you to a drunk driver.

I'm in college and tend to be a heavy drinker. I also live in Milwaukee. A lot of friends have drove drunk and it's awful. If I'm in a position to stop them I always do but most the time I'm not. I myself have never driven drunk. I have driven after a beer or two but even then I try and concentrate harder on the road and become slightly paranoid. What do I do to stop myself from driving drunk? Nothing except knowing it's a terrible decision.

Stopping drunk driving though is a tough thing to stop. The way I see it you normally have two types of drunk drivers: people driving home from a bar/event after a night of drinking or underage kids driving around drinking in their cars because they can't at their parents house. When my sister was in high school she told me about the "booze cruises" that kids took. One time some kids drove from Madison to Janesville and then back with liquor in the car, drinking the whole way and these were teenagers. I've also heard stories of kids just parking somewhere random, drinking a bottle and then driving around seeing what other kids were up to.

So what do you need? Better parenting in this situation? I don't know. One thing I've noticed some parents do is allow their kids to have drinking parties in their own house so that they're supervised and nobody does anything careless (like driving around drunk).

The bar situation is even harder. Should they offer free transportation such as a bar shuttle that leaves once every hour dropping people off? Forcing bartenders to not serve people that don't have DD's or that drove there by themselves? It's tough.

One other issue I saw is there are people that actually take the law into their own hands. They stake out people at bars, follow them to their car, get into their own vehicle and then follow them down the road. After they notice a few swerves they call in the license plate to the police. How do you guys feel about that?
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Sigh.

What if we just recognized life is inevitably going to have some fuckheads in it? And sometimes fuckheads are going to get away with, well, murder.

There are 300+ million people in this country. Most of them on the highway every day.

Take that "2 747-loads/week" stat. Okay, that's 700 people a week. Say they are distributed relatively evenly across the country. There are about 3 million out of those 300 million living in Iowa. If the 700 people a week number were correct that would mean 7/week are killed in Iowa.

It actually isn't that high...it's probably 1/3 of that or less. Actually, I'm betting there's less than 2/week killed in Iowa. That's 100/year.

Let's say your "castrate 'em and make 'em have an interlock device" strategies work beyond your wildest dreams. You cut drunk driving fatalities by half. You save 50 lives. Hooray for you.

At what cost? What does it cost to castrate a few hundred people? (Forget about the civil liberties. They're scum after all. They should be happy we don't send them to Gitmo. I'm just talking about the cost of the surgical procedure and the clean up/disposal crew.) What does it cost to buy several thousand interlock devices and a few hundred extra cops and enforcement officers and assistant DAs and social workers and goddamn lawyers to deal with all that.

Yeah, life sucks sometime. I've lost people I know and value to drunk drivers. Life is a shit sandwich that gets fed to good people when the bastards eat Chateaubriand.

But I don't care if you buy Kohler's top of the line toilet. You're not going to eliminate the shit of the world.

You're just going to have a bigger bill for your toilet.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago
lmao, Wade. You do realize the castration suggestion was said purely tongue in cheek, yes?
UserPostedImage
djcubez
14 years ago

Sigh.

What if we just recognized life is inevitably going to have some fuckheads in it? And sometimes fuckheads are going to get away with, well, murder.

There are 300+ million people in this country. Most of them on the highway every day.

Take that "2 747-loads/week" stat. Okay, that's 700 people a week. Say they are distributed relatively evenly across the country. There are about 3 million out of those 300 million living in Iowa. If the 700 people a week number were correct that would mean 7/week are killed in Iowa.

It actually isn't that high...it's probably 1/3 of that or less. Actually, I'm betting there's less than 2/week killed in Iowa. That's 100/year.

Let's say your "castrate 'em and make 'em have an interlock device" strategies work beyond your wildest dreams. You cut drunk driving fatalities by half. You save 50 lives. Hooray for you.

At what cost? What does it cost to castrate a few hundred people? (Forget about the civil liberties. They're scum after all. They should be happy we don't send them to Gitmo. I'm just talking about the cost of the surgical procedure and the clean up/disposal crew.) What does it cost to buy several thousand interlock devices and a few hundred extra cops and enforcement officers and assistant DAs and social workers and goddamn lawyers to deal with all that.

Yeah, life sucks sometime. I've lost people I know and value to drunk drivers. Life is a shit sandwich that gets fed to good people when the bastards eat Chateaubriand.

But I don't care if you buy Kohler's top of the line toilet. You're not going to eliminate the shit of the world.

You're just going to have a bigger bill for your toilet.

"Wade" wrote:

If everyone had this mentality though nothing would change. Not that I disagree with you.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (17h) : rude
Mucky Tundra (17h) : RIP Frank Ragnow
Mucky Tundra (17h) : @E_Woodyard #Lions HC Dan Campbell says they're gonna put Frank Ragnow down this week. "We've got to be smart," Campbell said.
bboystyle (25-Sep) : Favre using the pitty card during that hearing for his criminal acts
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : Former Packers QB Brett Favre recently announced he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.
Zero2Cool (24-Sep) : The only QBs this season with 0 turnover-worthy plays according to PFF (minimum 30 dropbacks) Aaron Rodgers Malik Willis Justin Fields
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : @DavidBearmanPFN · 18h Vegas has watched Will Levis for 3 weeks and installed them as a 1-point favorite in Miami next week. Let that sink
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Martha, they did play much better with Dalton yesterday
Zero2Cool (23-Sep) : Test results on Sam Darnold’s knee showed a knee bruise and no structural damage. He is not expected to miss any time.
Martha Careful (23-Sep) : Not with Dalton apparently
Mucky Tundra (23-Sep) : Not sure what to make of the NFC South so far this season (outside of the Panthers being a dumpster fire)
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : of course I say that and then they overturn that play that put them on the 49ers 2 yard line
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : *without
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Even with Nacua and Kupp out, Rams looking fiesty on offense
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : Tim Boyle is playing for the Dolphins
Martha Careful (22-Sep) : I love seeing Dallas lose
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : The Red Rifle is on fire in Las Vegas! 3 TDs in the first half!
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (22-Sep) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (22-Sep) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (22-Sep) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (21-Sep) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2m / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

25-Sep / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

25-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

25-Sep / GameDay Threads / wpr

24-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Featured Content / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

23-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.