dhpackr
14 years ago
I don't see how Ted Thompson has improved the Packers. Basically, it is the same team Ted Thompson inherited from Mike Sherman. After 5 seasons, the Packers have a terrible O-line, terrible defensive backfield, and were eliminated in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

Seems the same as 2004.
So if you meet me Have some courtesy, Have some sympathy, and some taste
Use all your well-learned politesse, Or I'll lay your soul to waste
doddpower
14 years ago

I don't see how Ted Thompson has improved the Packers. Basically, it is the same team Ted Thompson inherited from Mike Sherman. After 5 seasons, the Packers have a terrible O-line, terrible defensive backfield, and were eliminated in the Wild Card round of the playoffs.

Seems the same as 2004.

"dhpackr" wrote:

Only two weak areas to a team with it's full choice of draft picks, free agency options, and another full year to continue to develop the talent.

With a smart off-season, I like those chances. Better then a lot of teams can say, that's for sure.
dfosterf
14 years ago
The feces could hit the fan starting tomorrow.

This "what if" is somewhat optimistic in the sense that Lupati will be long gone by 23, imo.

JSonline article 

Are Packers headed for more offensive line turmoil?

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
March 4, 2010 9:25 a.m.

Green Bay - Close your eyes for a second and imagine this:

In the 2010 season opener, the starting offensive line for the Green Bay Packers goes like this: left tackle T.J. Lang, left guard Mike Iupati (rookie), center Scott Wells, right guard Josh Sitton and right tackle Allen Barbre.
Backups? Breno Giacomini, Stanley Daniels, Evan Dietrich-Smith, and a few draft picks.

The league-leading 51 sacks the Packers gave up last season might not look that bad.

With 13 hours left before the start of free agency, the possibility is there that the Packers could be without four players that started games on the offensive line last season: left tackle Chad Clifton, right tackle Mark Tauscher, guard Jason Spitz and left guard Daryn Colledge.

How likely is it that all four players will not return? Not very. The Packers have gotten the reputation the past few years of not showing any indication of getting a deal done, and then all of a sudden flipping a switch and doing the deal.

But could most of them not return? Possibly.

If Clifton is going to be back next season, that contract scenario is going to have to unfold again. Because as it stands right now, a contract for the 10-year veteran that has started 106 of the last 112 regular-season games the Packers have played is not in close to fruition.
Tauscher, whose return last season solidified the line last year in coach Mike McCarthy's opinion, will only be back by the start of free agency at 11:01 p.m. CT if his coach gets his way.

General manager Ted Thompson wanted to move on from Tauscher last season. But Barbre fell on his face and opened the door for Tauscher's return.

Thompson wants to do the same thing this year -- with either Lang or Giacomini taking Tauscher's spot -- but McCarthy has been pushing for Tauscher's return privately.

The Packers' trump card with both Spitz and Colledge, who are both restricted free agents, is that they can match any offer another team may make.

But most NFL observers expect the poison pill -- a provision in a contract that makes it monetarily impossible for the player's former team to match an offer -- to return this season.

That being said, it's hard to see a team getting that creative for a player in Spitz who, while talented and healthy, is coming off back surgery. And in Colledge, any team would be getting a player that has been up and down since he entered the league.

But it would not be surprising if a team came after Spitz. On draft day after his rookie season, at least one team offered the Packers multiple later-round picks for Spitz.

As for Colledge, privately he is furious with the Packers.

He expected a first-round tender and likely did not get it (Colledge said on Boise radio last night he thought it was a second-round tender).
"If it's a second round, maybe I have a chance to move," Colledge said on KTIK. "Maybe I could be coming to a city near you."

Make no mistake, Colledge would like to leave Green Bay and his agent will be working hard to get a team to offer him a contract. He is tired of being forced to play multiple positions, which Colledge feels has hurt his development.

It's not a coincidence that the two best players on the offensive line last season were right guard Josh Sitton and center Scott Wells. Both have played the same position almost exclusively since joining the Packers.
Other players know that very well. That is why Colledge is not alone in his displeasure with the way the Packers have handled their offensive line.

And it's part of the reason why the Packers could be headed for a line reckoning.

Again, a lot of that is worst-case scenario.
Here's the most likely scenario:
Packers cave on Clifton this afternoon, knowing they have no other options at left tackle.
Tauscher is allowed to go free. Door still open to his return depending on what happens in draft.
Spitz gets an offer but Packers match.
Colledge gets no offers and has to sign his tender, so he reluctantly returns to the Packers.
But the point is the Packers have left themselves in a precarious position. After what they've gone through since Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera had to be let go to stay under the cap, you have to wonder why the Packers would even dance with this devil?
But here we are, and you can hear the music.

Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Seems the same as 2004.

"dhpackr" wrote:

The team is completely different. Far younger and with a solid future, pending the right BOLD moves.

2004 we got our asses handed to us by a rival.
2009 we put up a great fight, well, our offense anyhow, hah.

It's been said to YOU several times with facts supporting it. You simply refuse to see it. That's your choice.

It really disappoints me that you can't see our team as better now than it was 5 years ago.

QB we have a bright future, not much of a drop off there.
RB we downgraded, but still get good production.
FB I miss Henderson.
OL massive downgrade.
WR edge goes to this years crop, easily.
TE big ass upgrade
DL I like our DL now more than 5 years ago
LB huge improvement
CB HUGE improvement, we had the freaking DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR for crying out loud.
Safeties I think Collins and Sharper are a wash and Bigby is helluva lot better than who, Mark Roman?
K downgraded from Longwell to Crosby
P we sucked at punting back then too but Bryan Barker or Jeremy Kapinos?

We had talent, but it was AGING talent. Now we have talent that's on the RISE.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Make no mistake, Colledge would like to leave Green Bay and his agent will be working hard to get a team to offer him a contract. He is tired of being forced to play multiple positions, which Colledge feels has hurt his development.

"from article" wrote:

I know I'm not alone this, but ahh, didn't we all say this a million times? I think Colledge could be good, if they stop moving him around. They think it's a great idea to be versatile, sure, on paper it is. However, when it comes to being on the field having to make a split second decision ... am I LT or LG? ... I'm guessing that causes some hesitation. As we all know who've played the game, you play better when you can react, instead of think THEN react.

And its my personal opinion that when you move a player around, he then begins to think first, then react.
UserPostedImage
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
First off, I will agree that IF he doesn't make a real attempt to address the o-line then he should be held accountable to some extent. I won't claim to be able to say to what extent at this point.

As far as comments he has or hasn't made to this point, I will stand by my opinion that I don't really want him to be a good quote - that's not the GM's job. Also, dude's never been one to even approach a serious discussion about what his plans or priorities are publicly. I like that.

Last year I was where you are about the o-line, but my concern was the defense. I was way concerned that he'd just chalk it up to injuries and a slight lack of depth and let it lay. He did not. The scheme was changed. The staff was changed. Real resources were deployed to add important pieces to the new puzzle. PROGRESS was made.

So while I certainly agree that doing similar work on the offensive line must be priority number one this offseason, I guess I'm more optimistic than you are that it, in fact, IS priority number one, his statements notwithstanding.
blank
porky88
14 years ago
That Bedard article is just factually listing the least likely scenario that would happen. The end of the article is more realistic. He seems to be implying GB should be extending guys to long-term deals and not allowing them to be RFAs at all. It sounds like he thinks that it's too risky to let them be RFAs in this uncapped season. What he doesn't say is that if GB loses Spitz and Colldge, they get a second-round pick for each player.

That would give the Packers a first and three seconds in this year's draft. They could conceivably use those resources to move up in the draft twice and grab a LT with their first pick and then a guard with their 2nd.

You could be looking at a Buluga/Pouncey/Wells/Sitton/Lang offensive line then, which I think some people wouldn't mind one bit.

That won't happen though. Spitz and Colledge aren't going anywhere unless GB accepts a reasonable pick for either player. I don't think they intend to move Spitz and I don't think anyone will give up anything more than a fourth rounder for Colledge.

It's a poorly "what if" scenario. They have to write something when there isn't anything to talk about right now I guess.

What if Nick Collins leaves?

That's just as likely IMO.
zombieslayer
14 years ago

QB we have a bright future, not much of a drop off there.
RB we downgraded, but still get good production.
FB I miss Henderson.
OL massive downgrade.
WR edge goes to this years crop, easily.
TE big ass upgrade
DL I like our DL now more than 5 years ago
LB huge improvement
CB HUGE improvement, we had the freaking DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR for crying out loud.
Safeties I think Collins and Sharper are a wash and Bigby is helluva lot better than who, Mark Roman?
K downgraded from Longwell to Crosby
P we sucked at punting back then too but Bryan Barker or Jeremy Kapinos?

We had talent, but it was AGING talent. Now we have talent that's on the RISE.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

QB - I'm going to skip this one.
RB - Ryan Grant in '09 is slightly better than Ahman Green in '04. Now, Green in '03 is better than Grant ever was or ever will be. But he was already declining in '04.

Grant - 282 1253 11 62 4.4
Green - 259 1163 7 90 4.5

Green fumbled 7 times. Grant 1. Green had 1 TD receiving, Grant 0. Overall - edge goes to Grant slightly. Grant is on the rise, Green in '04 on the decline.

FB - We all miss Henderson
WR - '09
TE - '09
OL - '04, not even close
DL - '09
LB - '09
CB - '09, not even close
S - Tie. Despite what everyone else says, I love Sharper. I love Collins too. Bigby vs Roman, I'd take Bigby but I'll still mark it a tie because it's too close to call.
K - Why did we get rid of Ryan Longwell?
P - Suck vs suck. Both lose.

Overall - '09 wins, hands down.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
British
14 years ago
I think Roger Saffold OT is just the kind of guy Ted Thompson might target.

Wes Bunting's take on Saffold. He's really high on him and thinks he could end up making the 1st round.

He also sounds like just the sort of versatile OLineman Ted Thompson loves. A guy who has the ability (according to Bunting) to play LT.

http://www.nationalfootballpos.....e-mix.html 

One guy who continues to impress every time I see him this year is Indiana offensive tackle Rodger Saffold. Saffold is a 6-4, 316-pound prospect with 33 5/8 inch arms and has the versatility to play either the guard or tackle spots at the next level.

Saffold possesses a unique skill set as he has the athleticism, range and footwork to hold his own on the edge in space as a pass protector, but also showcases the natural flexibility to sit into his stance and anchor on contact. He was one of the real standouts this year at the East-West Shrine game, looking like by far the best offensive lineman in attendance. And to be honest, he could have been one of if not the best lineman at the Senior Bowl if given the opportunity.

Now, Saffold didnt drum up a ton of attention for himself at this years combine because he isnt a guy who will ever be confused with a workout warrior. Nevertheless, he was still one of the top performers in the vertical and broad jump, as well as the three-cone drill and short shuttle, showcasing impressive natural lower body explosion in both jumps and above-average coordination in the two change-of-direction events.

However, what stood out to me even more about him at the combine was his ability to keep his base down, back straight and head up consistently during position drills and fluidly slide his feet laterally when asked to mirror. Hes such a smooth, coordinated lineman and is able to really maximize his strength on contact because of his flexible anchor.

Therefore, when I evaluate him as a prospect, I not only think he has the ability to play as a left tackle in the NFL, but, because of his ability to keep his base down and redirect quickly through contact, I could also see him generating a lot of interest as a right tackle or even a guard prospect, as well. Nevertheless, the guy has the versatility to play all over an NFL offensive line, which in turn will only enhance his draft stock.

Now, in terms of draft stock, how high do I think he can go? Well, that all depends on the run of offensive linemen that go in the top half of the draft. But, if the likes of Bryan Bulaga, Russell Okung, Anthony Davis and Bruce Campbell all come off the board early on draft day, it wouldnt surprise me one bit to see Saffold make a run at the later portions of round one.

Overall, hes a talented kid that grades out fairly high in just about every aspect of his game. And to be honest, from a physical standpoint, he reminds me a lot of Baltimore Ravens 2009 first-round pick Michael Oher.

UserPostedImage
beast
14 years ago

I think Roger Saffold OT is just the kind of guy Ted Thompson might target.

"British" wrote:

Me too... but I think he'd be better suited for OG or RT but he seems like a Ted guy more than the others IMO....

Also I really miss FB Henderson :sad:
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (now) : @mattschneidman · 2m The fire alarm is going off inside the Packers locker room here in Nashville.
Mucky Tundra (15m) : Gonna need a drink after looking at my picks for the early games in Pick'em
Zero2Cool (4h) : James Jones. Y’all must not know, Dr. Mackenzie🤣 he was not going to let Jordan love play today.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Malik to start. Love inactive. Per report. Let's go!!
buckeyepackfan (5h) : I think J-10VE will be inactive, a little twist that could be put in is run a wildcat with Wicks at qb. Have him as emergency qb if needed.
Zero2Cool (21h) : I think that's how it works.
Zero2Cool (22h) : I'd go 3 QB regardless this game.
Zero2Cool (22h) : Clifford was elevated, not activated. He doesn't play, it doesn't count.
hardrocker950 (21-Sep) : If Clifford is active, not likely to see Jordan play this weekend
Mucky Tundra (21-Sep) : QB Sean Clifford and CB Robert Rochell elevated from the PS for the Titans game
Zero2Cool (20-Sep) : Love questionable. Morgan is out. Valentine is doubtful
Martha Careful (20-Sep) : Rodgers and Lazard off to a very strong start
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Josh Jacobs. Limited.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Can't find anything on Jacobs :(
wpr (19-Sep) : Do you know if they gave Jacobs an extra day off? I hope so.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : WR Jayden Reed (calf) and G Elgton Jenkins (illness/glute) returned after sitting out Wednesday.
Zero2Cool (19-Sep) : Packers are in pads and so is Jordan Love. Second straight day of practice for QB1.
bboystyle (18-Sep) : If Love comes back, we win in a blow out
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Jordan Love just spoke with reporters and said he’s giving himself the week but hopeful to play Sunday against the Titans.
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Practicing is Jordan Love!
Zero2Cool (18-Sep) : Packers are signing WR Cornelius Johnson to the Practice Squad per sources. Johnson was a 7th round pick this year.
Zero2Cool (17-Sep) : Packers placed RB MarShawn Lloyd on injured reserve.
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Rams won’t have Cooper Kupp or Puka Nacua when they host the Packers in Week 5.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : Or is that the Rusty Red Rifle because of his age?
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : The Red Rifle Returns!
Zero2Cool (16-Sep) : Panthers are benching former No. 1 overall pick Bryce Young and starting veteran Andy Dalton beginning this week.
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : bears still have slim chance here
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : and there's another one!
Mucky Tundra (16-Sep) : oh crap macbob has the Texans K and he keeps hitting these long FGs
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Hope the Texans beat the brakes off the Bears
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : LaFleur: “I asked Malik why he didn’t throw it on that third down and he told me Josh threw up on the ball.”
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : i was wondering why it was just you, me, beast and macbob by the end
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Yeah it was weird today for some reason
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Oh my, marvin harrison jr might be as good as he was billed out to be
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : and none of the chats on my phone are showing up on the desktop chat
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : weird, i was on my phone for chat during the game but now on my desktop I look at chat and there's tons of chats i didn't see on my phone
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Oh yeah, for sure. That's just not fair thoguh.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Zero, what I meant was that surely a tech and IT genius such as yourself would find a way to change the pick
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Well, I mean, I know I did, but might not have waited for it to register and went into Chat. Oh well
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Or so I thought I did. lol
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : I had Colts for few days to throw everyone off. At 11am or so, I changed it to Packers.
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : You know if you didn't say anything you probably could have changed it and no one would have noticed ;)
Mucky Tundra (15-Sep) : Vikings over the 49ers, Bucs over the Lions
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : lol awesome. my pick for Packers didn't go through. sweet
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Packers defense has 6 Takeaways in two games.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : nah
Martha Careful (15-Sep) : I think I've been booted out of the chat room
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jordan Love has his left leg wrapped in a sleeve as he stands on the sidelines during National Anthem.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Jaire Alexander, Eric Wilson and Elgton Jenkins are the Packers’ team captains today against the Colts.
Zero2Cool (15-Sep) : Looks like Sean Rhyan will start at right guard, based on the early warm-ups.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5m / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

21-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

20-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

18-Sep / Random Babble / wpr

18-Sep / Around The NFL / Martha Careful

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

18-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

16-Sep / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.