beast
2 years ago

That's not how Jordy Nelson explained things on Pat McAfee's show, or some other show. He said he was offered a veteran minimum and almost accepted it. This part about Gutekunst talking him out of it, that's news to me. Maybe the GM was trying to say you're not going to see much time, the young WR's are progressing too much and you're regressing?

Aaron Rodgers has said salary is a sign of appreciation and where you stand in the league. (my assumption here) It's not about having enough money, it's more about being top paid QB. We have rumors about such an extension, but we also had a slam dunk trade with Broncos too.

Jake Kumerow. I think timing is what irked Rodgers (if at all) more than anything. He speaks high on the guy and next day he's cut. It's bad optics even though Rodgers is probably fully aware the decision to move on was made before his comments came out. This is the communication breakdown that I think Rodgers is bothered by. He probably feels he should have been intimated that Kumerow would be cut prior to going public with his endorsement of him.

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

And James Jones also talked about Nelson contract situation as well... sounding like he talked with Nelson through out the process and he couldn't believe Nelson wanted to still sign the minimum deal. Then Nelson and Gute had a discussion.. and that change things.

Gute has also said something about how he wanted Adams to become the #1 and it was his time to step up and be the #1 WR. I still don't understand why they couldn't have BOTH Nelson AND Adams...but I'm guessing Gute thought Cobb, Allison and Graham would step up and they didn't.

Just to be clear, no one has explicitly said Gute talked him out of it... other than Gute words about Adams... but all signs point to Nelson wanting to resign with the Packers until his talk with Gute. But Nelson was clearly the best WR other than Adams, and Rodgers favorite.

PLUS... Rodgers is now pissed at Gute and players whom have talked with Rodgers have said, Rodgers feels like he's seen Packers careers end sooner than he believes they should have. Not saying he talking about Nelson, but Nelson is probably totally on Rodgers list in that category, especially since the next year they sucked in the redzone and Rodgers/Nelson were money in the red zone.

Um, Rodgers was k̶i̶s̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶K̶u̶m̶e̶r̶o̶w̶'̶s̶ ̶a̶s̶s̶ endorsing Kumerow all training camp! In most interviews! At least the ones were he was asked about WRs (which is most of them)... there is no way, that they probably cut him before heading his endorsement makes sense... Rodgers was saying he's staying! Gute said no.

Rodgers seems to be unhappy that he doesn't have any say for the team...
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
That is accurate. The Packers wanted Davante Adams to be WR1. I would speculate that having Aaron Rodgers safety blanket, Jordy Nelson, on the team would show Rodgers throwing it to him instead of trusting Adams with a chance.

Still, if Nelson is performing and Adams is fine WR1B, who cares? Reap the benefits.

Yes, Jordy Nelson didn't do well post-Green Bay. Neither did James Jones. Jones came back and proved prolific with Rodgers. Nelson might have had one more good season like that too.
UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago
Jordy has the severe knee injury. Maybe the Packers felt that he would be on the down side, and was time to make a change.
Remember Sterling Sharpe? When he was forced by the neck injury to retire, many said it would benefit Favre, as he couldn’t just look for Sharpe, he would have to spread the ball around.
Look how good our O was when Adams was out. Rodgers had to spread the ball around.

The Brass has to decide when it’s time to let players go.
As has been said, one year early is better then a year too late.
It’s not easy to have to let guys go, but someone has to make the hard calls. It can’t be easy to be the “bad guy”.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
2 years ago
What do you think of these old comments from Rodgers?

UserPostedImage
Cheesey
2 years ago

What do you think of these old comments from Rodgers?

Originally Posted by: Zero2Cool 

He sounds like he has no problem with how the front office does things.
So now he’s mad?
If the door is always open, what changed?
I don’t know.....none of us know what really is going on.
I just wish someone would “pop this pimple”, releave us from the pressure and pain, and get on with things.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
2 years ago
Aaron Rodgers is using the leverage he holds to control his own destiny. He knows how the Packers operate and took exception to the fact they were treating him the same as others before him and said "not so fast guys." I do not believe this is about money or about a say in personnel. He wants to dictate what the remainder of his time in GB looks like and the time frame for a decision is either now or never. His statement about the MVP season "putting a kink the Packers plans" makes perfect sense all of a sudden.
I think Aaron laid in the weeds on this until he was contacted about restructuring his contract. Maybe sometime before that but I thought it was strange that the deadline came and went to get something done that would have provided more cap space and not a word about why at the time. .
If nothing else Aaron Rodgers is a very smart guy. He knows this team is built to win....with him at QB. That leverage goes down every year that goes by.

"The train is leaving the station."
nerdmann
2 years ago

Aaron Rodgers is using the leverage he holds to control his own destiny. He knows how the Packers operate and took exception to the fact they were treating him the same as others before him and said "not so fast guys." I do not believe this is about money or about a say in personnel. He wants to dictate what the remainder of his time in GB looks like and the time frame for a decision is either now or never. His statement about the MVP season "putting a kink the Packers plans" makes perfect sense all of a sudden.
I think Aaron laid in the weeds on this until he was contacted about restructuring his contract. Maybe sometime before that but I thought it was strange that the deadline came and went to get something done that would have provided more cap space and not a word about why at the time. .
If nothing else Aaron Rodgers is a very smart guy. He knows this team is built to win....with him at QB. That leverage goes down every year that goes by.

Originally Posted by: warhawk 

Aaron demanded this contract, to force the team to commit to him. Now they own his rights for three more years.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
Cheesey
2 years ago

Aaron demanded this contract, to force the team to commit to him. Now they own his rights for three more years.

Originally Posted by: nerdmann 

That’s just it. He signed it, willingly. The good with the bad. Even he didn’t know for sure if he would play great, average or bad. No player knows for sure when age will cause a huge decline in play.
But it’s as sure as death, sooner or later all lose “it”.
And the front office has to make the hard decision as when it is time.
They can’t give all the decision power to the player, no matter who it is.
JMO
UserPostedImage
KRK
  • KRK
  • Veteran Member
2 years ago
From a macro perspective, players play, coaches coach and GM's manage.

From a micro, if you as a player to renegotiate/change/take less, then he should have some input as to what you are doing with the shifted or changed dollars...IMO.
In Luce tua Videmus Lucem KRK
Cheesey
2 years ago
Maybe if Rodgers did agree to take less money, and said he wanted what he gave up money wise to go after FAs or something like that, I’d say he should have some kind of input in it. But as far as I’ve seen, he hasn’t agreed to take a pay cut. Or is there something I’m missing?
If a super high paid player expects a team to go “all in” to try to win a Super Bowl, how can he expect the team to be able to try to sign high talented FAs if he is eating up such a high amount of the teams salary cap?
They only have so much money to spread around.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (4h) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (4h) : fuck
beast (5h) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (5h) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (5h) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (6h) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (6h) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (6h) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (6h) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (7h) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (8h) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (8h) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (8h) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
dfosterf (19-Apr) : The only problem with that is he isn't a guard either.
dfosterf (19-Apr) : Put him at right guard. That is where he will be coached. That is where he will compete. He is not even allowed to look at the LT playbook.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Kidding aside, I hope the best for him.
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Went to a Titans board. One comment there. Not very long. I quote: "LOL" They don't sound overly upset about our aquisition.
beast (18-Apr) : OT Dillard has been absolutely horrible... like OG Newman levels
dfosterf (18-Apr) : Suit him up and have him stand in front of the big board as a draft day cautionary tale.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
22m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

21-Apr / Fantasy Sports Talk / dfosterf

19-Apr / Random Babble / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

18-Apr / Random Babble / Mucky Tundra

18-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

17-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.