bboystyle
3 years ago

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure I read this very quote on this very forum back in 2008 when the Packers were moving on from Favre in favor of Rodgers. Certainly, it wasn't from you but that mindset existed.

The whole "going back to the Packers of the 70s and 80s" is a very aggressive stance. I think it's based more on frustration than analysis. The organization was not ran well back then. It has since changed immensely. To be candid, if the personnel in charge now were connected to the personnel in charge in the 70s and 80s, then I would see this point. However, that's not the case.

There are a handful of people to thank for the Packers success over the last 30 years. Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers are certainly on that list, but not at the top. The top starts with Bob Harlan and Ron Wolf. Mark Murphy, Russ Ball, and Brian Gutekunst cut their teeth under those guys. It was the same with Ted Thompson. It's a better run organization now. If it was "shitty" as you indicated, then we would be picking in the top 5 every year like Detroit, Jacksonville, N.Y. Jets, etc...

The Packers put in a place a business model for sustained success 30 years ago and it has worked. They have been loyal to this model, as a result. It's helped them transition from Favre to Rodgers and its the same model they are going to use to transition from Rodgers to Jordan Love (or whoever the next guy is).

It doesn't prevent bumps in the road or even really bad seasons. Nobody is infallible and eventually the Packers are going to go a couple of years without a winning record. Honestly, they've had 2 seasons with losing records in which Rodgers started 16 more games. They had one with Favre.

Nevertheless, I do think the organization in its current state deserves better than the assumption they are going to turn back the clock in the form of the 70s and 80s.

Originally Posted by: porky88 

I appreciate your opinion here. But i disagree. Packers got lucky with Rodgers. If not for him, we would be the Lions or Jets of the league. We all seen how this team operatea without Rodgers. We can bareky top 5 wins in the time Rodgers was not playing.

U may have read this back in 2008 because no one thought Rodgers would play at a HoF worthy level. But he did. Despite the lack of building a team around him.

There has been no NFL team who had 3 QBs back to back play at a high level. Theres no way Love will and when that time comes, this post will have merit to it
nerdmann
3 years ago
Matt is a way better QB guru than Mike McCarthy, and his system is way tighter.
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
earthquake
3 years ago

I appreciate your opinion here. But i disagree. Packers got lucky with Rodgers. If not for him, we would be the Lions or Jets of the league. We all seen how this team operatea without Rodgers. We can bareky top 5 wins in the time Rodgers was not playing.

U may have read this back in 2008 because no one thought Rodgers would play at a HoF worthy level. But he did. Despite the lack of building a team around him.

There has been no NFL team who had 3 QBs back to back play at a high level. Theres no way Love will and when that time comes, this post will have merit to it

Originally Posted by: bboystyle 

At some point, Aaron Rodgers is going to be gone, whether he's traded, signs with another team, retires, etc. Unless you have a time machine, there's no keeping him around forever. So we'll see how well the Packers can develop a QB not named Favre or Rodgers. Personally, I think it will be an exciting an interesting time, whenever it happens. Now, obviously, if the Packers trade Rodgers, and he goes on to play another 6 years and wins a couple of Super Bowls, they will look rather foolish - especially if they fail to develop Love or whoever they draft after him.

That said, I wouldn't look at the seasons where Rodgers has been hurt when trying to predict the Packer's ability to develop their QB of the future. Those are teams that invested very little resources in the QB position other than #12. And for good reason, you don't take QBs high or sign high priced free agents to sit on the bench.

These are some of the recent QB moves the Packers made that resulted in poor QB play:

[list]
  • Traded a player they were going to cut for Deshone Kizer
  • Signed an over the hill Seneca Wallace, who was promptly injured as soon as he got a chance to play
  • Drafted Brett Hundley in the 5th round[/list]
  • These are the bare minimum type moves a team makes when they have a franchise, HOF type QB. Comparing the Packers without Rodgers to the Bears or the Lions is disingenuous. None of these moves are even remotely on par with trading up to pick Mitch Trubisky. Let's be honest here, the Bears are cursed when it comes to QBs. Starting with Ron Wolf, the Packers have developed a number of QBs that would have been better than what the Bears have had in the last 30 years. Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, Dy Detmer, Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, Craig Nall, and Matt Flynn to name a few. Even back into the 80s, the Packers had good QBs leading otherwise bad teams, like Don Majokwsi and Lynn Dickey. The Packers know what a Quarterback looks like, so it's unlikely they'll become the Bears, Browns, Lions, Jets, etc overnight.

Drafting Jordan Love was the the most they invested in a QB since Rodgers in 2005. The second most would have been Brian Brohm back in 2008. Generally speaking, the Packers have been drafting late for the last 30 years, so they haven't had many opportunities to pick blue chip prospects. If Love ends up sucking, the Packers will be picking high for a couple years, and will get another swing at a QB to develop. Now, it's true that they could get stuck in a cycle of developing bad QBs for a decade or more, like many of the worst teams seem to find themselves, but there's very little about how the organization is run that suggests that would happen.

Personally, I think the Love becoming a HOF type QB is about as likely as the Packers struggling to find another good QB for the next 5-10 years. Which is to say, both are rather unlikely, and more likely will be that the Packers end up with a solid, but not out-of-this-world talent QB. That might be Love, it might be someone else. It will be interesting to see it play out.

One positive here is that Matt LaFleur's offense should be more friendly to a developing QB. This isn't late-stage Mike McCarthy's offense that needed superman at QB and a stable of 5 solid WRs to win. Lost in all of the drama is that in 2019, the Packers season ended in the same result (loss NFCC) as 2020, even though Rodgers had a down year (by his standards at least).

So there's a lot of revisionist history going on here. From 2013-2019 (excepting his excellent 2014 season), Rodgers was a QB that struggled to stay healthy and was declining statistically. Obviously, with the hindsight of Rodgers' MVP 2020 season, picking Jordan Love seems unnecessary, perhaps even foolish, but nobody expected Rodgers to play that well.
    blank
    isocleas2
    3 years ago

All u pro management fans are hilarious.

I expected this from him but alot sooner. Hell, i expected it after the 2014 debacle. Good for him to allow us a few more playoff spots before we go back to being the Packers of the 70s and 80s.

First Favre now Rodgers. GB has really turned into a shitty franchise.

First Favre now Rodgers? You realize if the Packers would have capitulated to Favre there never would have been a Rodgers era right? Just like now if they capitulate to Rodgers there won't be a Love era etc.

Back when Favre was shown the door there were alot of fans who proved to me more of fans of Favre than they were fans of the green bay Packers. A cult of personality is the term and it often occurs with star players. With the way you constantly crap on Packers fans and the organization itself gives me a pretty good indication where you would stand.
    Cheesey
    3 years ago
    That’s just it.
    Some people are Packer fans, some are fans of whoever is a “winner” at the time.
    I myself am a Packer fan. I was a fan of Favre as long as he was “our” QB. I’m a fan of Rodgers as long as he’s our QB. If he’s on “my” team, I’ll cheer for him.
    If he craps on my team, I won’t cheer for him.
    UserPostedImage
    bboystyle
    3 years ago

First Favre now Rodgers? You realize if the Packers would have capitulated to Favre there never would have been a Rodgers era right? Just like now if they capitulate to Rodgers there won't be a Love era etc.

Back when Favre was shown the door there were alot of fans who proved to me more of fans of Favre than they were fans of the green bay Packers. A cult of personality is the term and it often occurs with star players. With the way you constantly crap on Packers fans and the organization itself gives me a pretty good indication where you would stand.

Originally Posted by: isocleas2 

I constantly crap on Packers fans and the team? Lol. So calling out how homerism runs rampant in GB and how the team is ran so mediocre is a bad thing? Sorry mr super fan, im not all rah rah about the team. All of that changed after the fiasco mess in 2014. We have had 2 hof QBs the past 30 years and have what to show for it?
    bboystyle
    3 years ago

That’s just it.
    Some people are Packer fans, some are fans of whoever is a “winner” at the time.
    I myself am a Packer fan. I was a fan of Favre as long as he was “our” QB. I’m a fan of Rodgers as long as he’s our QB. If he’s on “my” team, I’ll cheer for him.
    If he craps on my team, I won’t cheer for him.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Who are these people? I see plenty of long time Packer fans criticizing the state of the team. I think u mean there are homers who just cheer for whatever product is on the field (good or bad) and there are those who see through all the BS that goes down and calls it out.

How is it that we are in 2021 and still have the same issues since 2011? Meidocre to horrid D, no pass rush, getting blown out in the playoffs, no WR not named Adams, no real MLB, thin at the DL, ect.

All of these have been the reason why the Packers never made it back to the SB. All of these issues refuse to be taken seriously as the GM, and i quote him, thibks the team is set at every postion and we dont really need anyone in the draft....

Cheesey
    3 years ago

Who are these people? I see plenty of long time Packer fans criticizing the state of the team. I think u mean there are homers who just cheer for whatever product is on the field (good or bad) and there are those who see through all the BS that goes down and calls it out.

How is it that we are in 2021 and still have the same issues since 2011? Meidocre to horrid D, no pass rush, getting blown out in the playoffs, no WR not named Adams, no real MLB, thin at the DL, ect.

All of these have been the reason why the Packers never made it back to the SB. All of these issues refuse to be taken seriously as the GM, and i quote him, thibks the team is set at every postion and we dont really need anyone in the draft....

So....you ask who these people are, then state exactly what I was saying but wording it differently.
    Look around the NFL. How many other teams have not even made it to the playoffs, or maybe one time since 2011.
    As many times as the Packers have won their division and made the playoffs, they have done a lot better then most of the teams in the NFL. I wouldn’t call their record “mediocre”. The Vikings, the Bears and especially the Lions I would call mediocre.
    There is only so much money to go around. So you can’t always buy the best talent.
    And some of the playoff losses were fluke losses. The one in overtime when Rodgers was pulled down by his face mask, no penalty called, and he fumbled with the other team scoring. Ty Montgomery’s screw up kick return, the guy that wasn’t supposed to touch the on side kick and fumbled it away and on and on it goes.
    And the other team is paid to try to win too.
    And like a few examples I just gave, sometimes the refs miss calls (remember the replacement refs screwed up call against the Seahawks) and sometimes individuals mess up when they don’t do what they are told to do. And sometimes you just don’t get the bounces of the ball.
    Some were fault of players, sometimes the refs, sometimes just bad luck at the wrong time.’
    And being as the Packers have been consistently good, they always end up picking in the draft at the end of the rounds. Missing out on the best prospects. So that makes it a lot harder for the GM to get top notch talent when the “picks of the litter” are all gone by the time you get your pick.

UserPostedImage
    bboystyle
    3 years ago

So....you ask who these people are, then state exactly what I was saying but wording it differently.
    Look around the NFL. How many other teams have not even made it to the playoffs, or maybe one time since 2011.
    As many times as the Packers have won their division and made the playoffs, they have done a lot better then most of the teams in the NFL. I wouldn’t call their record “mediocre”. The Vikings, the Bears and especially the Lions I would call mediocre.
    There is only so much money to go around. So you can’t always buy the best talent.
    And some of the playoff losses were fluke losses. The one in overtime when Rodgers was pulled down by his face mask, no penalty called, and he fumbled with the other team scoring. Ty Montgomery’s screw up kick return, the guy that wasn’t supposed to touch the on side kick and fumbled it away and on and on it goes.
    And the other team is paid to try to win too.
    And like a few examples I just gave, sometimes the refs miss calls (remember the replacement refs screwed up call against the Seahawks) and sometimes individuals mess up when they don’t do what they are told to do. And sometimes you just don’t get the bounces of the ball.
    Some were fault of players, sometimes the refs, sometimes just bad luck at the wrong time.’
    And being as the Packers have been consistently good, they always end up picking in the draft at the end of the rounds. Missing out on the best prospects. So that makes it a lot harder for the GM to get top notch talent when the “picks of the litter” are all gone by the time you get your pick.

Originally Posted by: Cheesey 

Most of your reply did not contain to my comments.

I never said the Packers are a mediocre team. I said the defense, for most of the past decade, have been mediocre to god awful.

I also never said anything about fluke or close losses in the playoffa. I clearly stated the multiple blowouts we have had in the playoffs after a fluke season.

U cant bring up salary cap because even with Rodgers at QB, we had several seasons where we were well below the cap but we just sat on hands and did squat hoping our draft picks will pan out (im looking at u Thompson).

Im sorry but there is no excuss for the horrible drafting and lack of fixing issues in the team. How many years did we go without a consistent RB before Jones came along? How many first round WRs have we taken when prior seasons showed we needed help at that position? (Fun fact, Packers havent drafter a WR in the first round since 2014).

I mean dont expext our problems to be fixed in one year. But to have the same issues on the team for years and not fix it, that falls on management and the upper folks.

U should really investigate the nepotism that goes on in GB. It will open up your eyes. GB is not about winning, its about fielding a product that can keep the fans happy while making $$$
    Zero2Cool
    3 years ago
    One of the things I really dislike about our current times is how fast small things turn into something huge. Each news outlet, each "reporter" and each tom dick an harry is commenting their opinion on this subject and misrepresenting facts to fit their attention driven motives.

I decided to turn on sports radio on my drive to work and the local guys were talking about the plethora of reports that Aaron wants Brian fired, that Aaron doesn't want to come back to Green Bay, that Aaron is demanding a trade, blah blah blah. First of all, there was one report which upon Jay Glazer confirmed (while a bunch of "look at me" people said it was what they were hearing) that there was discontent between Aaron and the Packers. Mark Murphy basically verified that discontent himself which was published on Packers.com. The guys on the radio even did a 180° on the Jordan Love pick. When the pick was made, they understood it and now "rookie" called the Packers idiots for it and they are getting what they deserve. These dipshits in the media act like people have no memory, no recollection of things said just a year ago. It's insulting to our intelligence.

I do not believe Aaron wants Brian fired. It doesn't make sense.
    I do not believe Aaron is refusing to return to Green Bay. It doesn't make sense.
    I do believe Aaron wants contractual commitment beyond 2021. That makes sense. Packers used a first round pick on a QB and he doesn't want to completely be a placeholder without having some say in it. A committed contract is just that. I do not think anyone would blame or fault him for it.

What we're in the middle of is a contract negotiation tug-o-war. As I said before, if this was 20 years ago, we'd hear nothing more than Aaron and Packers are in a heated contract discussion.

My plea to those who are building up angst towards Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers, Mark Murphy, or Brian Gutekunst --- understand you are being played! Your emotions are being molested by people who care nothing about you and care mostly (if not only) about getting and keeping attention regardless of the damage inflicted.
    UserPostedImage
    Fan Shout
    Martha Careful (3h) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
    Zero2Cool (3h) : Walter Stanely's son
    buckeyepackfan (4h) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
    buckeyepackfan (4h) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
    Zero2Cool (4h) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
    Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
    Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
    TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
    Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
    dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
    dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
    Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
    Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
    earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
    beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
    dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
    dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
    Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
    Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
    dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
    dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
    Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
    packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
    Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
    dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
    beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
    Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
    beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
    beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
    beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
    beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
    dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
    TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
    dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
    Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
    Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
    Please sign in to use Fan Shout
    2023 Packers Schedule
    Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
    Bears
    Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
    Falcons
    Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
    SAINTS
    Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
    LIONS
    Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
    Raiders
    Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
    Broncos
    Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
    VIKINGS
    Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
    RAMS
    Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
    Steelers
    Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
    CHARGERS
    Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
    Lions
    Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
    CHIEFS
    Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
    Giants
    Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
    BUCCANEERS
    Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
    Panthers
    Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
    Vikings
    Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
    BEARS
    Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
    Cowboys
    Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
    49ers
    Recent Topics
    5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
    Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.