Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
A co worker and I got to talking this morning about what we would do if we were in Teddy's shoes after one game.. 60 minutes of football and what position made us concerned. Again after one game.

He argued that running back was the concern and how he would fill it.. the Lynch trade was his choice.. even if it required giving up a linebacker and such.. he thought Poppinga and a later round pick would get it done.. I disagreed that Poppinga carries that type of value.. but his opinion not mine.

After one game and watching tape I had some mental ideas of weaknesses that we have from a personnel standpoint.

Running back depth was one.

Defensive actives, but that is a temporary worry.. guys will come back.

Defensive line depth.. before and after the Harrell injury..

Punt returner... yeah I still don't like Options A (Williams) and option B (Jennings) being put at risk.

Edge backers.. We have Matthew and Jones.. no worries there.. Zombo looks the part of adding pressure (I see Paup when I see Zombo)... but beyond that I have little faith in the depth.

Corner back depth is a concern.. but will Harris due back, Shields looks promising and I still hold faith in Underwood.. not pressing at the moment.

Random thoughts aside I still rate the punt returner issue as the first priority if I was to make a move.. a single move.

So.. with my rambles above notwithstanding..

Leap into Mike McCarthy or Ted's position for a single decision.. and give your solution and reasoning to it.

List your primary concern after week one and how you would address it from a personnel standpoint, more details the better as I am looking for your thoughts..

If adding a player from outside, how added and whom goes upon the roster to make room.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Oh geez. I'm going to let you down here Pack as I won't go into depth. The thing is, I just don't know.

I do know that I want another RB as I don't trust Jackson to play the next 18 games and Kuhn is too slow to be my #1 RB. Nance is a backup and only a backup. He can't be my #1.

I wouldn't have gone into the season with 3 FBs and 4 TEs. I thought that was silly before the season started. I would have had 3 RBs.

Historically, a lot of teams lose a RB as the year goes on. Heck, look at us. How many times have we finished a season with our RBs healthy? Jackson never finished a season. I don't think that guy with the cool hair who used to back up Ahman Green ever played a full season. Ah yes, Najeh Davenport. Was drawing a blank. Heck, Green was our best back since the Favre era and he never even had 2 straight healthy seasons. So Grant has been our most reliable back since the Favre era began.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
D line is my biggest concern. Harrell is out, I think he could have been a nice plus had he been able to stay healthy. Neal's injury is the kind that tends to linger and affects the ability to perform. Cullen is dinged, he should be able to heal but it will affect his performance until that time. I question how ready Wynn and Wilson are.

Running back is tenuous. Kuhn will not be much of a threat and Nance is unproven if Jackson goes down. Getting Lynch at a fair price would be a huge plus IMO. I agree, Popingga and a late draft choice won't do it. If it did I would jump on it. I read the Bills asked for Brad Jones and a high draft choice. I would not do that. I would offer a choice of 3 from Donald Lee, Pat Lee, Popingga and a low draft pick. If they want Hawk I would want something along with Lynch. Hawk is a starter, Lynch is 3rd string. The 2 ahead of Lynch are not All Pro. Hawk, though not spectacular, has been solid.

DBs will come around. Underwood getting healthy will help. Shields and Burnette should get better game by game. Harris and Bigby will be pluses if they can contribute. And we always have Bush to fall back on. I say that kiddingly, but actually, how many teams have somebody that level to fall back on as a 5th or 6th CB that can also play safety?

Griminy, the Bills should also consider we already gave them Meredith!LOL
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Everyone probably knows where I'm going to come down but ... I still don't trust the left side of the OL.

I'd be giving reps to Bulaga and telling Clifton he's gotta do better or he gets yanked.

And I'd be calling about Mankins and asking Belichek's terms.

Okay, now that I got that unreasonable dead horse/wishful thinking out one more time, the next thing I'd do...

Leave no stone unturned for a nickel/dime CB.

I still think that, after OL, that's the position that is going to bite us hardest before the season is done.

One injury at corner and we're in serious do-do.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
porky88
13 years ago
My concern remains the pass rush, but the Packers have made their own bed now. I wouldn't go outside the organization at this point and make a deal. Nobody is going to give up a quality pass rusher at this point in the season. I know Adalius Thomas is out there and I'd give him a look, but he'd have to be impressive in a workout for me to consider it.

I'll add this though. I want to see Brandon Jackson play against Buffalo and Chicago. If he can't run on the Bears and Bills, then we have a problem. My solution would be Marshawn Lynch. Even if it's just a one year rental ala Andre Rison.
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
A one and a two and a Underwood for Asamougha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
Just realized I didn't answer whole question:

If Mankins, and part of Belichek's price was not player(s), I'd cut Colledge or Spitz. I'd trade either/both of those, and/or any linebacker except Jones and Matthews. :)

If CB: I"d flip a three sided coin with Underwood/Lee/Bush, and that's the one I'd cut.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
Porforis
13 years ago
I don't think RB is that big of a concern. BJ won't be a consistent 1500 yard rusher, but he'll get the job done and Kuhn is more than capable of handling himself too. Personally, I'm more concerned about corner play and the pass rush.
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / dfosterf

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.