Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Green Bay Packers must give up on Justin Harrell

BY MIKE VANDERMAUSE MVANDERMAUSE@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM AUGUST 20, 2010

Its time for the Green Bay Packers to pull the plug on the failed Justin Harrell experiment.

The 2007 first-round draft choice has spent the better part of four years fighting a losing battle against injuries. The Packers need to shut it down for good and move on.

This has nothing to do with Harrells character or work ethic. Hes an upstanding citizen who has tried his best to live up to the high expectations that accompanied his selection with the 16th overall pick.

But its not working, and the longer the Packers drag this out, the less time and energy they can spend grooming worthier and healthier defensive linemen.

Whether Harrell is injury prone, has a low tolerance for pain or is simply the victim of a string of bad luck doesnt matter anymore. It has become clear he cant make it in a league that demands, in the words of Packers coach Mike McCarthy, availability and accountability.

Harrell hasnt completed a full season since his junior year in college. He missed all but three games as a senior (torn biceps) at Tennessee, then played in just seven games as a Packers rookie (ankle). His injury troubles were just getting started.

Harrell missed the 2008 offseason program, training camp and the first seven games following back surgery. He was activated in midseason but lasted only six games before a hip injury related to the previous back problems flared up. Last year, Harrell stayed healthy for only one week of training camp before reinjuring his back and missing the entire season.

Having played in just 16 games in four years coming into training camp, Harrell and the Packers were hoping his fortunes would change.

On Monday, after Harrell made it through two weeks of practice without an injury, he spoke optimistically. Everything is holding up good, Harrell said. Just trying to take it one day at a time.

By the next morning, Harrells back tightened up, and he hasnt practiced since.

McCarthy, in an obvious attempt to protect his beleaguered player, downplayed the latest development.

Its training camp, McCarthy said. It happens.

Yes, but its Harrell, and injuries happen to him all the time.

McCarthy has expressed visible displeasure with other injury-prone players through the years, trotting out his familiar availability and accountability phrase, but he has never appeared impatient with Harrell. Its possible he feels sorry for Harrell, whose effort hasnt been questioned by his coaches.

The kid is working his butt off, said defensive line coach Mike Trgovac. Hes trying hard.

Its also possible McCarthy wants to give Harrell every possible chance to succeed because he sees great potential in the 6-foot-4, 315-pounder. As recently as the Packers preseason opener last week against Cleveland, Trgovac saw flashes of promise in Harrell.

Justin I thought showed some signs of life, Trgovac said. I thought he did some good things in the game. Its just a matter of keeping him out here. Justins a good football player. Hes a strong kid that can move. When hes in there, he does a good job for us.

The problem is, hes hardly ever in there because hes nursing one ailment or another.

Its possible Harrells back could loosen up in time for him to play in the preseason game against Seattle Saturday night, but even in the unlikely event that happens, how long can he last?

We know the answer based on his injury-checkered past.

Mike Vandermause is sports editor of the Press-Gazette.

I think he's right. I think they really do feel sorry for him. They say the same things about Justin Harrell that one says about a retarded child: "He's trying so hard!"
UserPostedImage
RajiRoar
13 years ago
Packers training staff was working on Harrell's back in the first quarter. im no expert but if his back is acting up before he even gets on the field that is a bad sign.

especially since the fat turd basicly moon'd our whole section in the process. :pukeright:

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
porky88
13 years ago
He really missed one day of practice because of injury. The other day he would've practiced, but had to be their for the birth of his child. And he played against Seattle. He was in their late in the game as well back injury and all.

If he's better than the guys he's competing against, I keep him. If not, I let him go.
13 years ago
I know it doesn't really matter, but this is just an asshole move by Vandermause, who hasn't shut up about Justin Harrell all summer. For one, this article has been written about a dozen times before. Secondly, his first child was just born, and you're going to write an article telling the Packers GM to get rid of Harrell the next day? Asshole.

Imagine if your first child was born and the next day someone wrote a lengthy article/email/whatever saying you should be fired.
UserPostedImage
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
I think right now I'd say he's out, but he shouldn't be cut now. Give him a chance until the final cuts.
This is a placeholder
yooperfan
13 years ago
The kid doesn't show much at this point, but then he hasn't gotten much playing time due to injury.
I think they should give him a chance, if he can stay healthy, to the final cutdown.
I don't think there is any need to rush to judgement with any of our D-linemen at this point.
Lynn_Dickey
13 years ago
Is anyone here old enough to remember the Mandrich days? I do. And this was the same crap that was going on with him. The beat writers knew he was a bust (mostly because the coaches and scouts would tell them so) and they would write that he was bust, and a few fans with green and gold glasses would defend the guy. I heard so may arguments about him back in the day it was ridiculous. In the end....BUST. Let me me end the supsense on Harrell.......BUST. I like TT, and I think he has done a very good job, but this was a bad pick. It happens. Cut him and move on. Or, cut him in a few weeks but do not let him take away practice time from potential players.
blank
TheEngineer
13 years ago
Do PUP players count against the 53 man roster? We could PUP him to start the season if it doesn't. I'm not sure if the Packers would be willing given his salary though.
blank
13 years ago
Let's look at this in a realistic manner and not an emotional one.

7 D-linemen make the roster.

NT- is Raji. Pickett moves inside if something happens to Raji. Toribio make the practice squad as insurance.

Jenkins and Neal make the team so we are up to 4.

The last 3 spots are up for grabs between Harrell, Wynn, Wilson, and Talley.

Let's say the Packers go with only 6 D-linemen. Pickett, Jenkins, Raji, Neal and 2 of Harrell, Wynn, Wilson and Talley.

Harrell still makes it. With the Jolly suspension, Harrell makes the team.

Wilson was a 7th rounder teams passed on in the draft. He's done nothing is preseason that would cause a team to claim him before the Packers put him on the practice squad. Nobody signed Talley when they had their chances.

If Harrell gets injured they activate Wilson off the practice squad. They will not cut Harrell.
blank
Lynn_Dickey
13 years ago
OK C Cheese, let's look at realistically. Back-ups need to play special teams! In the startting 3 D-line, we have 4 potential starters. Pickett / Raji / Pickett / Neal. The other 2 spots are for back-ups who prove they can play special teams. Harrell has not proven he can stay healthy to play special teams. So, either he has the talent to be a starter, or the team is weaker keeping him on the roster. From the comments coming out of GB, McCarthy et all are serious about improving special teams. If so, I do not see how Harrell makes this team. Aslo, many 3-4 Defenses keep extra Line backers for special teams and only go with 6 down lineman.
blank
Fan Shout
beast (14h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.