doddpower
13 years ago

Failing to meet expectations... what else would you call it?

Okay.. don't like bust.. then how about underachieving. ;)

"pack93z" wrote:

Failing to meet expectations is not what I call a bust. It's not living up to the hype, which is not desirable, but still could be much worse. The guy is a reliable player, fights through injuries, switches positions when necessary, etc. He might not be the best, but the coaches can depend on him.

I have heard your arguments many many times over the past few years. I agree with a lot of what you say, but obviously our definitions of "bust" are different. Hype is just what it is: hype. At this point, I would consider Justin Harrell a bust.
zombieslayer
13 years ago

Failing to meet expectations... what else would you call it?

Okay.. don't like bust.. then how about underachieving. ;)

"pack93z" wrote:

OK, I'm fine with underachieving.

Thanks for defining what you say bust but keep in mind that most people would argue with your definition (and for once, I'd take the majority opinion on something). By your definition of bust, half the first round picks drafted would be busts.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Pack93z
13 years ago

By your definition of bust, half the first round picks drafted would be busts.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

And I would happen to agree. Go through the last couple of seasons.. there are players a heck of a lot worse that Hawk and greater busts, but all of them to some degree or another failed to due what they were drafted to do.

If you are drafted in the first round, the expectations are higher thus the compensation is higher.. and the plain truth of it is most first rounders don't meet their expectations.. I have no doubt about that.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Packers_Finland
13 years ago
No matter how high he was drafted, a 5-year starter who doens't completely suck is not a bust in my book.
This is a placeholder
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
lol Hawk isn't a bust, no he's not an elite LB, but no one predicted him to be one coming out of college. Correction, I didn't hear anyone say he would be elite. I heard Hawk was a above average talent that had a low ceiling and was a safe pick. That whomever drafted him, knew what they were getting.

We knew not to expect Lawrence Taylor so when he doesn't live up to that, you can't call him a bust ... in MY book... which has lots of pictures cuz words confuse me.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
13 years ago
Whom expected Hawk to be a Taylor type?

Yes we was labeled a safe pick.. because you would get production from him and we have.. no one is saying he hasn't.

That was a piss poor draft overall.. and we are lucky we don't have a major bust on our hands.. agreed.

But Hawk has not played up to his talent.. and that isn't because the talent itself is there.. personally it is on the mental side of the game and I have to believe, when we see others there as well, the positional coaching.

Go watch some footage of Hawk in college vs the pro.. he doesn't look like the same player.. in college he attacked.. here he reacts.

And that is where the disappointment in his game comes in.. and where he hasn't lived up to expectations.

Call it what you want.. maybe it is fear of the word bust.. but even the coaches tell you he has to turn it loose and play more aggressively..
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I'm no expert, but I do agree that Hawk hesitates before attacking, which often leaves him out of place.
UserPostedImage
doddpower
13 years ago

Whom expected Hawk to be a Taylor type?

Yes we was labeled a safe pick.. because you would get production from him and we have.. no one is saying he hasn't.

That was a piss poor draft overall.. and we are lucky we don't have a major bust on our hands.. agreed.

But Hawk has not played up to his talent.. and that isn't because the talent itself is there.. personally it is on the mental side of the game and I have to believe, when we see others there as well, the positional coaching.

Go watch some footage of Hawk in college vs the pro.. he doesn't look like the same player.. in college he attacked.. here he reacts.

And that is where the disappointment in his game comes in.. and where he hasn't lived up to expectations.

Call it what you want.. maybe it is fear of the word bust.. but even the coaches tell you he has to turn it loose and play more aggressively..

"pack93z" wrote:

I agree he may look like a different player, but one must remember that the NFL is essentially a different game. Everyone's faster, stronger, and smarter. I don't think there is anyway to quantify these aspects of the NFL vs. Hawks college performance.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago
"Bust" -- an area where doubleD is overrated and A is accurate.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Lynn_Dickey
13 years ago

Do I feel sorry for Harrell? No not really for reasons already stated.

However, there is a difference between Tony Mandarich and Justin Harrell. Harrell has been hurt. He hasn't seen the field, but when he's on the field, I've seen more out of him than C.J. Wilson or Jarius Wynn.

Mandarich was a complete bust. He couldn't cut it as a LT. He ended up in Indy as a guard and was alright for awhile, but there is a difference between the two players. One is a bust because of skill and the other is a bust because of injury.

I pretty much agree with what CaliforniaCheez said.

I think they'll keep six or seven DL. Seven with Toribio, who I've been impressed enough with to keep on the team. Right now, you can only justify Wilson or Wynn above Harrell because of injuries/confidence.

"Lynn_Dickey" wrote:

THe point wasn't that they were the same type of player, the point was that I am sick of excuses when the truth is obvous. Harrell gets hurt a lot!!! FACT. McCarthy says you need to be available and accountable. Harrell has not been available and there are tons of excuses why not. (I will forgive the wife/baby thing). I am willing to bet that Harrell either won't make the 53 man roster, or will get hurt so that he is not available for 8 games or more. If I am wrong, I will leave this forum. If I am right, you will all have to post that Lynn Dickey was the best deep throwing QB the pack has ever had!!!!!! Ahhhh '82 was a fun year!!!

"porky88" wrote:

Well I guess I can come back now. Please look at Harrell without emotion, when you do, you will see that it was wrong to believe he would make it through a season. Now look at Bush without emotion. He is not very good. Sorry
blank
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.