Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

When I pass out and my time is spent, I hope for no lofty monument. No splendid procession marching slow, along the last long road I go; No pomp and glory I care for then, when I depart from the world of men.

But I'd like to think when my race is through that there will be in the world a few who'll say, "Well, there is a good man gone, I'm sorry to see him passing on, for he was a sort that's fair and square, the kind of fellow it's hard to spare.

He hadn't money, he hadn't fame, but he kept the rules and played the game, his eye were true and his laugh was clear, he held his truth and honor dear. And now that his work is at an end, I know how much I shall miss my friend."

If my life shall earn such words as those I shall smile in peace as my eyelids close, I shall rest in quiet and lie content, with the words of a friend for my monument.

by Berton Braley from Songs of the Work a Day World - 1915

That was the poem my grandfather had studied, memorized and recited for a speech class his junior year at Edison High School.

Thursday night at 10:30pm, Lowell Dewayne Formo moved on from this world. Survived by his wife Marolyn, deceased wife of 50+ years Maxine Formo, and 6 children (all with Maxine). Countless grandchildren and many great grandchildren will carry his legacy. Served in WWII, never told more than 2 minutes of what he did there. Uprooted his young family to be an educator and missionary for the Lord in South Africa for many years.

I wasn't going to post anything here about him, but for some reason felt compelled to. Not looking for any condolences, but just wanted to express my feelings for a hero of my life. I've avoided posting in any personal threads (Zero's grandmother and WPR's mentor i.e.) because I can't put words to how I feel for both Kevin and Wayne. Just know I empathize.

Even on death's bed, he had a sense of humor. He joked around with us, told me how he had a direct line of contact with my boss and always had a watch on me. The best thing I heard from him was that he was proud to hear that I was a hard worker and I was doing really good. I also heard him tell me that he loved me for the first time in my life. Was a man of few words, but when he spoke, people listened. He always expected great things of everybody.. and funny how I never misbehaved when with him because of that. I never wanted to see what would happen if I did. I'll never forget the respect he had with everyone I've seen him interact with. It was like watching Superman command the armies of the Justice League.

When it's my time to go home.. he'll be one of the first people I will seek out, just to tell him the man he helped me to become.

Gramps, to say you are a hero of mine is a GROSS understatement.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
4PackGirl
13 years ago
sounds like a great guy that you were fortunate to have in your life.
sorry for your loss.
Cheesey
13 years ago
Like you said Jeremy, words just don't seem enough at a time like this. But KNOW that i know how you feel. The great thing is, you got to hear him say he loved you. That will help you through the tougher times.
That's also a good lesson for those that maybe don't say those 3 special words enough to their loved ones. We never know when it will be our turn to go. Don't wait to say it, as you don't know if when it IS your time, that will will get the chance to do so.
My Dad taught me a special lesson when i was just a little boy. He said "Always tell those that you love that you love them. You never know when it will be the last chance you get to do so." He died when i was 16, and i told him i loved him every day. He also told me he loved me. He died of a massive heart attack while in the hospital. Even though i told him i loved him as we left the night before he passed......what i wouldn't give to be able to tell him one more time.
UserPostedImage
Formo
  • Formo
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
13 years ago
Well, today was the funeral / burial. I had the distinct honor of being a pallbearer. What I was unaware of.. that this was going to be a military-esque funeral. The chapel service was like every other service, with the exception of a flag draped over the casket. That was hard enough.

Then came the gravesite memorial.. along with the waterworks. Had the gun salute, taps being played (which fired up the waterworks something fierce) and and the flag being folded up and presented to my uncle (which ensured more waterworks).

I was thanked many times for being a pallbearer.. weird, because I couldn't imagine a higher honor, not just for a veteran of this country but for a personal hero.

Gramps was never one to wear 'bland' colors. He liked colors.. often he was seen wearing a light green shirt with an orange tie. In his honor I wore a gray suit, a light blue shirt with a red and blue striped tie. I could hear him giving me compliments on the colors.

One of the hardest things I had to do, but definitely one of the highest honors.
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
Cheesey
13 years ago
Can't blame you at all for the "water works".
I would have cried too.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.