Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago

Bob McGinn | On the Packers
Packers by Position: Offensive line 

UserPostedImage
Bryan Bulaga (left) and Allen Barbre could be among the contenders for the left guard position on the Packers' offensive line.

Packers coaches confident unit can improve
Posted: July 27, 2010 |(108) COMMENTS

Green Bay Almost anything could happen when it comes to the Green Bay Packers' offensive line this season.

Maybe everything will go according to Hoyle. Several of Ted Thompson's six veteran draft choices at the position will play better than they ever have before, old pros Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher will hold up beautifully and top pick Bryan Bulaga will make a seamless entry into the National Football League.

James Campen, who enters his fourth season as the position coach, said in late June that he expected the unit to be really good in 2010.

"We have a lot of depth," said Campen. "The fact we'll have two or three players in one position, that's always an advantage, not having to rotate guys around or cross over the ball from right to left."

On paper, the Packers do seem deep. Of the 14 players in camp, only one figures to have no chance to stick. Mike McCarthy has kept nine linemen to open his first four seasons, and if things break well, the Packers might tap the surplus by acquiring a future draft choice or two via trade.

"That's a good problem to have," Campen said.

A year ago, the line was responsible for 30 1/2 sacks, its highest total since 1996 when the unit yielded 33 en route to winning the Super Bowl. The group also had 32 penalties, its most since the 4-12 season of 2005.

The unit probably blocked better for the run than the pass, which was evident by the No. 14 rank in rushing (117.8 yards), the team's most productive in five years. The average per carry of 4.30 ranked 13th.

McCarthy brought back every lineman that played a snap and his entire offensive coaching staff, but then made it crystal clear that he doesn't intend to go through 56 sacks again. In late March, he proclaimed, "I think as I sit here today, we'll be much better in that area."

Joe Philbin, Campen's predecessor as line coach and the offensive coordinator since '07, was asked if strength in numbers would make for better play this season.

"We'll find out in camp," said Philbin. "We'll see how good they are."

Now here's a doomsday scenario.

Clifton and Tauscher get old in a hurry, and when they are able to line up their level of play dips dramatically. Bulaga struggles at left tackle. T.J. Lang's post-surgical wrist takes a long, long time to heal. Breno Giacomini isn't the answer.

No one emerges at left guard. Daryn Colledge proves that he shouldn't even have been brought back. Jason Spitz really is a center. Allen Barbre fails again. Marshall Newhouse can't anchor inside. Lang isn't able to punch and grab. Bulaga finally is moved inside in October, but by then it's too late.

After having seen a virtual all-star team assembled at the skill positions, just imagine the heat that will scald anyone and everyone associated with the line if it all goes bad.

"No," Campen replied after being asked if his butt and that of Jerry Fontenot, his assistant since '07, was on the line this season. "I mean, how do you answer that question?

"When you look at things we have accomplished, we've scored a lot of points and we've moved the ball. Has it been exactly clean, the way it's supposed to be? No. But every year, your butt goes in there on the line, player or coach. You have to perform."

Four jobs appear set: Clifton at left tackle, Scott Wells at center, Josh Sitton at right guard and Tauscher at right tackle.

That leaves left guard, where it seems possible that one of three players - Colledge, Spitz and Barbre - could start or could be cut. If healthy, Lang might be a contender. So could Bulaga, if the organization hasn't pigeon-holed itself into developing him as the left tackle of the future.

Coming off a terrible season in which he didn't play with strength, athleticism or savvy, Colledge is back on a $1.759 million tender. The Packers undoubtedly considered running him off, but in the end likely decided they had nobody better to replace him.

"I wouldn't single him out as he's the one guy that needs to perform better," said Philbin. "Daryn Colledge has played a lot of football. Daryn's a bright guy and he knows it's a competitive situation."

It would appear as though the Packers regard Spitz more highly as a center, and if something were to happen to Wells it probably would be Spitz over Evan Dietrich-Smith as the next man in. Whether the Packers still would want a starting guard with Spitz's modest size and athletic ability remains to be seen.

Lang might get a long look at left guard; McCarthy says it's his natural position. But that would require increased strength, and with the wrist in a cast his body-building efforts have been curtailed to an extent.

The tentative plan, according to Campen, was to have Lang compete at right tackle with Tauscher and Giacomini.

After flopping as the starting right tackle in 2009, Barbre now is back at left guard, where he was beaten out by Colledge in 2008. This looks like his last chance.

"He's seeing things now at guard," Campen said. "His awareness is better. Very impressed with him."

Sitton, a fourth-round pick in '08, is on the verge of establishing himself as a solid starter. He has dropped about 10 pounds, which should enhance his pass blocking and quickness.

"I don't think two words were said about him all spring because the guy's doing things right," said Philbin. "He has a chance to be very good."

Bulaga was at left tackle exclusively in May and June and the coaches say there are no plans to move him. Some scouts doubt he has the arm length or feet to play left tackle, but the Packers all but accept the fact Clifton won't survive 16 games and shudder at the memory of Colledge trying to fill in.

"We like his ability to bend and keep his feet in the ground," Philbin said, referring to Bulaga. "He's not a high stepper. He doesn't let his body weight rock from side to side."

In March, Thompson guaranteed $10.23 million in new contracts for Clifton and Tauscher, both of whom enter their 11th seasons. Neither played all that well last season, but the Packers went 7-1 in the second half, ranked third in points and gained 493 yards in the playoff loss.

"(Clifton) needs to be more consistent, needs to eliminate some of those penalties," said Philbin. "(Tauscher) looks about the same to me. Ted did give him some money to come back, right? I would hope those guys can still play."

Giacomini has offered (one snap) and shown next to nothing in two seasons, but the Packers aren't close to giving up on him. He has prototypical height and arm length for right tackle, but until he starts bending better and playing with some confidence it's all a hope and a prayer.

"I'll say this - he looks the best he's ever looked since he's been here," Philbin said. "That I believe, I really do. Now what that means, in no pads, is hard to project. But he is moving faster and being more decisive on the field."

A disappointed backup last summer, Wells' fortunes changed in October when Spitz needed season-ending back surgery and Wells got his old job back. Wells and Sitton were the unit's top dogs.

"He was very solid," said Philbin. "Maybe (scouts) just look at his height and weight and don't watch the tape. Pretty good second-level blocker. Got some quickness and some smarts. He has played pretty well for us since he's been here."

Newhouse was a three-year starter at left tackle for Texas Christian but didn't show left-tackle agility in the spring and will work more at guard. He will be compared daily to free agent Nick McDonald, a broad-shouldered, brawling rookie with a bright future.

Is it just me, or does Philbin seem incapable of ever giving an actual endorsement of a player?
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
I like Philbin
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I have no problem with him personally, I'd just like to occasionally hear something a little more forthright and a little less evasive. Just once I'd like to hear a Packers coach say, "Wow, this guy is awesome. We really like him." Instead of, "Well, he's pretty good. He has a chance."

But I suppose that's impossible in today's current climate. The era of politically correct wishy-washiness is slowly waning. Hopefully the winds of change will sweep into the NFL too. I'd like to see a tough, mean attitude return to the league. The way everyone talks nowadays, they sound like they're afraid of a wrongful termination lawsuit.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
13 years ago

I have no problem with him personally, I'd just like to occasionally hear something a little more forthright and a little less evasive. Just once I'd like to hear a Packers coach say, "Wow, this guy is awesome. We really like him." Instead of, "Well, he's pretty good. He has a chance."

But I suppose that's impossible in today's current climate. The era of politically correct wishy-washiness is slowly waning. Hopefully the winds of change will sweep into the NFL too. I'd like to see a tough, mean attitude return to the league. The way everyone talks nowadays, they sound like they're afraid of a wrongful termination lawsuit.

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Well, look at who he's talking about.

Given their performance to date, who really has shown even the potential that they would be "awesome".

The only ones I can think of are Sitton and, maybe, Lang (if he wasn't rehabbing). Or, perhaps Bulaga since first rounders are, for some, supposed to define "awesome potential".

I realize almost no one here shares my skepticism about the OL. Heck, even Foster seems to have become a great optimist. But with the exception of Sitton and maybe Lang/Bulaga, who on this line inspires anyone with dreams of "awesomeness"?

This line may prove to be good in 2010. Maybe even really good.

But awesome?

Rodgers is awesome. Woodson is awesome.

But the OL roster members?

Seriously?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Philbin is the offensive coordinator, not the line coach, is he not?I was speaking in generalities, not about the offensive line specifically. I've never seen him give an unqualified endorsement of any player. The best he seems capable of saying is, "Yeah, we like him" or "He's doing pretty well."

But the opposite applies as well. I'd like to hear a coach come out and say a player sucks sometime. Just be forthright for once.

Basically, as a fan, I'd like to have a realistic idea of what chance a player has of actually making the squad.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago
If a coach always says something good, he's blasted for being a kiss ass.
If a coach always says something not good, that's not good either.

I'm telling you, I would NOT want to be a Coach, or GM for that matter. Too many opportunities for people to constantly bash you and cut your testicles off.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Kevin, I'm criticizing him for uttering meaningless platitudes. From the things he says, it's impossible to know what the situation is -- whether it's good or bad. Have I praises Ted Thompson in the past for playing his cards close to the vest? Yes. Am I being inconsistent by complaining about Philbin for doing the same thing? Absolutely. In Thompson's case, his evasiveness strikes me as strategic. In Philbin's case, it strikes me as more indecisive. Obviously, that's a purely subjective evaluation.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
13 years ago
How can we know if it's good or bad yet. Have they started hitting each other in pads full speed? Any evaluation right now other than they can pick up their assignment on a given play is worthless. Now once there is real action where we can actually see results and then compare, then I'd like more information in coach reports.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
Excellent point, Tezzy. I stand corrected. Though my underlying premise remains. (I didn't put a specific time goal on my expressed wish -- just said I wish it would happen sometime.) 😉
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
13 years ago
You are completely right though, I don't believe that rhetoric will change in the future at all even during the season, and does get frustrating. Living in Chicago I have to listen to Lovie Smith conferences everyday. OMG, talk about talking without ever saying anything definitive. I like to believe I'm smart enough to listen to a coach talk about real football and actually know what they are talking about. But there are few coaches that provide us anything good like that.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.