wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member Topic Starter
13 years ago

Packers by position: Offensive line 

Once again this April, the Press-Gazette will provide a pre-draft breakdown of the Packers roster at each position by beat writer Rob Demovsky. This will lead up to the start of Pete Doughertys annual position-by-position draft series on April 21.

Offensive line

What they have

Tackles: Chad Clifton, Bryan Bulaga, Mark Tauscher, Chris Campbell

Guards: Daryn Colledge*, Josh Sitton, Adrian Battles

Centers: Scott Wells

Guards/Tackles: T.J. Lang, Marshall Newhouse

Guard/centers: Jason Spitz*, Nick McDonald, Evan Dietrich-Smith

* Could be an unrestricted free agent depending on a new CBA

Position analysis

The Packers believe Chad Clifton will hold up for another year. In fact, coach Mike McCarthy said at last months NFL annual meetings that Clifton played the best six-game stretch I think Ive ever seen him play, even in the run blocking, which sometimes hasnt been his strength. He was talking about the final two regular-season games plus the playoffs/Super Bowl. When asked if that meant Bryan Bulaga, who started the last 12 regular-season games and all of the postseason as a rookie, would remain at right tackle, McCarthy said: Definitely. Im counting on Chad (at left tackle). That would also seem to indicate that the Packers arent going to move Bulaga to left guard, assuming Daryn Colledge becomes an unrestricted free agent under the terms of the new CBA and moves on. Spitz, who has been injury prone, probably would do the same.

That leaves left guard as the only open starting spot. T.J. Lang could get a shot there, although there are some in the organization who believe hes a better tackle prospect than a guard. Nick McDonald, the undrafted free agent, didnt play a down all last season, so it would be a huge leap to the starting lineup, but they like his tenacity and his upside. Marshall Newhouse might be more of a tackle than a guard and would need to take a huge leap to be a starter. Both McDonald and Newhouse badly needed time in the offseason program, which theyre not getting because of the lockout.

Wells and Sitton graded out as the top-two Packers linemen last season and, barring injuries, will be back at center and right guard, respectively.

The future

Even though Clifton will return for another season, theres no telling how much longer the 34-year-old can hold up. So the Packers are going to have to start planning for his replacement. Even if that means moving Bulaga to the left side, theyll still need another tackle. Tauscher, whose shoulder injury ended his 2010 season and possibly his career, almost certainly wont be back.

Guard, too, is a position of need because, again, theres no clear-cut starter if Colledge doesnt return. If Baylor guard Danny Watkins is on the board when the Packers pick at No. 32, he could be a Ted Thompson pick.

UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago
I like Watkins, but his age scares me. He'll turn 27 this season. If he signs a 5 year deal, he'll be 32 when it ends. He doesn't really seem like a Ted pick, but maybe his ability to immediately start makes up for his older age. For comparison, Bulaga is 22.

I'd still like to see a tackle that could also play guard. That way, we'd have an immediate starter at LG and an eventual player we could move to RT once Bulaga moves to the left side once Clifton retires.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago

I like Watkins, but his age scares me. He'll turn 27 this season. If he signs a 5 year deal, he'll be 32 when it ends. He doesn't really seem like a Ted pick, but maybe his ability to immediately start makes up for his older age. For comparison, Bulaga is 22.

I'd still like to see a tackle that could also play guard. That way, we'd have an immediate starter at LG and an eventual player we could move to RT once Bulaga moves to the left side once Clifton retires.

"millertime" wrote:

That works but I wouldn't mind it if Uncle Ted drafts an OT who REALLY plays OT in a big way. Put him in and leave him there for 10 years.
UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago

"wpr" wrote:

That works but I wouldn't mind it if Uncle Ted drafts an OT who REALLY plays OT in a big way. Put him in and leave him there for 10 years.

"millertime" wrote:

Not sure who might be there late in the first like that, maybe Sherrod or Solder. Guys like Carimi, Costanzo, and Ijalana can play OG or OT. I feel like Ted likes to have o-linemen that can play multiple positions along the line (see Colledge, Moll, Spitz, Bulaga, Lang, etc). That's why I'm so high on Costanzo and Carimi and believe they are worth the cost of trading up. My number one priority is protecting A-Rod's noggin for the rest of his career.
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
Tauscher was picked up in the 7th round. I realize not all 7th rounders are going to be 10 year or more starters. And there are certainly more players from the later rounders who fail to make a team than those who do and even less who become starters. But it is possible to pick up someone who is worthy to step in to the OL down the line. I wish GB's record for selecting OL men was a little better.
With that said I would not mind it if they did move up in the 1st round, IF the price is not too high.
UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
13 years ago
Packers draft needs by position: Offensive Line By Tom Silverstein  

This is the fifth in a position-by-position series evaluating the Green Bay Packers needs entering the 2011 draft.

OFFENSIVE LINE

Need level: Moderately high

On the roster:
T Chad Clifton, C Scott Wells, G Josh Sitton, T Bryan Bulaga, T/G T.J. Lang, C/G Nick McDonald, G/T Marshall Newhouse, T Mark Tauscher, C/G Evan Dietrich-Smith, T Chris Campbell and G Adrian Battles.

Free agents:
C/G Jason Spitz, G Daryn Colledge

Outlook:
After a couple of rough seasons, the offensive line came together and provided QB Aaron Rodgers and the running game with enough support to be successful. But theres no question there are soft spots that could cause big trouble this year and beyond. Clifton hung in well in his 11th season, but he turns 35 in June and could suffer a steep decline soon. The coaches arent sure yet whether Newhouse is better at left tackle or left guard, but they like his quick feet and intelligence. Bulaga is an option at left tackle after playing on the right side his rookie year. There is no pre-determined successor to Clifton. At left guard, expect Colledge to leave for big bucks and Spitz for a center job. That leaves a serious hole at the guard position, which could get worse the following year if Sitton leaves in free agency. Lang slipped in his second season, partly because he lost his off-season to wrist surgery. He was the seventh lineman and the top backup at tackle, but guard is going to be his spot. McDonald will someday replace Wells and could very well play some guard, but he might be a year away still. Tauscher has probably played his last snaps for the Packers and maybe for anybody else. The others will be given a chance to compete for back-up spots in camp.

Eye-opening stat:
GM Ted Thompson has taken at least two linemen in five of his six drafts (2007) and has waited no longer than the fourth round to select a lineman in all but his very first draft.

Whats available:
Its a very good year for offensive linemen and Thompson could find himself using his first-round pick on one for the second year in a row. The three who have a shot at being available with the 32nd are Wisconsin tackle Gabe Carimi, Mississippi State tackle Derek Sherod and Baylor guard/tackle Danny Watkins. Carimi likely will be gone, Sherod needs seasoning and Watkins still needs to find a spot on the line. Still, Watkins, who attended the same junior college as Rodgers, would be more Sitton than Colledge, and with a full training camp could play right away. Thompson has leaned more toward linemen who play in big-time college programs or for pro-style offenses, so players like Florida State guard Rodney Hudson, Indiana tackle James Brewer and Wisconsin guard John Moffitt probably will be tracked through the first three or four rounds. Later in the draft, Arkansas' Willie Smith, a former tight end, and Pittsburghs Jason Pinkston might appeal to Thompson as tackle prospects.

Bottom line:
Theres no question Thompsons going to address this position. Its just a matter of where and how early. You could argue that he needs a tackle or guard more than any other position on the team and given the offensive line depth in this draft, hes likely to address his need on the first or second day. Its not a position to mess with when you have someone as important as Rodgers in the backfield. Too many times, Rodgers had to scramble out of pressure and the odds of him staying healthy are a lot better if he can spend more time in the pocket.

UserPostedImage
millertime
13 years ago
Rodney Hudson is an interesting prospect. He arguably was the top interior linemen in college football for the past couple seasons. He is slightly undersized, which is a big concern for me, but I really think he could be one of those rare players that is so skilled that his size is not a big factor. He played at FSU and faced pretty solid defensive linemen his whole college career. He also has outstanding character, leadership, and work ethic.

Pick 32 seems high for him, but if he was available at 64, I think we'd be very happy with him in GB. I know I've beat this drum before, but I would love to grab another o-linemen in the first 2 rounds. Keeping Rodgers safe should be priority number one.
Fan Shout
beast (2h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (4h) : damn those vikings
beast (4h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (4h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (4h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (4h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (4h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (11h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (12h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (12h) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
10m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

15m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

16m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

32m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

50m / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

51m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.