Zero2Cool
13 years ago
Web Page Name 

Green Bay Breno Giacomini just might stay around for a while longer.

Thought to have at least one foot out the door after two unproductive seasons (one game played on special teams), Giacomini got a boost of confidence from his coach Wednesday.

"He's obviously here for a reason," Mike McCarthy said. "If you look at the path of offensive linemen, especially someone making the transition from tight end to offensive tackle, it does take some time.

"He's going to compete for that right tackle position."

Even Giacomini, a fifth-round pick in 2008, wasn't ready to say he'll be going toe to toe with veteran Mark Tauscher for the starting spot.

"You know what, that's a tough question to answer," Giacomini said. "Tausch has been here 11 years. What I think is going on is they're just trying to get me better. Tausch is a great player, and I'm just going to try to follow his steps so I'm just going to keep getting better every day."

But that McCarthy said Giacomini was on the team for a reason certainly meant something, because at times that was in question.

After only playing one full college season at tackle, Giacomini was active for just two games as a rookie. Off-season ankle surgery kept him out until training camp in '09, and he was only active for one game.

Even with all the struggles the Packers had at right tackle, the Packers apparently didn't have enough confidence in Giacomini to even let him be a backup for more than one game.

"I never thought (the Packers didn't believe in me), I just came to work every day and tried to get better and if my name was called, my name was called," Giacomini said. "But it didn't happen that way, so I just came and tried to get the defense better on the scout look. I don't have a problem with that at all."

Giacomini, who got a few first-team reps in place of Tauscher on Wednesday, does think he's made enough strides to contribute this season even with T.J. Lang and Marshall Newhouse also able to play right tackle.

"I feel like I've gained a lot more muscle memory being a tackle, and I feel like I'm playing lower this year," Giacomini said. "I just feel better as a whole tackle."

Said McCarthy: "He had some untimely injuries in the past, but he's doing very well. He's a very powerful man. I think his foot speed has definitely increased. You can see that in the drill work."

Giacomini certainly has fire. He showed that by slugging linebacker Brad Jones after a play and knocking his helmet to the ground.

"We were just being physical, and sometimes that happens, you know what I mean?" Giacomini said. "I kind of like Brad, so it was nothing against him."

Havner anxious to return: Spencer Havner is close to returning to the field after suffering a broken scapula in an off-season motorcycle accident that led to the tight end being arrested on the suspicion of DUI.

"Yeah, I wished it didn't happen, but it's something I have to go through and everything is getting back to normal," Havner said. "It's not part of who I am and my character, and I've never been involved in anything like that in the past and will try my hardest not to in the future. And of course, I don't want to risk something this special, and I realize that's what happened."

Havner, who has not been charged, said he isn't worried about his place on the team after the Packers drafted Andrew Quarless, a fourth tight end.

"I'm just concentrating on getting back when I'm on the field, and I think what I bring to the team will speak for itself," said Havner, who tied for fourth on the team last season with four touchdowns on his 10 receptions. "I feel great. I feel near 100%, ready to go. I'd definitely like to move on. I just need to get back to it."

Going slow:Donald Driver and Ryan Pickett joined the list of players watching practice, but both insisted it was just for rest and they will be back soon.

Cullen Jenkins switched to left end and Jarius Wynn was on the right side with Pickett out. Patrick Williams got a lot more playing time in place of Driver.

End Justin Harrell also sat out as the Packers bring him back slowly from back woes.

Linebacker Nick Barnett (knee), cornerbacks Charles Woodson (absent), Al Harris (knee) and Will Blackmon (knee), safety Derrick Martin (ankle), guard Jason Spitz (back) and Lang (wrist) continued to be out.

Rookie running back James Starks missed his second straight practice after tweaking his hamstring May 20.

"It's getting a lot better, so I'll probably be practicing tomorrow," Starks said.

Short yardage: Rookie safety Morgan Burnett had an impressive practice with an interception and nearly about three more. "Been very impressed with Morgan," McCarthy said. "He's done a very good job, particularly communicating for a young safety." . . .

McCarthy said the team signed quarterback Graham Harrell and released Chris Pizzotti because the Packers think Harrell "is someone who has a chance to be a quarterback in the National Football League. . . . We really felt Graham came in and had a heck of a workout. I was impressed with his velocity. That's something that was probably a little in question coming out of college in my opinion." . . .

Former Packers center Mike Flanagan has joined the team as a coaching intern.

UserPostedImage
PackerTraxx
13 years ago
Good to be able to read some Packer news. But on some of these players I believe the writers write early because they have a feeling they won't be around to write about later?LOL
Why is Jerry Kramer not in the Hall of Fame?
bozz_2006
13 years ago
Coolest part is that Flannel's back in the organization. Didn't Kevin Greene spend a few years as a coaching intern before getting hired on in Green Bay?
UserPostedImage
Buck
13 years ago
I like the idea of Flanagan helping the O line. It sure can't hurt !
yyyyeeeeeeeeeeepppppppp!
Nonstopdrivel
13 years ago
I can never tell what it means when these coaches talk up a player: Are they really optimistic about their having a chance to make the squad, or are they merely fattening them up for market?
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
13 years ago
What intrigues me most is that Starks is injured.

Frankly, we've got the #3 RB slot open. Right now, I'd venture a guess it's going to be a battle between Starks and Lumpkin.

However, Starks being injured (albeit if he was going to be injured then OTAs are less concerning than being injured during Training Camp) I'm really wondering whether our #3 RB is currently even on the roster.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Since69
13 years ago
I still think Breno's gonna be a good one. I just like his attitude. Always have.

He strikes me as a gamer. A guy who's really going to shine if and when he sees some serious playing time.
UserPostedImage
13 years ago
Is it too early to get excited about Burnett?
UserPostedImage
tonyagnese
13 years ago

Is it too early to get excited about Burnett?

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

Not at all...it's never too early to get excited about the Packers. I think it's particularly intriguing that McCarthy pointed out his communication as a strength. That's something we lacked last year from the safety position.
blank
LambeauEast
13 years ago
It would be nice to see Giacomin contribute. Season three seems like a good time for things to start coming together.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (4h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (4h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (19h) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (20h) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (21h) : For now...
Zero2Cool (22h) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
29m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

30m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.