coltonja
13 years ago
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Big-Five-Gets-Swain-Involved/7f60b5bc-e1d9-4ab7-97b5-0b3aa195b64b 

'Big Five' Gets Swain Involved

Brett Swains 31-yard catch-and-run on a slant pass last Sunday in Atlanta was the biggest play of the receivers young career, and it was a long time in the making.

At first glance, it would seem to require a lot of faith for quarterback Aaron Rodgers to make eye contact with Swain at the line of scrimmage, check to the slant route, and then whip it out there from the shotgun, counting on a 25-year-old with all of two NFL receptions to his name at that point to be in the right spot and make the play.

But Swain didnt become a reliable fifth receiver, and develop that kind of rapport with a Pro Bowl quarterback, overnight.

Drafted in the seventh round in 2008, Swain didnt make the team as a rookie and spent that season on the practice squad. The following spring, dedicating himself to his first offseason program as a professional, Swain got stronger and polished his fundamentals, and he made the team as a fifth receiver in 2009 due in large part to his ability to contribute on special teams.

A torn ACL in his knee in Week 7 last year ended his season prematurely, but he attacked his rehabilitation with a drive similar to that from the previous offseason program, and he made the team again this year as the No. 5 receiver amidst stiff competition from a number of young prospects.

Hes really a tireless worker when it comes to preparing himself, receivers coach Jimmy Robinson said. A year ago when he was healthy getting ready for his second year, he had a great offseason in terms of getting stronger in the weight room. He came back with an awful lot of confidence and it showed up.

I just think he had the determination to get back to where he was.

All along, Swain slowly but surely has earned the confidence of those around him. Hes had three training camps to catch passes from Rodgers, always being one of the first guys to step in for a rep if one of the top four receivers is taking a break.

He reprised his special-teams role again this season, and he finally recorded that long-awaited first NFL reception in Week 8 against the Jets. With Donald Driver sidelined by a quadriceps injury, Swain snagged a 12-yard pass from Rodgers late in the second quarter.

He added his second career catch the next week against the Cowboys. Then at Minnesota following the bye, he was in position for a couple of potentially big plays.

He was open on a couple routes against Minnesota when he was in the game, Robinson said. He ran a couple really nice routes. Didnt get the ball, but he was open.

Those plays, which the offense viewed in the film room, made it no surprise to Swain that Rodgers called his number on the Packers first play of the second quarter in Atlanta. With the offense in its Big Five formation with all five receivers split wide, Rodgers got the ball out to his right in a hurry. Swain not only made the catch, he swiftly split two defenders converging to make the tackle and took off up the right sideline.

He knows that I know that Im on the same page with him, Swain said of Rodgers. When he looks over there and gives a check, hes confident in knowing were going to do the right thing out there. The more repetitions you can take with a quarterback and getting on the same page just makes everything more comfortable.

Swain gained 31 yards on the play, and the offense benefited from 15 more when Atlanta safety William Moore hit Swain late out of bounds.

Its one thing to make a catch, thats obviously job No. 1, offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. But then when you can make somebody miss and you can turn it into something bigger, thats something real good. I liked what he did.

Swain added a 9-yard catch on the first snap of the third quarter, again out of the Big Five formation, increasing his season totals to four receptions for 54 yards. The Packers went five-wide more against the Falcons than at any time this season, and even though thats no guarantee of more work to come for Swain the primary sets in the game plan will change depending on the opponent, week to week making an impact like he did has him all the more ready if additional opportunities come his way.

Confidence level is definitely a big factor, especially coming to the NFL from college, Swain said. You have to gain that confidence that once you step on the field youre going to be solid in catching the ball and turning it upfield. Definitely getting that first catch out of the way is an ice breaker, and confidence comes as you play more.

Swain continues to be a regular contributor on special teams, with five coverage tackles this season, one more than in his abbreviated 2009 campaign. But like any player who makes his way onto a roster via special teams, hes always competing for more snaps from scrimmage.

As Swain knows, thats tough duty in Green Bay with a receiving corps featuring Driver, Greg Jennings, James Jones and Jordy Nelson. But hes been up against that ever since his arrival, and all the while he has learned the offense as best he can and waited for a chance to capitalize on.

After Sunday, perhaps additional chances are forthcoming.

Bretts a smart, efficient football player, Robinson said. He runs routes well, he has good hands, and he understands what were doing. You dont see him in a lot of different spots, but he can play all of them. He can play inside, he can play outside.

Im sure he was happy to have a couple come his way, and it was good to see him catch that thing and see him be explosive after the catch, burst through there and turn it into a big play. Im sure hes hungry for even more of those.

I couldn't believe that catch and run Swain had this week. I really don't know a lot about him, so it's cool for me to see a no-name guy make a great play. Any thoughts on this guy's future?
UserPostedImage
Thanks to pack93z for the sig!!!
Greg C.
13 years ago
He's got good speed, and he just seems like a football player to me. He looked great in that final preseason game at Kansas City. Also, he made a huge play in the season opener against the Bears last year, snuffing out a fake punt. Too bad he got hurt a few weeks later, ending his season.

At this point, it's hard to see Swain as anything more than a good #4 receiver, but he is one of those scrappy guys, like Donald Driver, who could gradually rise up the depth chart.
blank
RajiRoar
13 years ago
until he gets a friggin haircut I will continue to bang the Ruvell Martin drum.

why'd we cut him anyway?

SEA refuses to give him snaps :ramboface:

MintBaconDrivel
Dec, 11, 2012 - FOREVER!
Dulak
13 years ago
ya I enjoyed seeing him hawl that pass in and run for some yards after
Yerko
13 years ago
I can like the play this guy comes in and gives. Of course he is going to give his 100% every time he is on the field because he is not in the majority of the game.

He is another player benefiting from injuries (Finley would be the key slot receiver in this Big 5) and I am glad he can do so.

Great special teams player, can make a big play such as last Sunday...there is nothing to dislike about the guy.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
Guys like Swain are reasons I like Ted's build-from-the-draft approach. You tend to get a lot more "Rudys" on the team like him.

You really want to pull for him, and I felt awful for him when he thought he re-injured his knee at the fan scrimmage this year. Fortunately nothing severe, and that was a great move on the 31 yarder vs. Atl.

One of many 'warm fuzzy' stories on the team this year!
zombieslayer
13 years ago
Well, after seeing him in highlights, I understand why Mike McCarthy doesn't want to let him go. We've held on to him for 2 years now.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Greg C.
13 years ago

until he gets a friggin haircut I will continue to bang the Ruvell Martin drum.

why'd we cut him anyway?

SEA refuses to give him snaps :ramboface:

"RajiRoar" wrote:

I liked the Rooster too, but he was slow and after flashing briefly for part of one season, he pretty much disappeared. Also, he had no upside.
blank
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (9h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (13h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (14h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (16h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (16h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (17h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.