Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Yeah, I'm torn on whether to start Bulaga at LG, or just lets him sit behind Clifton for a year. I fully believe in putting our 5 best o-linemen on the field, because when you have a top 3 (Yeah, I said it!) QB, you must do everything you can to protect him. I really don't think putting Bulaga at LG will stunt his growth at LT.

LT: Clifton
LG: Bulaga
OC: Spitz
RG: Sitton
RT: Lang

I tihnk those will be our 5 best linemen next season, with it being close between Lang and Tauscher. Bulaga is also extremely likely to get some snaps at LT with Clifton's injury history.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

It may not stunt his growth but it could certainly stunt his ability to move to LT and play well immediately should Clifton go down.

"millertime" wrote:

I think the Packers did more damage to Colledge than he did by having him play LG instead of LT (in a backup roll). They wanted to get the best five OL on the field, but by doing so, they (in my view) damaged his growth as a future LT.

In other words, I'm saying, Bulaga is a Tackle, put him at Tackle only.
UserPostedImage
British
14 years ago

The Chiefs went with Eric Berry.

The Bills went with CJ Spiller.

The Steelers went with Maurkice Pouncey.

That pretty much opened the door for one OT to drop.

Next to that, Bulaga made leaps in mock drafts. And for what reason, really? Most people went on rumors that the Chiefs where interested in him, which propelled him upwards. Fact is, he's a good OT, but one that looks like he'll have a relatively low ceiling. You want a gamechanger in the first 20 picks of the draft. I don't think that Bulaga will ever do that.

"Rockmolder" wrote:

I think the key might have been the Raiders going Linebacker.

They need an OT and if they had take Davis, San Fran may have chosen Bulaga.

As for playing him at LG Ted Thompson has already said he's going to played at Tackle. We already have three LGs on the roster.

Considering Clifton takes a number of snaps off in training every week to save his knees Bulaga will have a full time job backing him up.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
14 years ago
Now I'm gonna pay Bulaga.

None of that Crabdouche-induced fuck with MY slot bullshit from last year.

5 years.

15.864 million

8.97 million guaranteed

1.081 million roster bonus

5.405 million option bonus next year.

Done. Draw up the paperwork this afternoon, he can watch the rest of the draft in our war room as a Green Bay Packer.

:thumbright:
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

Now I'm gonna pay Bulaga.

None of that Crabdouche-induced fuck with MY slot bullshit from last year.

5 years.

15.864 million

8.97 million guaranteed

1.081 million roster bonus

5.405 million option bonus next year.

Done. Draw up the paperwork this afternoon, he can watch the rest of the draft in our war room as a Green Bay Packer.

:thumbright:

"dfosterf" wrote:

Just make sure you sign him before Jerry Jones/Dez Bryant make a deal.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Kevin,
Regarding your argument:

1. Bulaga is a better player than Colledge, period.
2. Colledge is barely servicable IMO at OG. He might have had a bit more if groomed for LT, but my gut (which everyone knows is substantial) tells me he offers less than Mike Wahle did.
3. Bulaga is probably starter quality at OG right now. Colledge wasn't when he was first moved over. (And probably isn't now, unless you are content with servicable.)
4. Colledge had to be moved over because there were no serious options better than Colledge. Bulaga gets moved over because he's better than Colledge.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago
Oh yes, and I forgot #5:

5. I'd rather risk having Clifton go down for one or more games and have Bulaga with fewer reps at LT than go potentially most of the season with Colledge/Spitz at LG and Bulaga on the bench.
Pack93z
14 years ago
Worth the read.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/91922859.html 

"I slept great last night because I knew I was part of an organization that wanted me," Bulaga said. "You know what I mean? I woke up this morning with a sense of belonging. During the whole draft period, you don't belong to anybody. When you wake up a part of an organization, that's a great feeling - especially when it is an organization like Green Bay. There's not a better place to be.

"I was thrilled. Green Bay is only about three hours away from my hometown and my mom is very happy about that. It's good to be close, but it is also good to be a part of an organization that is doing good things right now."

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
Black Heart Gold Pants (Hawkeyes website) 

So You've Drafted Bryan Bulaga: A New Owner's Guide
by Adam Jacobi

Congratulations! You've just made the wonderful decision to draft Bryan Bulaga! Like most new Bulaga owners, you're no doubt filled with questions about your new family members. We here at Black Heart Gold Pants will try our best to answer any questions you might have.

Will Bryan Bulaga play well with others? Bulaga came from the University of Iowa, which places a high value on offensive line discipline. As such, here's what one scout told Football Outsiders:

Their line is so fundamentally sound and perfectly coached that each player makes life easier for the others, making everybody look a little too good. Bryan Bulaga looks great on tape, but I remember saying some wonderful things about Robert Gallery a few years ago.

All of which is to say, it would probably be very beneficial for Bulaga to be placed in a stable, talented offensive line, rather than expecting his presence to fix a chaotic mess of holding and sacks. For this reason, we strongly recommend that Oakland pass on Bulaga. They tried it with Robert Gallery, and Gallery's just now putting the pieces of his career back together.

Is Bryan Bulaga housebroken? As a matter of fact, yes! Not all offensive linemen are able to get through school without soiling your metaphorical carpet, but Bulaga was never arrested or cited during his time in Iowa City, and he has no evident character issues that might ward off a potential owner.

You should not put Bulaga in a kennel at night, because he is a human.

What is Bryan Bulaga's expected lifespan? Fortunately, you can look forward to many years of enjoying your new Bulaga. The lineman only turned 21 a month ago, meaning a decade-long career would only put him at 30 by the season's end. Bulaga was waylaid by a thyroid disease over the course of this season, but he began returning to his previous levels of dominance by the end of the year. He has since received a clean bill of health from the Mayo Clinic. He has papers.

Enough about all this; let's talk fun stuff! What does Bulaga enjoy doing?
As you can see, sometimes Bulaga likes going to public places and smiling, but if he's in his football uniform, he won't smile! But what he enjoys doing the most is playing football, and on that note he enjoys run blocking the most. Bulaga's greatest strength is getting to the second level on run plays and erasing unsuspecting linebackers or sealing a corner for his ball-carrying friend. He doesn't consider a block "finished" until the defender is dead. We've attached a visual aid to illustrate this fact.

Please note: your experience may vary slightly, as nobody in the NFL is even half as terrible at football as Prince Kwateng.

Is there anything that Bulaga is not good at? Mmm... nope.

Oh come on. No, he's pretty much perfect and exactly what you need.

Well then why isn't he going number one overall?
Why isn't he even going to be the first tackle taken overall? Okay, look. Bulaga is not a freak of nature. His combine stats were meh, especially compared to someone like Bruce Campbell; Bulaga "only" ran a 5.26 40-yard dash, and his bench presses--26 at 225 at the combine, and 27 at Iowa--weren't great either.

Shouldn't I be worried about drafting Bulaga, then?
Actually, no! Here's why:

Combine measures examined in this study include 10-, 20-, and 40-yard dashes, bench press, vertical jump, broad jump, 20- and 60-yard shuttles, three-cone drill, and the Wonderlic Personnel Test . . . . Using correlation analysis, we find no consistent statistical relationship between combine tests and professional football performance, with the notable exception of sprint tests for running backs."

But still, I should not call a play where Bulaga is expected to run 40 yards untouched in a straight line? For many reasons, yes, you should not do this.

Jokes aside: will Bulaga be awesome? Probably. Keep in mind much of his value lies in the potential and theoretical, since he's really only had one healthy season at tackle (as a true freshman, he was competent at guard). But if the thyroid problem is resolved--and we're not about to cast doubt on that if the Mayo Clinic says it's all good--then there's no reason to think he won't return to his prior form, which was both violent and dominant. He will not turn a bad line around by himself. He will make a decent line better, and he will make a good line strong to quite strong.

But seriously, Oakland, do not touch this man. We've never forgiven you for Nick Bell's career, much less Robert Gallery's.

UserPostedImage
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
14 years ago
Bryan sounds like a throwback player who will give GB his blood, sweat and tears. And when he walks off the field he will be covered in mud.

At the end of his (hopefully long) career all the Packer fans will be sorry to see him leave.
UserPostedImage
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago

Again.. if we could have been sure that Saffold would have been there in the second.. I might have went Hughes then Saffold in the second.. but I don't think either slide to the Packers.

"pack93z" wrote:

You know, Bedard has been really high on Brad Jones for a while, and given that he knows this system back when Capers was in Miami and had pretty good OLB, I think he knows a little something about the type of player who can succeed.

In other words, I don't think OLB was a pressing concern. So I'm happy they went with T.

One of the things I've read in a couple of scouts opinions is Bulaga's drop-off in 09 from 08. I know he had his medical condition, but if you read some scout comments, if he performed at the level he had in 08 then you get the impression he really was a top-10 talent.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

20h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.