Zero2Cool
14 years ago

[align=center]Bryan Bulaga | Offensive Tackle | Iowa | 6'5" - 312 lbs.[/align] 

OVERVIEW
One of the more athletic "big men" eligible for the 2010 NFL Draft, Bulaga's versatility as a prepster made him one of the most sought after recruits coming out of high school. After playing four different positions during his days at Marion Central High School, he began his Iowa career as a left offensive guard. Obviously more talented than any lineman the university has had since the days of Robert Gallery (2000-03), the coaching staff decided to insert the true freshman into the starting lineup midway through the 2007 campaign.

Bulaga's powerful frame and long arms were more suited to play on the edge. He was shifted to the demanding left tackle position as a sophomore, showing marked improvement in utilizing his long reach and strong hands to engage defenders, rather than turn his opponents inside, like he did when blocking from the interior position.

During his days at Central Catholic High, Bulaga competed as an offensive tackle and tight end on offense, and also lined up at defensive end and even linebacker. He registered 261 career tackles with 46 stops for loss, 31 sacks and one interception. While playing tight end, he recorded 35 receptions for 665 yards and ten touchdowns. As an offensive tackle, no opponent ever registered a sack vs. him.

Bulaga garnered Parade and Prep Star All-American first-team honors as a senior, adding USA Today second-team accolades. The Chicago Tribune, Illinois High School Football Coaches Association and Champaign News Gazette accorded him first-team All-State recognition that year, as he was also named Suburban Catholic Conference and Northwest Herald Area Player of the Year. The Chicago-Sun Times first-team All-Area pick added All-Conference as a junior, as he served as team captain during his final two seasons.

Bulaga received numerous scholarship offers, including such universities as Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Wisconsin, with a number of those schools recruiting him as defensive lineman or tight end. He eventually chose Iowa, which promised him to play offensive line, his preferred position.

As a freshman, Bulaga played in the 2007 season opener vs. Northern Iowa, but missed the next five games with a shoulder injury. He returned to action vs. Illinois and then took over left guard starting duties for the final five contests. He earned Freshman All-Big Ten Conference honors from The Sporting News for his second half performances.

Bulaga was named All-Big Ten Conference second-team by the league's coaches and Sophomore All-American by College Football News in 2008. By fall camp, he took over the demanding left tackle position, helping the offense average 370.38 yards per game. He graded a team-best 85.38% for blocking consistency, registering 110 knockdowns that included fifteen touchdown-resulting blocks.

Primed for a breakout 2009 campaign, Bulaga was one of four juniors named to the team's Leadership Group. He was a preseason All-American and named to the Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award watch lists.

Bulaga registered an 84.0% grade for blocking consistency. The offense sorely missed him while he was sidelined and finished the year ranked 89th in total offense (336.31 ypg) after averaging 370.38 yards the previous season. The left tackle collected 79 knockdowns and had twelve touchdown-resulting blocks.

Despite missing three contests, Bulaga received Walter Camp All-American second-team honors. He was also named to the All-Big Ten Conference first-team. The league's coaches selected him Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year, Joining Robert Gallery (2003), Eric Steinbach (2002), Mike Devlin (1992), Dave Croston (1986) and Mike Haight (1985) as other Hawkeyes to receive that honor.

In early January, Bulaga announced that he was forgoing his final year of college football to apply for the 2010 NFL Draft. "After much deliberation and careful consideration, I have decided to forego my fourth year of college eligibility and enter the upcoming NFL draft. This was not an easy decision since my Iowa experience has been very positive and rewarding.

"I want to thank Coach Ferentz, Coach (Reese) Morgan and the rest of the Iowa football staff who played a significant role in my development. I will always be a Hawkeye and will carry that with me proudly wherever my future takes me. Thanks to everyone for the support you've always given me."

CAREER NOTES
Bulaga played in 30 games at Iowa, starting 28 contests, including five at left offensive guard and 25 at left tackle...During his time at tackle, Bulaga recorded 181 knockdowns with 27 touchdown-resulting blocks and eleven blocks downfield...During that time, he was penalized five times and allowed just 3.5 quarterback sacks and no pressures on 712 pass attempts...In 2009, he became the fifth Iowa player to be named Big Ten Conference Offensive Lineman of the Year, joining Robert Gallery (2003), Eric Steinbach (2002), Mike Devlin (1992), Dave Croston (1986) and Mike Haight (1985).

2009 SEASON
Bulaga earned Walter Camp All-American first-team honors, adding second-team accolades from the Associated Press...All-Big Ten Conference first-team choice and became the sixth Hawkeye to be named Big Ten Offensive Lineman of the Year by the league's coaches...Member of the Outland Trophy and Lombardi Award Watch Lists... One of four juniors named to the team's Leadership Group...Started the season opener and the final nine games at left offensive tackle ...The offense struggled, ranking 89th in the nation with an average of 336.31 yards per game, as the rushing attack placed 99th nationally (114.23 ypg), but Bulaga still graded 84.0% for blocking consistency while producing 79 knockdowns that included twelve touchdown-resulting blocks...Gave up two quarterback sacks on 392 pass plays and was penalized three times while appearing in ten contests.

2008 SEASON
Second-team All-Big Ten Conference selection by the league's coaches, adding honor-able mention by the media...Second-team Sophomore All-American choice by College Football News...Recipient of the team's Hustle Award...Limited in spring drills with a shoulder injury, Bulaga shifted to left offensive tackle, starting all thirteen games...The team's "Iron Man" participated in all 835 offensive snaps, registering a career-high 102 knockdowns and fifteen touchdown-resulting blocks...Graded 85.38% for blocking consistency...Penalized twice and allowed just 1.5 quarterback sacks on 320 pass plays.

2007 SEASON
Named to Freshman All-Big Ten Conference team by The Sporting News...Played in seven games, starting the final five contests vs. Purdue, Michigan State, Northwestern, Western Michigan and Minnesota at left offensive guard...Also played as a reserve vs. Northern Iowa and Illinois... Played every offensive snap during his five starting assignments.

CAMPUS AGILITY TESTS
5.26 in the 40-yard dash...1.81 10-yard dash...3.03 20-yard dash...4.62 20-yard shuttle...7.40 three-cone drill...27.5-inch vertical jump...8'2" broad jump...Bench pressed 225 pounds 26 times...33 1/4-inch arm length...9 1/4-inch hands.

HIGH SCHOOL
Attended Marian Central Catholic (Woodstock, Ill.) High School, playing football for head coach Ed Brucker...Earned Parade and Prep Star All-American first-team honors as a senior, adding USA Today second-team accolades...The Chicago Tribune, Illinois High School Football Coaches Association and Champaign News Gazette accorded him first- team All-State recognition that year, as he was also named Suburban Catholic Conference and Northwest Herald Area Player of the Year...The Chicago-Sun Times first-team All-Area pick added All-Conference as a junior, as he served as team captain during his final two seasons...Honor Roll student.

PERSONAL
Communication Studies major...Son of Kathi and Joe Bulaga (pronounced boo-LAUG-uh)... Resides in Crystal Lake, Illinois.

UserPostedImage
spicnspan320
14 years ago
So glad we finally picked up a big need. I was ready to shoot myself if we happened upon another WR LOL
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
Interesting that he is coming from Kirk Ferentz program, who also happens to be a big supporter of Joe Philbin (Bedard went as far as to say Ferentz swears by Philbin on the O-line).

You have to think the Packers are extremely happy he fell, great value. I like the pick - fills a major need.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
nickb364
14 years ago
Awesome. Now we can finally move on and throw OL out the window. I hope in the 2nd we grab TCU LB Jerry Hughes. If not, Cal RB Jahvid Best, if neither, CB Kyle Wilson.

3rd I would really love Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster if we don't address RB earlier.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I'm liking this pick.
blank
all_about_da_packers
14 years ago
LOL at Aaron Rodgers tweet following the pick:

Thanks Ted!!

http://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12/status/12675633781 

LOL Aaron.
The NFL: Where Greg Jennings Happens.
nerdmann
14 years ago

Awesome. Now we can finally move on and throw OL out the window. I hope in the 2nd we grab TCU LB Jerry Hughes. If not, Cal RB Jahvid Best, if neither, CB Kyle Wilson.

3rd I would really love Ole Miss' Dexter McCluster if we don't address RB earlier.

"nickb364" wrote:

All of the above! I like this pick, but doesn't Bulaga have have shorter arms than Lang? ("His arms are too short," being the main reason they wouldn't move Lang to LT?)
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
gijoe82
14 years ago

"nickb364" wrote:

I can not see a scenario where either of those kids are available tomorrow. Would love to see Hughes though.
blank
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I love this pick. So lucky he dropped to us. Some people had him as a top 10 pick!
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

@AaronRodgers12 : Thanks Ted!! He's gonna look good in green and gold.

@ClayMatthews52 : Bryan Bulaga... That's a big boy! Really like this pick!!

@NickBarnett : Although am a lil selfish and want defense!!! Still should be a great pick!! Defense pick next!!

Fan Shout
beast (28m) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (29m) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (4h) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
31m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

20h / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.