Pack93z
14 years ago
Rock... if you are going to pick up the guitar.. make the best of it.. if not... It is guitar zero land for you. ;)

UserPostedImage
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
nathaniel
14 years ago
As long as you're not buying your used guitar from a pawn shop, it's okay spending less for a guitar. Pawn shops are only worried about getting their money out of it, but the majority of people at a music store are snobs and they aren't going to let you leave with an instrument that is inferior or low quality.

The absolute worst thing you can do is take someone along with you who thinks they know anything and everything about guitars. Yes, talking to someone who plays so you can get an idea of what to look for its a great idea, but they're going to tell you what THEY prefer. Becoming a good guitar player has nothing to do with the wiring or even the look of a guitar. It's all about comfort and feel. It sounds so corny, but it really needs to feel like a continuation of your body. Different guitars have different action in the strings, and you need to find what is comfortable to you and what sounds good to you. You want a guitar that has a good weight for you. So many people swear by Les Pauls, and they are nice guitars, but the weight was a big deal for me.

Long story short, don't worry too much about all the technical things concerning your first guitar. Get something comfortable that you like and that sounds good to you. Once you learn more, you may want to upgrade, but don't break the bank on your first guitar.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
What Nathaniel said is right on. Avoid pawn shops like you'd avoid a pack of zombies. The absolute last thing they are concerned about is you.

And yes, a lot of guitarists have their own prejudices. What works for them might not work for you. For example, I don't like Les Paul's either, but I do like Gibson SGs. Personal preference. However, you might pick up the Les Paul and say "wow, this is exactly perfect for my style of playing" and you might absolute hate how SGs look. You have to take someone along who will understand you, not just guitars.

We have different styles of music, different finger sizes. You and I will play scales and chords differently. The guy you take along has to understand that. You might like a cleaner sound than I might like, so you and I might like different pickups. Plus, one neck I might hate might work with your fingers perfectly.

You do need to see basics though and that's what I was getting at. Like, is the neck warped? Are the strings too high to be playable? Is the bridge garbage? Are the pickups garbage? Is the wiring so bad that it will have to be rewired?

This is just me, but I'm more worried about you getting something so cheap that you hate it than I'm worried about you breaking the bank. But then again, music matters more to me than money. That's just me though.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
alharrisdude31
14 years ago
try to learn right handed
i used to be a left handed drummer, but my set came as right handed (tom on the right, snare on the left, and all the cymbals mixed up) and i couldnt change it because it was so complex, it took about a month or so but i finally mastered it, now i cant play left handed because i havent in so long.
its going to be hard to find a left handed guitar for cheap, especially a starter one
maybe a custom acoustic?
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Thanks for all the help, guys.

I've got my mind set on a right handed one now, I think. Maybe a Squier starting set. That white Squier Strat looks great and, from what I've read and heared, it's a great starter guitar. And it comes in a starter pack. From what I've read, the only thing it struggles with is getting a full metal sound, but I don't like metal, anyway.

You can't convince me that I should pay more than 200 euros for my first guitar. Maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

I was thinking about buying it off the internet. I'm not used to anything right now. I don't know any guitarists, either. You know the problems I have, as well, Zombie. I don't want to get taken advantage off in a music store, either.

Al - You're right. Learning to play right handed shouldn't be too hard. It just takes a little getting used to.

Pack93 - I have one version of guitar hero. Never play it. It's great when it feels like you're making music, but I just can't get past the fact that I'm just pushing in colored buttons. And if that's the case, it gets boring really fast.
flep
14 years ago

Heck......Paul McCartney plays lefty! If he can do it, you can too!
It's weird, i'm right handed, but when i tried to play a guitar, i couldn't do it right handed. It didn't feel "natural" at all. But i gave it up, as i sucked at it.
So i stayed with singing only.

"Cheesey" wrote:

The well known story is that Paul is right handed but Brian Epstein asked him to learn to play the Bass left handed as the symetry in the way the group played on stage would look better
Formed Merseyside Nighthawks. British Champions 1992. Packer fan for 32 years
UserPostedImage

I feel very wrong now!!!!!!!!!
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Tried some starter lesson stuff on an acoustic guitar. I was horrible. And not just starter horrible. I was better with a right hand guitar that I turned around, than I was playing regular right handed guitar.

I'm going with a lefty. There might not be that much choice, but big whoop. Odds are that I hit a bargain on ebay faster, as well. And I'm a decently smart guy, if I say so myself, I should be able to learn it the other way around from a right handed instruction book/DVD/teacher.

I finally figured out what guitar I want, as well. I read a lot of reviews and decided to step away from the Squier strat for two reasons. The reviews all had it coming out pretty mediocre. Next to that, I'd like to play a little Foo Fighters, Lynyrd Skynyrd, a little rock. I'd like to have a humbucker on it. The strat only has 3 single coils. Maybe I'm aiming a little too high for someone who's just starting, but I'd like to play on it longer than 3 weeks.

So I pretty much got my sights aimed on an Epiphone Les Pauls Special II. It gets good reviews, it's pretty cheap and I'm hoping that I can get it in the starter kit that it comes in as a right handed guitar.

Again, thanks for all the help.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
That will probably be a pretty good guitar for you. 700T/650R pickups if I remember correctly are decent and Epiphone necks aren't that bad. I've played on the Epiphone SGs and they're pretty dang close to the real SGs, so I assume the Epiphone Les Pauls will be close to the real ones.

I think you made a good choice there, Rock. May you get several good years out of that guitar. If you get good at it, you always need a 2nd guitar anyways because it's kind of a given that a string will break when you least want it to, i.e., your first show or trying to impress that babe you've wanted to show off to for the past year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
djcubez
14 years ago
Well it may be a little late but I'll at least throw you my two cents.

I got a starter guitar (YAMAHA) when I was around 10 years old to start learning. My mom made me take lessons for 3 years and I learned most of the basics: finger picking, basic chords, strumming, etc., One of the things I never picked up on however was the actual notes on the guitar (I still get strings confused to this day lol). However, despite not knowing notes I still loved to fool around and play.

Once I got to high school I quit guitar for a while. I had gotten an electric (Ibanez) that was great but it started to break down and I didn't want to play my acoustic because of how shitty it was to begin with (starter guitar).

Fast forward to college, I have no friends so I have to make new ones. Turns out that every other new person I meet "plays" guitar (I put plays in quotes because most douches count knowing a few Jack Johnson songs as "playing"). So first thing I did was bring my old acoustic guitar to college with me and with my limited knowledge I began "jamming" with multiple friends, probably one of the best experiences I've had musically.

Now here I am, roughly four years into college with my decade-old acoustic sitting in my lap while I type this. I just had it re-strung last week. I still don't know many names of the notes but I'm so musically inclined that I can put together good chord progressions by ear (I mainly play rhythm guitar).

So what does all this mean? That your guitar experience, just like everything else in life is exactly what you decide to make it. Once I learned how to actually play with people it became a lot more enjoyable and I found that I never really wanted to be a guitarist, just someone that knows his way around the basics of a guitar.

Also, learning by tab can fun but it really doesn't teach you much. I know people that can play 10 songs amazingly on guitar because they practiced only those tabs but have no clue what they're doing otherwise.

I'm definitely not your foremost authority on guitar in this forums but I thought I'd give you my guitar story. I also want to say that I've played trombone since I was 8 so I was already musically trained before I started guitar which probably made it a lot easier.

My best advice? Have fun.
Rockmolder
13 years ago
So, I finally got the guitar. Screwing around with it right now and the first thing I noticed is that two or three strings rattle quite a bit. Especially when playing the 1st fret.

Of course, this could just be because I just started playing the thing, but it doesn't look like too great a start.
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (12h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (13h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (13h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (13h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (13h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (13h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (15h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (16h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (20h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (20h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.