Rockmolder
14 years ago
I figured that I'd try this over here first...

I've been thinking about buying a guitar. Nothing fancy, just a starter thingy.
The big problem is this, I'm left handed.

Now I don't care how it looks or anything, but my left hand is very dominant, so I'd like to actually play on a lefty guitar. My biggest problem with that is that I don't know to read tabs. At all. I'm wondering how hard it is to change these right handed tabs that you find all over the net into left handed ones.

Then there's always the price difference, but I think that I'd rather spent an extra 80 Euro's on a guitar, even if it's a starter thing, than play with my much weaker right hand.

I think.

Lol.
The_Green_Ninja
14 years ago
Do a mirror effect on the string, the top on bottom and bottom on top and so on.
UserPostedImage
TheEngineer
14 years ago
I think it'd be a better idea to learn to play guitar right handed, irrespective of the fact that you're left handed.

It'll just be easier in life - taking lessons, giving lessons, playing instruments at other people's houses, wooing your girlfriend with a serenade, etc etc.

I see it the same way as batting in baseball or cricket. Whether you're left or right handed doesn't preclude you to bat left or right handed (or switch).

In any case, since you're left hand dominant, you might have an easier time coordinating your left hand to bar the notes or chords anyway, whereas all your right hand needs to do is to strum with a pick or at worst, fingerpicking.
blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I think it'd be a better idea to learn to play guitar right handed, irrespective of the fact that you're left handed.

It'll just be easier in life - taking lessons, giving lessons, playing instruments at other people's houses, wooing your girlfriend with a serenade, etc etc.

I see it the same way as batting in baseball or cricket. Whether you're left or right handed doesn't preclude you to bat left or right handed (or switch).

In any case, since you're left hand dominant, you might have an easier time coordinating your left hand to bar the notes or chords anyway, whereas all your right hand needs to do is to strum with a pick or at worst, fingerpicking.

"TheEngineer" wrote:

I've picked up guitars before. My tendency is to pick them up like it where a left handed guitar, only to have people tell me that I should turn it around.

I know that my tendency is to play left handed.

But you make some good points. In the end, you're going to use two hands. I figure that both tasks are quite learnable for both hands. It's also quite a bit cheaper, you have more choice, learning to play etc.

You swayed me towards a right handed one. Lol. I'll wait for our resident zombie slaying musician to comment. I'm just indecisive.

If only we knew how good Jimmy would've been had he played a right handed guitar.
nathaniel
14 years ago
There are a lot of decent cheap guitars out there. Most of them have left-handed models as well. Of course, you could always string a right-handed guitar backwards like Hendrix did. I actually played a left-handed guitar stringed to play right-handed and it was pretty awkward, cause the knobs are right where your strum-hand rests.

I'd look at some Epiphone models. I have an Epiphone Special 2, which I love, and that guitar is now around $100 (US). They're all made by Gibson, and are good quality. First Act has been known as a cheap "generic" guitar manufacturer but are now making some quality instruments. I know quite a few well known bands who exclusively use First Act guitars now.

Reading tabs is pretty easy to learn, and lefty tabs would just be mirror images of righty tabs. I've noticed that a lot of the tabs you'll find aren't completely correct, so that's why I mainly play by ear. I took piano lessons as a kid (I faked my way through them for two years...I was playing by ear the whole time) so I can read basic music, but I prefer figuring out stuff on my own. Tabs are a great way to get started though.
blank
Cheesey
14 years ago
Heck......Paul McCartney plays lefty! If he can do it, you can too!
It's weird, i'm right handed, but when i tried to play a guitar, i couldn't do it right handed. It didn't feel "natural" at all. But i gave it up, as i sucked at it.
So i stayed with singing only.
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Sorry amigo. I know absolutely nothing about left-handed guitars. Nothing. I don't know about tabs either, but assume that they're the same for left-handers as right-handers, as notation is the same for both.

As for buying a guitar, I'd advise against getting one "too cheap." You may find you love it and regret buying a cheapie as you'll just have to resell it.

Get one where the strings aren't too high off the fretboard and one that doesn't have garbage pickups. You want it to be playable, and have a decent sound. Take someone who plays guitar with you when you purchase it. Guitarists love talking about guitars.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
zombieslayer
14 years ago
To elaborate, a guitar that is too cheap is barely playable and will quickly ruin your desire to play it. Trust me on this one. I've seen this happen to many would be guitarists.

The good news is you can always find something decent used for an affordable price. The bad news is you might have to go right-handed as I see almost nothing good for left-handers out there used.

Take a guitarist with you when you buy a used guitar. There are certain things you have to look at with the neck. The neck can be warped and if so, no matter what the original purchase price is, it's ruined. Also, the guitarist will know if it needs new wiring, if the pickups are garbage, etc.

You may on the other hand find a steal. Two of the 3 guitars I've owned were purchased used and I got killer deals on both used ones. People need money sometimes and unload good products cheaply, especially musicians.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. ๐Ÿ‡น๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฒ ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡ท
Rockmolder
14 years ago

To elaborate, a guitar that is too cheap is barely playable and will quickly ruin your desire to play it. Trust me on this one. I've seen this happen to many would be guitarists.

The good news is you can always find something decent used for an affordable price. The bad news is you might have to go right-handed as I see almost nothing good for left-handers out there used.

Take a guitarist with you when you buy a used guitar. There are certain things you have to look at with the neck. The neck can be warped and if so, no matter what the original purchase price is, it's ruined. Also, the guitarist will know if it needs new wiring, if the pickups are garbage, etc.

You may on the other hand find a steal. Two of the 3 guitars I've owned were purchased used and I got killer deals on both used ones. People need money sometimes and unload good products cheaply, especially musicians.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I've scowered the internet before this. I always do. I'm indecisive when it comes to buying things that are over 20 euros.

I've been thinking about just buying a complete starter pack online. A cheap one, preferably. Now I've visited some forums etc. and everyone seems to disagree about those cheap, unknown brand ones for starters. Some say that it's perfect to just get the hang of it, while not paying too much. Others say that they suck so badly that it'll ruin any fun you'll have.

There appear to be some decent Squier and Ibanez starter packs out there...

Maybe I should just buy a $25,- ukelele. Lol.
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Rock - It really depends on you. Do you want to be a musician? Or do you just want to play around on something?

It would be like if you were interested in music so you bought yourself a cheap Casio keyboard. Well, after a week, that will pretty much squelch any musician in you as I have yet to see a Casio keyboard a year old or more that wasn't covered in dust.

Don't be cheap. This is music we're talking about. What in life is more important other than food, water, shelter, and hoo hoos?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (1h) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (2h) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (18h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (19h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (19h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (19h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (19h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (19h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (21h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (22h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: โ€œGot in a fight with the bench press. I lost.โ€
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

22h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright ยฉ 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.comโ„ข. All Rights Reserved.