Cal2GreenBay
14 years ago

I don't believe the Packers were in a prevent defense. Kampman and Harris were out, and we stopped pressuring as much. And the biggest factor in why the 49ers were able to score is because Woodson wasn't covering Vernon Davis that much, it was Jarret Bush.

Alex Smith doesn't look like he has a strong arm. I wasn't paying much attention to him though.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

You're right..maybe not a prevent defense but they as you said, they weren't applying the same pressure either due to injuries or gameplan.

So my point is Alex didn't improve during the game w/out the packers allowing him to.

Sadly Alex Smith has the strongest arm of the QB"s on the niners. That tells you the state the 49ers are in. It's funny how draft people viewed Alex's physical skills to Aaron. Aaron's arm is clearly stronger and way more accurate.
blank
TheEngineer
14 years ago
Cal, you'll probably know this better than I, but wasn't Rodgers' arm far weaker coming out of college than it is now? Stronger than Smith but certainly not the eye opening raw power that it is now with all the weight training and improvement in technique.

And guys - McCarthy is only a QB guru, if we want to call him that, after he left Smith and his 1 TD - 11 INT season - McCarthy changed his philosophy from starting QBs right away to letting them sit.
blank
blueleopard
14 years ago
Scouts viewed Aaron Rodgers as the safer pick. Smith was the more athletic guy, and apparently the Niners picked him because they thought he would make the team more dynamic because had the time, he had the ability to throw the ball farther than Rodgers and he had great size. Not to mention he scored a perfect on the Wonderlic.

Rodgers was viewed as a good QB worthy of the #1 pick any other year. But because of character issues and not as high an upside as Smith, Smith was the guy taken.

It worked well for Green Bay. Rodgers had all of Favre's measurables to a T. Favre and Rodgers were both 6'2" and weighted 223 lbs. And it's fairly apparent that Rodgers developed quite a zip when slinging the ball as well.
Danreb Victorio A Believer of Greg Jennings
alharrisdude31
14 years ago

I still want to know the last time a QB led the league in passer rating and rushing yards (for QBs) at the midpoint of the season.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

if vick had a better team around him in 04 (not to say they were bad, just not the best), he woulda had that and they woulda went to the superbowl
Rockmolder
14 years ago

I still want to know the last time a QB led the league in passer rating and rushing yards (for QBs) at the midpoint of the season.

"alharrisdude31" wrote:

if vick had a better team around him in 04 (not to say they were bad, just not the best), he woulda had that and they woulda went to the superbowl

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

The best passer rating? I very much doubt that he would ever have gotten a passer rating over 95 in an 8 game stretch.
dhazer
14 years ago

Mike McCarthy the "quarterback guru" had Alex Smith for one year..
and Alex threw more interceptions than touchdowns...

I don't know if that's more on McCarthy or on Smith...

"Cal2GreenBay" wrote:

First off i just want to say welcome back Rodgers dad been awhile. But i think Rock hit it right on. If Rodgers was drafted by the 9ers he would probably be close to out of football by now. No Qb could have went there and started right away and won. They had noone running or catching the ball and to top it off they kept changing their offensive scheme. Hell i don't think Manning or Brady could of gone there and won.
I'm still stumped on this thing about Mike McCarthy being a qb guru, who the hell has he made into such a great qb? I heard the likes of Brooks and Gannon but c'mon people Gannon was in the year for how many years already and Brooks had one good year, plus if he was so great what happened this year with our qbs?

Now for Smith what do you think he could have been by sitting on the bench for 3 years behind a hall of famer and learning the same system every year?

Rodgers Dad i seen you say Smith got his yards against a soft defense well then i guess Rodgers got alot of his stats the same way last year then right?

Im glad Rodgers is playing ok but i don't understand this great qb talk. Stats wise yes but then again go by yards and then Schaub is an elite qb. Wins and Ben is 2nd to none. So i say let him play his game and just go along for the ride that you have been on since Rodgers was born which is understandable. So when you talk to your son tell him to stay healthy and keep winning
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Great to see you back, Cal.

I'm not so down on Smith like everyone else is. He was a guy who walked into a bad situation and not surprisingly hasn't done well. Kind of like David Carr. What if David Carr was drafted by the Patriots, sat behind Tom Brady for several years, and when Brady went down last year, Carr replaced him instead of Cassel?

Rodgers though toughened up greatly since joining the Packers. His arm strength has noticeably improved and I just don't get the non-athleticism tag he ended up with. He's leading the entire freaking NFL in QB scrambling yards. How is that not athletic?

Plus, although Smith got a near perfect on the Wonderlic, Rodgers is no slacker either when it comes to IQ.

As for Rodgers getting the "great" tag, I prefer to only use it on Hall of Famers. However, if he ends this season with a 100+ rating, can we at least slap the "elite" label on him? Especially considering our OL (obscenities, obscenities, and more obscenities)?
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
porky88
14 years ago
Some QBs have a certain moxy or leadership quality that separates them from everyone else. Rodgers has it and Smith doesn't. I think it's unfair to say that Rodgers would be out of the league right now or close to it had he went to San Francisco. We simply don't know. Rodgers has worked as hard as any player off the field and continues to improve when he needs too.

The criticism of him not playing well in the clutch was quickly halted by a clutch pass to Greg Jennings to beat the Bears in week one. He hasn't had many chances since then, but none the less, he proved something on that throw. He progressed.

Midseason and it's clear he needs to get rid of the ball faster and go to the short game more. The last three games he's done that and I'm not sure he's been playing at a higher level.

Rodgers has taken his game to new levels and I think it's unfair to just give Mike McCarthy all the credit here. Rodgers deserves credit when it's due and he's turning into one good QB.

It'd be a sham if the NFC Pro Bowl QBs this year aren't Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers.

That's some nice company to be in.

Yes, he benefited a lot from playing and observing Brett Favre for so many years and getting coached by a solid QB coach in Mike McCarthy, but he also has proven enough to me that I think he's just a better player than Smith either way. I think it's clear San Francisco made a mistake.
zombieslayer
14 years ago

Some QBs have a certain moxy or leadership quality that separates them from everyone else. Rodgers has it and Smith doesn't. I think it's unfair to say that Rodgers would be out of the league right now or close to it had he went to San Francisco. We simply don't know. Rodgers has worked as hard as any player off the field and continues to improve when he needs too.

The criticism of him not playing well in the clutch was quickly halted by a clutch pass to Greg Jennings to beat the Bears in week one. He hasn't had many chances since then, but none the less, he proved something on that throw. He progressed.

Midseason and it's clear he needs to get rid of the ball faster and go to the short game more. The last three games he's done that and I'm not sure he's been playing at a higher level.

Rodgers has taken his game to new levels and I think it's unfair to just give Mike McCarthy all the credit here. Rodgers deserves credit when it's due and he's turning into one good QB.

It'd be a sham if the NFC Pro Bowl QBs this year aren't Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers.

That's some nice company to be in.

Yes, he benefited a lot from playing and observing Brett Favre for so many years and getting coached by a solid QB coach in Mike McCarthy, but he also has proven enough to me that I think he's just a better player than Smith either way. I think it's clear San Francisco made a mistake.

"porky88" wrote:

I do think that's the NFC Pro Bowl this year for QBs. :thumbright:

Rodgers also has a chip on his shoulder for two reasons, and it's a GOOD thing. I strongly think in life you're better off with a chip on your shoulder. I'd get into the whole Class thing here but it would be unappropriate, but it's a dang good analogy.

The two reasons now:
1) what happened on his draft day. He did get slighted. And don't let any words fool you, he was pissed and disappointed that day.
2) It's the whole Joe vs Steve all over again. You got a guy who's replacing a Hall of Famer that a lot of people don't want to see leave. So he's got to prove himself.

Only, Niner fans handled it with a bit more tact. At first glance, that might be insulting to Packer fans but now that I look at it years later, it's more because Packer fans are more rabid and Niner fans are more passive, which is in a way a good thing.

So Rodgers has something to prove. Had he been drafted by the Niners, I don't think he would have that chip on his shoulder. After all, he would have been the #1 draft pick and I bet most people have no idea who the starting QB for the Niners was in '04. I had to even look it up.

I think those two things have forced him to have a little bit more "moxy," however, moxy is something from the inside. It had to be there in the first place.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
dhazer
14 years ago

1) what happened on his draft day. He did get slighted. And don't let any words fool you, he was pissed and disappointed that day.

I geuss thats why Brady is always playing so good, Imagine how pissed he must be that he didnt get drafted till the 6th round 😛

I think if roles were reversed the players would be Rodgers struggling and probably often injured and Smith would be healthy and playing well after learning from the bench. But thats just my opinion, we all know i look at Rodgers as a football player and not some great super hero. Just like the game yesterday he was throwing alot of his passes into the ground and happened to get lucky on blown coverages for big plays to driver and a slant pass that Jennings ran for most of the yards.
Just Imagine this for the next 6-9 years. What a ride it will be 🙂 (PS, Zero should charge for this)
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (21h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
9m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

2h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

2h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

7h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

16h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

17h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.