evad04
14 years ago

You quoted me and I didn't see the distinction of saying others. I seen 'zero' in there on two posts in which I was quoted.

I am saying if Mike McCarthy doesn't get this team back on track, he needs his position evaluated at the end of the year. I even said, not right now, firing him now is not the right thing.

I'm not saying CAN THE SEASON SCREW IT! I think we still have a chance, but the coach needs to coach better or for two years in a row we're going to see the same problems again. That's one issue I have with him. Another is the OL scheme. I've harped on this for a long time. When we lost Jeff Jagsawhatever, I feel we should have ditched the ZBS too. We don't have anyone who's an expert teaching the scheme. Hell, Campen didn't even play in the scheme he's trying to teach.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I know. Sorry about the confusion. I'm finding myself in a post where I have a few things to say to you in those cases but then my mind jogs and I have other things to say that in truth are really more directed towards the generally reactive attitude on these boards since last night. Again, I apologize for the misunderstanding.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
dfosterf
14 years ago

Didn't want to post another Mike McCarthy thread, so I will post it here:

Bedard talks about Mike McCarthy 

[mp3 width=400 height=20]http://wssp.radiotown.com/audio/doug/110209dmgregbedard.mp3[/mp3]

"IronMan" wrote:

Definitely worth taking the time and trouble to listen to, Dave.

Thanks for posting it.

+1 for your (as always) superior multimedia contribution...

I suspect a lot of people gloss over these. I know I do sometimes.

I'm glad I didn't this time.
4PackGirl
14 years ago
coaching is only the beginning.
when was the last time any of you can truly say "wow - we've got an awesome OL"???? i honestly can't remember feeling that way for quite a few seasons.
if it's not working, fix it. either by fielding (by spending some of that moldy cash) a strong team OR by adapting the gameplan based on the team you field.
until one or both of these scenarios take place, we'll remain a mediocre team.
warhawk
14 years ago

If you don't think he's lost the team. Check out the penalties and the comments being said in the locker room.

He's lost or at least losing his grip on this team. A coach in control of his team doesn't average more than 8 penalties a game. Mind you, the same penalties each week for nearly four seasons.

I'll also add in, he needs to coach to his teams strengths. Short, quick passing game.

"evad04" wrote:

OMFG!

OMFG!

OMFG!

JEsus F'in CHRIST!

Zero -- if you have the power, please find a film tape of last night's game with a camera angle that shows the entire fiield.

Then we can have a little Cover 2 defense lesson.

Listen here boys, and listen closely: this game is too complex for simple statements like he needs to get rid of the ball quicker or that we need to emphasize the short passing game. In the first half, the Vikes almost exclusively rushed four guys, and behind that ran a Tampa 2 like zone shell. That means there were 4 rushers, and 7 in coverage. A few of the sacks against Rodgers in the first half were instances where there were at least 2 or 3 of those passing options in intermediate-short passing routes (hitches, curls, flats, comeback routes, etc.). Rodgers would go through his progression. Nothing would be there. Result -- sack, or incompletion.

The idea that we were just looking "downfield" and that McCarthy coached a piss poor first half is I PROMISE ON MY FUCKING MOTHER'S LIFE a simple, easy, quick way out of the situation that isn't indicative of the truth: it's a fucking cop out, guys.

What changed, is that in the second half, it started to work. We were able to hit up the cover 2 in the seems. We were able to spread the ball around. McCarthy talks about "rhythm" in the offense. Don't be so quick to brush that aside. In the first half we had no rhythm. Simply, we couldn't string together many successful plays in a row. It was a combination of the play being called, Minnesota reacting damn near perfect (getting pressure with four, locking up the receiving targets with EXCELLENT underneath coverage), and Green Bay failing to execute. If ANYTHING we should have tried to get the ball downfield in the seams of Cover 2 MORE in the first half. This idea that McCarthy was stubborn and trying to force it downfield in the first half (and thus why our offense was anemic) is completely fallacious. Barring one stupid Rodgers bomb off play action (the one into double coverage) we actually seemed to try pretty hard to develop the quick passing game. It wasn't there in the first half. Not everything is an issue of playcalling! Sometimes defenses simply "click" and good things happen for them. Are we forgetting this is the game of football we are watching?

In the second half things worked, but it isn't as simple as saying "why weren't we doing that in the first half! wahhh... fire McCarthy." That is such an eerily simplistic analysis of a game that, let's be honest, to play or coach at this level requires a substantial knowledge that we the superfans don't know. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to understand it -- hell, I think we should. But I can promise you, things like "we need the quick passing game" fail on all accounts -- like the account of reality. The short stuff is hard to find against a Cover 2 defense -- particularly when it is a good defense. But that didn't stop us from trying to get the quick passing game going. I promise you, go back and watch the game.

/rant

I need a fucking drink. And it's 11 am.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

Yeah, I have about exhausted myself on this issue as well. We are a potent offense because of the vertical threat component and I have said repeatedly that the defensive scheme dictates what the offense runs.

The bottom line is Cover 2 is the way to play us right now especially for a team that has a stout run defense.

This was a tough spot for us Sunday. You have a first year player at LT, a first year starter at RT, a first year starter at one of the G spots, and Wells in there instead of Spitz. Now you look across the LOS and see who they have over there.

Sure, I would like the 0line to play a little better but that's not even what cost us this game.

1) Special Teams. Specifically kickoff coverage although they got a punt return back to the 49 too.
2) The head butt. Four points
3) Missed FG
4) failed two point conversion- that was a walk in.

In big games little things make a huge difference. Both teams were making plays out there so when you have a chance to score or make a stop and give up three vs. seven you got to do it.

Jolly doesn't make that bone head play and Crosby hits instead of missing the FG and we're winning at that point. Whole different ball game and yet what we need to do is change the offensive philosophy and probably fire all the coaches.
"The train is leaving the station."
evad04
14 years ago

Yeah, I have about exhausted myself on this issue as well. We are a potent offense because of the vertical threat component and I have said repeatedly that the defensive scheme dictates what the offense runs.

The bottom line is Cover 2 is the way to play us right now especially for a team that has a stout run defense.

This was a tough spot for us Sunday. You have a first year player at LT, a first year starter at RT, a first year starter at one of the G spots, and Wells in there instead of Spitz. Now you look across the LOS and see who they have over there.

Sure, I would like the 0line to play a little better but that's not even what cost us this game.

1) Special Teams. Specifically kickoff coverage although they got a punt return back to the 49 too.
2) The head butt. Four points
3) Missed FG
4) failed two point conversion- that was a walk in.

In big games little things make a huge difference. Both teams were making plays out there so when you have a chance to score or make a stop and give up three vs. seven you got to do it.

Jolly doesn't make that bone head play and Crosby hits instead of missing the FG and we're winning at that point. Whole different ball game and yet what we need to do is change the offensive philosophy and probably fire all the coaches.

"warhawk" wrote:

+1

Thank you. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
IronMan
14 years ago
Warhawk, evad, you guys act as if Mike McCarthy has no control over what happens on the field. HE IS THE HEAD COACH. HE IS RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT HAPPENS ON THE FIELD.
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
I think they attempted the blitzing but it failed.

We tried to put pressure on them with blitzes, Packers cornerback Charles Woodson said. And [Favre] either pointed them out and set the protection the right way, or threw the ball quick and we werent able to get to him. We felt like we had enough things called -- and still we cant get to him for whatever reason. Right now we cant win the big game.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

I think they attempted the blitzing but it failed.

We tried to put pressure on them with blitzes, Packers cornerback Charles Woodson said. And [Favre] either pointed them out and set the protection the right way, or threw the ball quick and we werent able to get to him. We felt like we had enough things called -- and still we cant get to him for whatever reason. Right now we cant win the big game.

"RedSoxExcel" wrote:

This is exactly what I was trying to say in my first post today.. we dialed up blitzes.. they picked them up effectively and Favre made a quick throw.. I have very little issue with the defensive game plan last night.. they beat us on the field.

That happens in this league.. I can accept that they won both rounds in that chess match.. their offense against our defense.

I will take our defense any day of the week and play any team.. including the Vikings. We made plays, they made plays.. it is the way it rolls sometimes.

Committing penalties that cost us stops, you don't have any idea how frustrating that is for the players on the field. Especially after the play was dead.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
ILikeThePackers39
14 years ago
In defense of the - well, the defense, and the folks who are trying to calm us down a little: there's a difference between having a bad D and playing a team with a superior O. I'm going to suggest that what we saw was the latter.

Minnesota's line is getting better by the game - I said before the season that the time to get to Favre was early in the season, and I think that's turning out to be far more prophetic than I would have liked.

Favre owned Capers. He has done it before. It happens.

Not a bad D - just overmatched by a very, very good O.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Capers 0
Favre 8

BUT, my question is ... has Mike McCarthy lost control over this team? Not did we blitz enough, etc. My frustration comes from hearing the same thing from mm's mouth, yet to me, it's not translating onto the field. What's the problem? Are we too young to do as were told?

I'm not saying he has lost the team for sure, guaranteed, no question about it. I'm more so questioning whether he has or not. On some aspects, I think he has to a certain degree and needs to fix it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3h) : I feel similar about person and product/service.
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
25m / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.