Zero2Cool
14 years ago
I remember last season many 'experts' were saying Marvin Lewis had lost his team. Meaning they just weren't listening to him and believing into his system.

I think Mike McCarthy is having that issue now. Jenkins and Woodson have both spoken out against the new scheme. Kampman I don't think much likes it. Jolly basically thinks his actions with that penalty were okay. I say he thinks they were okay because he said he's not going to change. I would expect a well disciplined player to say "i need to play smarter than that", instead of hearing him say "it didn't cost us the game".

On offense we have so many dumb holding calls. I counted two in the first half that weren't even called. Some say you can call holding on every play. I'm talking these two holding's were change the players direction holding.

I think he has the ability to take the team back. However, I think he's too stubborn to adapt to what he needs to in order to do so.
UserPostedImage
warhawk
14 years ago
Woodson said something after the first Vikes game because Capers laid back and wouldn't blitz. I would be EXTREMELY surprised to learn any real fact, other than a player showing some frustration, that McCarthy doesn't have this team in hand.
"The train is leaving the station."
Pack93z
14 years ago
I think the second half yesterday showed that Mike McCarthy hasn't lost the team.. think about it, we got dominated in the first half, went into the locker room and regained some semblance of a professional football team.

A team without direction would have folded up the tent and packed it in..

With that being said, we can point to many areas to lay blame on MM.

1) Penalties and his staffs inability to get it "cleaned" up.
2) Refusing to address the coaching issues on the offensive line. It is time to hire a "consultant" for the remainder of the year and then make a legitimate change next season, to the consultant or in another direction.
3) Overall game management.
4) Situational play calling.

We are a team with a bad offensive line scheme and play, you cannot run slow developing routes in the passing game, in the first half we tried to stretch and pull at that defense with long drags or deep routes. In the second half, we changed the passing game to quick timing routes or just plain fast developing routes. It was a mistake on Mike McCarthy part and Rodgers became frustrated and simply was getting killed back there.

Bottom line, we are going nowhere fast against the upper 1/3 of the NFL with this offensive line. Game set match..

Waiting for Mike McCarthy to try and defect blame from the Offensive Line.. that is where I absolutely come unglued.. we fans are not blind nor stupid.

Call a spade a spade, admit we have a huge problem, change the pattern that has been held onto for too long, and start to fix the problem. Campen has proven himself to not be the man to right that ship.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
yooperfan
14 years ago
I don't believe McCathy has lost this team but if the losing ways continue, I'm thinking he might.
He has pretty much lost me. If I watch "Locker Room Live" this week and he utters "clean up" or "fix" (Supply any words) I just may smash my tv.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
If you don't think he's lost the team. Check out the penalties and the comments being said in the locker room.

He's lost or at least losing his grip on this team. A coach in control of his team doesn't average more than 8 penalties a game. Mind you, the same penalties each week for nearly four seasons.

I'll also add in, he needs to coach to his teams strengths. Short, quick passing game.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
Break down of the penalties from this last game

D, Jolly Personal Foul (unexcusable)
ST, Poppinga Holding (Typical)
D, Montgomery Neutral Zone (I question this call)
ST, Barbre Holding (Typical)
O, Lang holding offset (Questionable. Defender fell more than held)
D, Raji facemask (Shit happens penalty)
O, Barbre Holding (Normal Oline play, some called some not)

Hopefully this is a start of a trend. 7 penalties called 6 counted. Had Clifton been in the game, would have been about 11.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
evad04
14 years ago

If you don't think he's lost the team. Check out the penalties and the comments being said in the locker room.

He's lost or at least losing his grip on this team. A coach in control of his team doesn't average more than 8 penalties a game. Mind you, the same penalties each week for nearly four seasons.

I'll also add in, he needs to coach to his teams strengths. Short, quick passing game.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

OMFG!

OMFG!

OMFG!

JEsus F'in CHRIST!

Zero -- if you have the power, please find a film tape of last night's game with a camera angle that shows the entire fiield.

Then we can have a little Cover 2 defense lesson.

Listen here boys, and listen closely: this game is too complex for simple statements like he needs to get rid of the ball quicker or that we need to emphasize the short passing game. In the first half, the Vikes almost exclusively rushed four guys, and behind that ran a Tampa 2 like zone shell. That means there were 4 rushers, and 7 in coverage. A few of the sacks against Rodgers in the first half were instances where there were at least 2 or 3 of those passing options in intermediate-short passing routes (hitches, curls, flats, comeback routes, etc.). Rodgers would go through his progression. Nothing would be there. Result -- sack, or incompletion.

The idea that we were just looking "downfield" and that McCarthy coached a piss poor first half is I PROMISE ON MY FUCKING MOTHER'S LIFE a simple, easy, quick way out of the situation that isn't indicative of the truth: it's a fucking cop out, guys.

What changed, is that in the second half, it started to work. We were able to hit up the cover 2 in the seems. We were able to spread the ball around. McCarthy talks about "rhythm" in the offense. Don't be so quick to brush that aside. In the first half we had no rhythm. Simply, we couldn't string together many successful plays in a row. It was a combination of the play being called, Minnesota reacting damn near perfect (getting pressure with four, locking up the receiving targets with EXCELLENT underneath coverage), and Green Bay failing to execute. If ANYTHING we should have tried to get the ball downfield in the seams of Cover 2 MORE in the first half. This idea that McCarthy was stubborn and trying to force it downfield in the first half (and thus why our offense was anemic) is completely fallacious. Barring one stupid Rodgers bomb off play action (the one into double coverage) we actually seemed to try pretty hard to develop the quick passing game. It wasn't there in the first half. Not everything is an issue of playcalling! Sometimes defenses simply "click" and good things happen for them. Are we forgetting this is the game of football we are watching?

In the second half things worked, but it isn't as simple as saying "why weren't we doing that in the first half! wahhh... fire McCarthy." That is such an eerily simplistic analysis of a game that, let's be honest, to play or coach at this level requires a substantial knowledge that we the superfans don't know. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to understand it -- hell, I think we should. But I can promise you, things like "we need the quick passing game" fail on all accounts -- like the account of reality. The short stuff is hard to find against a Cover 2 defense -- particularly when it is a good defense. But that didn't stop us from trying to get the quick passing game going. I promise you, go back and watch the game.

/rant

I need a fucking drink. And it's 11 am.
William Henderson didn't have to run people over. His preferred method was levitation.
"I'm a reasonable man, get off my case."
wils0646
14 years ago
Good points Evad.

We sorely missed Jermichael to exploit the midfield seams like he did in the 1st game. The lack of protection also didn't help on a few of the sacks.
The Pack Will Be Back.
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
I would love to see a game with nothing but Blimp view. Ever time I saw a replay during the game that actually showed a wide angle, All I saw was WR 15-20 yards downfield with a FB or something as a dump off late in the 1st half. Which is all I have to base an opinion on.

In the second half, I did see more short routes.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

I remember last season many 'experts' were saying Marvin Lewis had lost his team. Meaning they just weren't listening to him and believing into his system.

I think Mike McCarthy is having that issue now. Jenkins and Woodson have both spoken out against the new scheme. Kampman I don't think much likes it. Jolly basically thinks his actions with that penalty were okay. I say he thinks they were okay because he said he's not going to change. I would expect a well disciplined player to say "i need to play smarter than that", instead of hearing him say "it didn't cost us the game".

On offense we have so many dumb holding calls. I counted two in the first half that weren't even called. Some say you can call holding on every play. I'm talking these two holding's were change the players direction holding.

I think he has the ability to take the team back. However, I think he's too stubborn to adapt to what he needs to in order to do so.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I must have missed it. WHen did Jenkins complain?
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (6h) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (7h) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (7h) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (7h) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (7h) : 4th
Zero2Cool (7h) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9h) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (10h) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (14h) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (14h) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
41m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

54m / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / beast

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.