Formo
14 years ago

How did you feel seeing your fathers press conference when he retired from the Green Bay Packers. Did you think it was going to be that hard for him to do? I knew it was going to be hard because what a lot of people didnt realize at the time was that there was a lot of pressure for him to do so. People deny it, but drafting a quarterback isnt exactly welcoming for a veteran.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I understand why she took this side of the issue, but who can fault the Packers at all here? Favre had been contemplating retirement since 2003. It was purely a business decision because of Favre's indecisiveness.

Family defends family, but rational people had to see it was the right decision.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

I think it's a) silly that they think drafting a QB is the equivalent of pushing him out the door, and b) annoying that they believe he shouldn't have to prove himself against drafted players when everyone else in the league has to.

"wils0646" wrote:

+1 Mass.
What were the Packers supposed to do? Wait until he quit, and THEN try to find a replacement?
Thats just lame. Talk about "biased".

Yeah.. When you guys look at it from a business standpoint and view people as tools, you guys are absolutely correct.

Problem is, NFL players are people. Humans. And, I know it's REALLY shocking, but they have emotions.

It's the equivalent of a guy that pours his blood, sweat and tears into a corporation, reaches the CEO type ranks, and then gets dumped for a less expensive young guy. Forgotten all the late nights, missed time away from family, countless of un-cashed in sick hours, etc.. None of it mattered. You better believe that former CEO and his family are going to be 'biased'. They were black-balled and crapped on.

EDIT: The above isn't my stance.. it's the opposite of Cheesey's and MassPackFan's view. I post it to bring both sides of the story to the table. Claiming the above as my view will garner you nothing but ignorance now that I added this disclaimer. You've been warned. 🙂
UserPostedImage
Thanks to TheViking88 for the sig!!
TheEngineer
14 years ago

It's the equivalent of a guy that pours his blood, sweat and tears into a corporation, reaches the CEO type ranks, and then gets dumped for a less expensive young guy. Forgotten all the late nights, missed time away from family, countless of un-cashed in sick hours, etc.. None of it mattered. You better believe that former CEO and his family are going to be 'biased'. They were black-balled and crapped on.

"Formo" wrote:

Ah, but that's not the whole story, is it Formo?

In any case,

"all the late nights, missed time away from family, countless of un-cashed in sick hours, etc.."

And if doing that means I get paid $12 million a year, I'll certainly sign up for such hardship!
blank
14 years ago

How did you feel seeing your fathers press conference when he retired from the Green Bay Packers. Did you think it was going to be that hard for him to do? I knew it was going to be hard because what a lot of people didnt realize at the time was that there was a lot of pressure for him to do so. People deny it, but drafting a quarterback isnt exactly welcoming for a veteran.

"Formo" wrote:

I understand why she took this side of the issue, but who can fault the Packers at all here? Favre had been contemplating retirement since 2003. It was purely a business decision because of Favre's indecisiveness.

Family defends family, but rational people had to see it was the right decision.

"Cheesey" wrote:

I think it's a) silly that they think drafting a QB is the equivalent of pushing him out the door, and b) annoying that they believe he shouldn't have to prove himself against drafted players when everyone else in the league has to.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

+1 Mass.
What were the Packers supposed to do? Wait until he quit, and THEN try to find a replacement?

"wils0646" wrote:

Yeah.. When you guys look at it from a business standpoint and view people as tools, you guys are absolutely correct.

Problem is, NFL players are people. Humans. And, I know it's REALLY shocking, but they have emotions.

EDIT: The above isn't my stance.. it's the opposite of Cheesey's and MassPackFan's view. I post it to bring both sides of the story to the table. Claiming the above as my view will garner you nothing but ignorance now that I added this disclaimer. You've been warned. =)

It's more like them hiring another young management type who could eventually rise up the ranks. No dumping involved. Actually the comparison gets even worse if you factor in the retirements, talk of retirement preceding that, etc... :lol: How DARE they! And how DARE you compare a game to a business.

I hate to say this... but I miss the good old days of Vikings fans despising Favre and everything about him. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with a Vikings fan playing Devil's Advocate in order to make us think outside the box regarding Favre's behavior.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

"TheEngineer" wrote:

Ah, but that's not the whole story, is it Formo?

In any case,

"all the late nights, missed time away from family, countless of un-cashed in sick hours, etc.."

And if doing that means I get paid $12 million a year, I'll certainly sign up for such hardship!

"Formo" wrote:

What's the point of having all that money if you don't have any time to spend it?

Sorry, I'll take $50k a year if that means I don't have to go to any workplace over $12 million a year and lose that time. 🙂
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
I'd take the $12 mill a year for a few years, because I know it'd pay off in spades time-wise later on in my life. I mean... the dude is 40. You have people who are 70 years old now and not able to retire.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Cheesey" wrote:

+1 Mass.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

EDIT: The above isn't my stance.. it's the opposite of Cheesey's and MassPackFan's view. I post it to bring both sides of the story to the table. Claiming the above as my view will garner you nothing but ignorance now that I added this disclaimer. You've been warned. =)

"wils0646" wrote:

It's more like them hiring another young management type who could eventually rise up the ranks. No dumping involved. Actually the comparison gets even worse if you factor in the retirements, talk of retirement preceding that, etc... :lol: How DARE they! And how DARE you compare a game to a business.

I hate to say this... but I miss the good old days of Vikings fans despising Favre and everything about him. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone with a Vikings fan playing Devil's Advocate in order to make us think outside the box regarding Favre's behavior.

Hey, I didn't compare the game to a business... You and Cheesey brought up that viewpoint. I just made the correlation. And the dumping WAS involved after the nondiscript pressure of the retirement.

My whole point of playing the Devil's Advocate is to force you guys to realize that it isn't JUST a business, just as it's not JUST a game. It's a combination of the two. People need to stop being surprised at the fact that NFL players show emotion, and have emotional responses to certain affairs that occur in their careers. That's all.
UserPostedImage
Formo
14 years ago

I'd take the $12 mill a year for a few years, because I know it'd pay off in spades time-wise later on in my life. I mean... the dude is 40. You have people who are 70 years old now and not able to retire.

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

If you are a single guy, or your family is just you and your wife, then I can agree.

But, you can't buy back any sort of lost time when you miss your child's first steps, or have any sort of impact on some of their most important years of their development.
UserPostedImage
Wade
  • Wade
  • Veteran Member
14 years ago

"Formo" wrote:

"Cheesey" wrote:

"MassPackersFan" wrote:

+1 Mass.

"wils0646" wrote:

Well said, Formo (even if it isn't your position.)

I hate the "it's just business" bullshit. Business doesn't require you to ignore the psychology of things. Sure, you make decisions that are hard. You have to. I get all that.

But to turn around and say, "I don't understand why they're taking things so personal." That oughta be seen as bullshit, as insensitive, as unacceptably ignorant, or some combination thereof. People don't put in 16 serious years in anything without getting emotionally invested.

Rationally we can all say "I understand" when someone says "we're going in a new direction". But put in that kind of time and there's a lot of other stuff that's going to be tugging at you. A lot more stuff that you (and those closest to you, who are also emotionally invested over that same time) are going to "take personal."

Going from 50K to 12000K doesn't make it less personal.

Yeah, I'd rather have a job paying 12 million that sucks than have a job paying 50K that sucks. But if after 16 years my employer starts saying things that suggest I'm not all that important after all, if my job starts sucking in a way that it didn't used to, right or wrong, I'm still going to take it personal if he's paying me 12 mil.

When I see people hassle Favre (or his family) for their emotional reaction -- I wonder whether they've been lucky enough never to have had to spend time in a an employee/employer relationship that has gone toxic. I haven't.

Personally, for some time now I've thought Favre a prima donna. But "taking it personal" -- that's something that could happen regardless of how prima donnaish or spoiled Favre had been. Something that could happen whether or not it was deserved. And in real life does. All the time.

I admire the heck out of people who, after a long period with an organization find themselves out on the street, can handle it with equanimity.

But I don't expect it to happen very often.
And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:2 (NKJV)
4PackGirl
14 years ago
i just gave my notice at my job yesterday so i can spend more time with my family. did i feel guilty? hell yes i did! it IS personal.

my bosses assured me that everything would be fine & even told me that anytime i needed a job, i had one there. i only worked for them part time for 6 months & i STILL feel guilty!

then again, i am a girl. ;)

edit: i'm saying it's personal on both sides of the issue, btw.
wils0646
14 years ago
I guess I can see him taking it personally when they drafted Rodgers, but couldn't he see the writing on the wall? They had no future backup to replace him if he retired. It had to happen sometime.

I wasn't really arguing about Rodgers taking over. Of course that situation was very emotional for everyone involved. I was talking about the drafting of Rodgers when he fell into our lap at #24. It was a no-brainer pick and Favre I guess didn't see it that way.

I don't remember, but did Favre announce his intentions to play before that 2005 draft?
The Pack Will Be Back.
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
5h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.