Nonstopdrivel
14 years ago

Bob Wolfley | SportsDay

Esiason list omits Rodgers 

Posted: Oct. 25, 2009 8:06 p.m.

UserPostedImage

Boomer Esiason of CBS-TV's "The NFL Today" on Sunday picked his top 10 quarterbacks in the league, based on their performances in the first six weeks of this season.

Aaron Rodgers of the Packers did not make the cut, which earned Esiason some barbs from two of his colleagues, Shannon Sharpe and Bill Cowher. Both Sharpe and Cowher argued Rodgers deserved to be on the list.

To cast his list, Esiason said he used the criteria of victories, touchdown passes, completion percentage, interceptions, sacks and intangibles (including leadership). Esiason's list in order:

1. Peyton Manning of Indianapolis; 2. Drew Brees of New Orleans; 3. Eli Manning of the New York Giants; 4. Brett Favre of Minnesota; 5. Kyle Orton of Denver; 6. Tom Brady of New England. 7. Ben Roethlisberger of Pittsburgh; 8. Matt Ryan of Atlanta; 9. Matt Schaub of Houston; 10. Joe Flacco of Baltimore.

Esiason said he had to leave some good quarterbacks off the list and named Philip Rivers of San Diego, Rodgers, Carson Palmer of Cincinnati, Jay Cutler of Chicago, Kurt Warner of Arizona and Donovan McNabb of Philadelphia.

Sharpe, who sits next to Esiason on the set of "The NFL Today," did not say which player he would take off the list, but argued that Rodgers deserved a place on it.

"The first two are concrete," Sharpe said, referring to Peyton Manning and Brees. "I can live with those two picks. The only guy that I had on the list that you didn't have was Aaron Rodgers. I know that he has taken 25 sacks through the first five games. But those eight touchdown passes and 104 quarterback rating, that's enough to get him on that list."

Cowher said he would have taken Schaub off the list and put Rodgers in his place.

"No. 1, you don't have Tom Brady in the top five," Cowher said. "Kyle Orton over Tom Brady? I'm going to pick one guy. (Compare) Aaron Rodgers and Matt Schaub. Third-down passing, pretty important stat. Aaron Rodgers, second in the National Football League, Schaub 16th. Fourth-quarter passing - that's where you separate quarterbacks. Aaron Rodgers 10, Schaub 20th. Quarterback rating encompasses it all. Aaron Rodgers five, Schaub six."

Casserly praises Cutler deal

Charley Casserly of CBS-TV said the two-year contract extension the Chicago Bears recently gave quarterback Jay Cutler was a deal that was good for both sides.

"From Cutler's point of view, you got $30 million of new money, $20 million guaranteed, and a $15-million-a-year average, which on new money ranks fourth in the NFL.

"From the Bears' point of view, it's a five-year average of $9.8 million, which ranks 15th in the NFL. So the Bears can be proud of that.

"The best thing, from a general manager's point of view, that I saw in this deal as I analyzed it is the Bears took money from the last year of the deal and moved it into the first year of the deal because they had salary cap room to do it.

"They left themselves with a salary of only $8.5 million the last year of the deal. As a GM, you never want to be negotiating off a high number at the end of the deal when you go to do an extension. Good job by the Bears."

Big, big show

Steve Mariucci of the NFL Network said the Vikings at Packers game Sunday at Lambeau Field is going to be big.

How big?

"It's going to be like the Beatles going on 'The Ed Sullivan Show.' It's going to be highly anticipated."

Holmgren's return to Seattle?

Reporter Michael Lombardi of the NFL Network suggested former Packers and Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren may want to return to Seattle as a general manager.

"The Bill Parcells bug is going around the NFL," Lombardi said. "A lot of coaches would like to return in a Bill Parcells-type of role. After speaking to two people very close to former Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren, they've indicated that Holmgren would like to return maybe as a general manager, and the place I believe he has his eye on is Seattle."

Parcells has the title of executive vice president-football operations for the Miami Dolphins, with authority over general manager Jeff Ireland.

"The Seahawks' current general manager, Tim Ruskell,is under a contract that expires at the end of this season," Lombardi said. "If Seahawks owner Paul Allen chose not to renew that contract, Holmgren still has a very good relationship with Allen, and he would like to go back there."

Call SportsDay at (414) 223-5531 or send e-mail to bwolfley@journalsentinel.com

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
I care less what "Boomer" has to say.. he can babble all he wants to raise a little more talk upon himself..

Rodgers performance, leadership and stats stack up against any QB in the league.. that includes Brady, Brees and Manning.

Most importantly his poise in the pocket and on the field matches up.. that is where the rubber meets the road.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Good. He'll look like an ass at the end of the year.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
14 years ago
Esiasan's a tool and always has been.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Greg C.
14 years ago
I would put Rodgers on the list, but at this point in the season you can make a case for a lot of guys. So I don't have a big problem with it.
blank
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Rodgers current stats:

Games      Rating       Com  Att    %     yrds ave   TD    INT
6	 	110.8	121	184	65.8	1702	9.3	11	2

Also, add 1 rushing TD. What's really impressive is he's this good with a horrible OL.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
14 years ago
Eli Manning? Matt Schaub? Eli Manning? Joe Flacco? Eli-freaking-Manning?

I'd replace those three with Rodgers, Rivers and Palmer.
yooperfan
14 years ago
I would put both Rodgers and Brady in the top 5 wit Palmer close behind.
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
Rodgers should be on that list. Schuab and Orton over him, come on. Orton has done well but would he really be the 5th QB I would pick if you had one QB for the SB or one QB for a game winning drive? Not even close, same with Schuab.

Also, I do not really see the hype about Rivers? He's good but I do not think he's anything special.
blank
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Who omits Rodgers?
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Martha Careful (15h) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (18h) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (20h) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (22h) : Flag?
Martha Careful (22h) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (23h) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : *game plan
Martha Careful (23-Apr) : IMHO, not even close. He is not a guy you game play around.
Mucky Tundra (23-Apr) : is Aiyuk worth a 1st rounder?
Zero2Cool (23-Apr) : 49ers are seeking a 1st round pick in exchange for WR Brandon Aiyuk
Mucky Tundra (22-Apr) : Based on Gutes comments, now I don't feel as silly having 13 picks in my mock the other day
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Zach Wilson to Broncos.
Zero2Cool (22-Apr) : Gutekunst says he'd love to have 13 or 14 picks. He's trading back huh lol
beast (22-Apr) : Someday we'll have a draft betting scandal
beast (21-Apr) : Sometimes looking extremely amazing, sometimes looking extremely lost
beast (21-Apr) : I haven't looked into the QBs, but some have suggested Maye has some of the most extremely inconsistent tape they've seen
beast (21-Apr) : Well it also sounds like Patriots are listening to trade offers, not that seriously considering any, but listening means they aren't locked
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Maye needs to be AFC
Mucky Tundra (21-Apr) : Not liking the idea of the Vikings getting Maye
Zero2Cool (21-Apr) : Vikings HC joked that he may or may not have sent flowers to Bob Kraft. That's where rumor came from.
beast (21-Apr) : Can't tell if this is real or BS, but some rumors about a possible Patriots/Vikings trade for #3 overall
dfosterf (21-Apr) : One playbook to my knowledge. I was shooting for facetious.
beast (20-Apr) : I'm not sure they have different playbooks for different OL positions, and Dillard run blocking is supposedly worse than his pass blocking..
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / TheKanataThrilla

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

7h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

8h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

9h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

26-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Nonstopdrivel

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / buckeyepackfan

25-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

24-Apr / Random Babble / beast

22-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.