Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

This was no ordinary press conference.

Brett Favre spoke to members of the Wisconsin media Thursday for the first time since his tearful retirement farewell 19 months ago, and the legendary quarterback was at times defensive, evasive and combative.

The normally long-winded Favre answered some of the telephone conference call questions tersely, and his usual folksy and easy-going manner occasionally gave way to defiance.

Favre is accustomed to a fawning media that laps up his every word. But after Favres messy departure from the Green Bay Packers organization last year and his roundabout arrival in Minnesota to play for the Vikings this season, he was asked some pointed questions.

Maybe Favre isnt used to that, or maybe he was trying to disguise some bitter feelings he harbors toward the Packers. Whatever it was, something was different about Favres demeanor in the run-up to Monday nights grudge match between the Packers and Vikings at the Metrodome.

Favre stated flatly that he has never been motivated by revenge against Packers General Manager Ted Thompson, who chose to trade the veteran quarterback last year and go with Aaron Rodgers as the Packers starter. When reminded that he was quoted earlier this year by Peter King of Sports Illustrated as wanting to stick it to Thompson, Favre said theres a difference between revenge and trying to prove somebody wrong.

Sticking it to somebody sure sounds like revenge to me, but Favre was in no mood to argue semantics. You can call it what you want, he said.

Favre said the reason he retired from the New York Jets after last season was because he didnt want to undergo arm surgery to prolong his career. He denied the notion that he was already planning a future in Minnesota back then, which is seemingly supported by his request to be released by the Jets.

Favres non-response about that was curious. First of all, none of that matters now anyway, he said. What matters is this game Monday night. Thats all that matters, and this team has welcomed me here. Its been a lot of fun. Its been a lot of work but Im having a good time, and thats all that matters.

It doesnt matter what jilted Packers fans think of him. If there are people disappointed and (they) picked sides, Im not surprised by it, he said.

So it is what it is. But I can't control that.

It doesnt matter about his damaged relationship with the Packers organization. Well deal with that later, he said.

It doesnt matter that he has never bothered to contact Rodgers. For what? he said.

It doesnt matter how others perceive his actions. I dont think I need to prove anything to anyone, he said.

This was not the Favre that Packers fans had come to know and love for 16 glorious years in Green Bay. He sounded different, but then, what do you expect from someone who feels perfectly comfortable dressed in purple?

This article grabs quotes unfully to fit his angle on the story. This article wreaks of "boss said I needed another article, so I squeezed this one out".

With that said, I thought it was kind of interesting.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
Lets assume for a second Favre says "yeah revenge and the sticking it to someone means the same thing". This article would be about how Favre wants revenge and he screwed the Vikings by coming back for one two games, etc.

The guy cannot win with certain people and thats fine. Thats life but its getting sooooooo old.

Its one of those damned if you, damned if you don't routines. Regardless of what he says or what he does, hes going to get crapped on by someone, so I think thats why he said I dont think I need to prove anything to anyone, IMO. He can't win, why even try at this point.
blank
Tezzy
14 years ago
Stop the presses! Favre hasn't personally contacted Rodgers? What kind of assinine question is that. I hope you're right Z2C that the article was writen in haste to a demanding editor. Because it was in my view a lame attempt at stirring the pot.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Cheesey
14 years ago
"Favre stated flatly that he has never been motivated by revenge against Packers General Manager Ted Thompson"

That one made the needle on my B.S. meter go off the charts.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago
well if rumors are true that Mike McCarthy wanted him out, not TT, then the question should be rephrased 🙂
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Cheesey
14 years ago

well if rumors are true that Mike McCarthy wanted him out, not Ted Thompson, then the question should be rephrased =)

"Tezzy" wrote:

Good point Tez!!!
Of course, even if it WAS Mike McCarthy who wanted him gone, BF STILL hates Ted Thompson for not getting Moss to come here........even though in reality it wasn't TT's fault.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
All I can say, is my opinion on Brett Favre has changed Quite dramatically, and its a damn shame. I looked up to him as a great team player and overall guy. I just don't get why in the world he would feel the need to stick it to the packers. He has damaged his legacy so much, its not even funny.
VikesFan82
14 years ago
Definitely time to move on. F' him. For as many good things as he did for your team, he probably did just as many bad. That NFC champ game against the Giants for one, followed by his selfish acts after the season...and those are only the most recent.

Now that has been scrub is on our team and likely going to cause the same problems....only we will see much less of the good. Count your blessings and just be glad he's gone.
Aaron Rodgers is looking like a damn good QB in the making so who the hell cares about Favre and his "legacy"...apparently not Favre. He didn't love GB, he loved winning games and playing football. He doesn't feel he owes GB anything, and frankly he probably doesn't. He's an NFL player, not a GB resident or Packer fan. He'll do whatever he thinks is in his best interest.
UserPostedImage
Trippster
14 years ago
Proving someone wrong and revenge are two seperate things.

I think he is or was trying to prove Thompson and GB wrong when he went to NY. I think this year, he is trying to win a SB and the Vikings are his best chance.

He is not a fan so the loyalty of not playing for the "enemy" does not apply. It is his career and job.

I have gone to the "enemy" in my career a few times.

Truth be said, I am sure that the Vikings are a fine organization. I hope he is happy there. I hope he has a good season with them.

I hope we kick their ass on monday too.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
VikesFan82
14 years ago

Proving someone wrong and revenge are two seperate things.

I think he is or was trying to prove Thompson and GB wrong when he went to NY. I think this year, he is trying to win a SB and the Vikings are his best chance.

He is not a fan so the loyalty of not playing for the "enemy" does not apply. It is his career and job.

I have gone to the "enemy" in my career a few times.

Truth be said, I am sure that the Vikings are a fine organization. I hope he is happy there. I hope he has a good season with them.

I hope we kick their ass on monday too.

"Trippster" wrote:

QFT! well put. (How does it feel to have a Vikings fan agree with you?) lol.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
19h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

23h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.