Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Source Link 

This was no ordinary press conference.

Brett Favre spoke to members of the Wisconsin media Thursday for the first time since his tearful retirement farewell 19 months ago, and the legendary quarterback was at times defensive, evasive and combative.

The normally long-winded Favre answered some of the telephone conference call questions tersely, and his usual folksy and easy-going manner occasionally gave way to defiance.

Favre is accustomed to a fawning media that laps up his every word. But after Favres messy departure from the Green Bay Packers organization last year and his roundabout arrival in Minnesota to play for the Vikings this season, he was asked some pointed questions.

Maybe Favre isnt used to that, or maybe he was trying to disguise some bitter feelings he harbors toward the Packers. Whatever it was, something was different about Favres demeanor in the run-up to Monday nights grudge match between the Packers and Vikings at the Metrodome.

Favre stated flatly that he has never been motivated by revenge against Packers General Manager Ted Thompson, who chose to trade the veteran quarterback last year and go with Aaron Rodgers as the Packers starter. When reminded that he was quoted earlier this year by Peter King of Sports Illustrated as wanting to stick it to Thompson, Favre said theres a difference between revenge and trying to prove somebody wrong.

Sticking it to somebody sure sounds like revenge to me, but Favre was in no mood to argue semantics. You can call it what you want, he said.

Favre said the reason he retired from the New York Jets after last season was because he didnt want to undergo arm surgery to prolong his career. He denied the notion that he was already planning a future in Minnesota back then, which is seemingly supported by his request to be released by the Jets.

Favres non-response about that was curious. First of all, none of that matters now anyway, he said. What matters is this game Monday night. Thats all that matters, and this team has welcomed me here. Its been a lot of fun. Its been a lot of work but Im having a good time, and thats all that matters.

It doesnt matter what jilted Packers fans think of him. If there are people disappointed and (they) picked sides, Im not surprised by it, he said.

So it is what it is. But I can't control that.

It doesnt matter about his damaged relationship with the Packers organization. Well deal with that later, he said.

It doesnt matter that he has never bothered to contact Rodgers. For what? he said.

It doesnt matter how others perceive his actions. I dont think I need to prove anything to anyone, he said.

This was not the Favre that Packers fans had come to know and love for 16 glorious years in Green Bay. He sounded different, but then, what do you expect from someone who feels perfectly comfortable dressed in purple?

This article grabs quotes unfully to fit his angle on the story. This article wreaks of "boss said I needed another article, so I squeezed this one out".

With that said, I thought it was kind of interesting.
UserPostedImage
RedSoxExcel
14 years ago
Lets assume for a second Favre says "yeah revenge and the sticking it to someone means the same thing". This article would be about how Favre wants revenge and he screwed the Vikings by coming back for one two games, etc.

The guy cannot win with certain people and thats fine. Thats life but its getting sooooooo old.

Its one of those damned if you, damned if you don't routines. Regardless of what he says or what he does, hes going to get crapped on by someone, so I think thats why he said I dont think I need to prove anything to anyone, IMO. He can't win, why even try at this point.
blank
Tezzy
14 years ago
Stop the presses! Favre hasn't personally contacted Rodgers? What kind of assinine question is that. I hope you're right Z2C that the article was writen in haste to a demanding editor. Because it was in my view a lame attempt at stirring the pot.
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Cheesey
14 years ago
"Favre stated flatly that he has never been motivated by revenge against Packers General Manager Ted Thompson"

That one made the needle on my B.S. meter go off the charts.
UserPostedImage
Tezzy
14 years ago
well if rumors are true that Mike McCarthy wanted him out, not TT, then the question should be rephrased 🙂
On top of every beard grows a man.
"The Bears are shell-shocked... and it's breaking my heart."
Cheesey
14 years ago

well if rumors are true that Mike McCarthy wanted him out, not Ted Thompson, then the question should be rephrased =)

"Tezzy" wrote:

Good point Tez!!!
Of course, even if it WAS Mike McCarthy who wanted him gone, BF STILL hates Ted Thompson for not getting Moss to come here........even though in reality it wasn't TT's fault.
UserPostedImage
El3ment12
14 years ago
All I can say, is my opinion on Brett Favre has changed Quite dramatically, and its a damn shame. I looked up to him as a great team player and overall guy. I just don't get why in the world he would feel the need to stick it to the packers. He has damaged his legacy so much, its not even funny.
VikesFan82
14 years ago
Definitely time to move on. F' him. For as many good things as he did for your team, he probably did just as many bad. That NFC champ game against the Giants for one, followed by his selfish acts after the season...and those are only the most recent.

Now that has been scrub is on our team and likely going to cause the same problems....only we will see much less of the good. Count your blessings and just be glad he's gone.
Aaron Rodgers is looking like a damn good QB in the making so who the hell cares about Favre and his "legacy"...apparently not Favre. He didn't love GB, he loved winning games and playing football. He doesn't feel he owes GB anything, and frankly he probably doesn't. He's an NFL player, not a GB resident or Packer fan. He'll do whatever he thinks is in his best interest.
UserPostedImage
Trippster
14 years ago
Proving someone wrong and revenge are two seperate things.

I think he is or was trying to prove Thompson and GB wrong when he went to NY. I think this year, he is trying to win a SB and the Vikings are his best chance.

He is not a fan so the loyalty of not playing for the "enemy" does not apply. It is his career and job.

I have gone to the "enemy" in my career a few times.

Truth be said, I am sure that the Vikings are a fine organization. I hope he is happy there. I hope he has a good season with them.

I hope we kick their ass on monday too.
"Let Your Light Shine!"
VikesFan82
14 years ago

Proving someone wrong and revenge are two seperate things.

I think he is or was trying to prove Thompson and GB wrong when he went to NY. I think this year, he is trying to win a SB and the Vikings are his best chance.

He is not a fan so the loyalty of not playing for the "enemy" does not apply. It is his career and job.

I have gone to the "enemy" in my career a few times.

Truth be said, I am sure that the Vikings are a fine organization. I hope he is happy there. I hope he has a good season with them.

I hope we kick their ass on monday too.

"Trippster" wrote:

QFT! well put. (How does it feel to have a Vikings fan agree with you?) lol.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

3h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

6h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

18-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.