Dulak
  • Dulak
  • Veteran Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090917/PKR01/90917177/1058 

This is how Tramon Williams remembers how hard he worked to get here.

Its January. Hes coming off a breakthrough season in which he became the Green Bay Packers full-time No. 3 cornerback and had five interceptions. He has a fiance to see, a wedding to plan and a new house outside Houston waiting for him.

So, where does Williams go?

Back to his old apartment, to campus at Louisiana Tech, to compete with players at his alma mater who harbor long-shot dreams of being the next Tramon Williams.

I always stay around hungry guys. That keeps you fresh, Williams said after practice Thursday. When I went to Houston, I worked out a couple times at Plex whole bunch of NFL guys, guys who already got it. Its a good workout, but its not that competitive environment like college.

So, Williams works out with his old college teammate, Byron Santiago, who had a brief stay with the Packers in 2006, months before Williams came aboard as a practice-squad guy. All of the other faces on campus are new younger and younger, not unlike how Williams remembers himself as a walk-on seven years ago.

He runs with them. Lifts with them. Jumps into seven-on-seven drills when they let him.

Its the offseason routine that got Williams here, so why change now?

Ask anyone who has watched Williams on a daily basis this offseason, and theyll tell you at 26 years old, hes only getting better.

He would be a starting corner on 28, 29 of the 32 teams maybe more, cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. said. Hes a guy that can be an elite corner in this league.
Role player

In effect, Williams is a starter for the Packers, who like most teams play three cornerbacks in their nickel defense on a large chunk of snaps as opponents increasingly spread out their offenses.

The Packers acknowledged that much by announcing the names of Williams and nickel linebacker Brandon Chillar along with their 11 base defense starters before Sundays opener against Chicago, then played nickel on 66.2 percent of snaps against the Bears tight end-heavy offense in a 21-15 win. Williams responded by recording his sixth interception since Week 4 of last season one more than teammate Charles Woodson and the most of any NFL cornerback in that span and getting his hands on two other balls.

Based on production alone, its easy to make a case for the Packers having the best three-deep cornerback group in the NFL, especially with Woodson and fellow veteran Al Harris coming off Pro Bowl seasons. Unlike with predecessors such as Patrick Dendy and Jarrett Bush, the Packers can bump Woodson into the nickel over the slot receiver without major fears about Williams matching up with a No. 1 or 2 receiver on the edge.

That makes a difference against opponents like the Cincinnati Bengals, who will try to spread things out on Sunday at Lambeau Field with their talented receivers corps of Chad Ochocinco, Laveranues Coles, Andrew Caldwell and Chris Henry.

If you dont have (a third solid corner), then it doesnt take long for your opponents to find him, defensive coordinator Dom Capers said. Its become more of a matchup game. People have so much tape to study that they can figure out, if youve got a weak link, thats where theyre going to go after. And it affects your planning, too, because if youve got somebody you have to almost always cover up, it really limits what you can do game planning-wise.
Avoiding the big one

The primary knock on Williams last season was a propensity to give up explosive plays.

When injuries hit late last season and coaches moved Woodson to safety to get Williams on the field, Williams had arguably his worst two-game stretch since entering the lineup. In a loss Nov. 30 against Carolina, he allowed completions of 44 and 36 yards and was called for three penalties. The next week, in a loss to Houston, Williams had an interception and a fumble recovery but also allowed a 58-yard touchdown among five catches against him for 153 yards.

But there is optimism the switch to Capers 3-4 defensive scheme, which employs far more zone coverage concepts than Bob Sanders old quarters-match scheme, will allow all of the defensive backs more opportunities to peak into the backfield without getting into trouble. Williams interception on Sunday came out of a Cover-2 look in which Williams was supposed to stay outside but gambled underneath the route because he had safety help deep.

Weve got to keep balls in front of us, and with the vision, theres enough plays for everybody, Whitt said. Youre going to see that ball thrown and youll be able to go get it. That was an issue last year, giving up explosives, but hes really taken care of it. He hasnt done it in practice, and weve only played one game this year, but he hasnt given up an explosive in the game either.
Moving ahead

Theres no question Williams has the physical tools to continue his ascent decent speed (4.59 in the 40 coming of college), long arms, exceptional vertical leap, an uncanny ability to catch the flash of the ball without tracking it in the air.

Perhaps the best decision Williams made in the offseason was taking out an insurance policy and taking part in voluntary practices despite refusing to sign his minimum tender as an exclusive-rights free agent. He kept up with teammates as they learned Capers scheme and had his good faith rewarded with a one-year, $905,980 contract almost double the $460,000 he was due under the tender.

Depending on looming labor negotiations, Williams could become a restricted free agent in March and almost certainly would draw significant interest. Considering the advancing ages of Harris (34) and Woodson (32), though, the Packers probably would be inclined to do what it takes to keep him.

I want to definitely be here long term, no doubt about it, said Williams, who got married three days after June minicamp to his longtime sweetheart, the former Shantrell Moore. Aint nothing like Green Bay. I know I dont want to go anywhere else. But the rest is just up to them.

Either way, Williams says hell be back on campus again after the season, reminding himself of how hard he has to work to stay here.

After all, it was less than three years ago that Williams was flying from one tryout to the next, one rejection to the next, until the Packers called to offer him a chance on Thanksgiving Day.

Nothing has been given to him, Whitt said. Hes outworked people to get what he has. He has outworked people, and God gave him a lot of ability. Hes not afraid to work, and he understands what it takes, what the work is to get the details, the little parts of it.

Thats whats making him a good player, and thats why Whitt paused and made an upward motion with his right hand he keeps going this way.

"GBPgazette" wrote:

and to think - this guy is on our team. I feel blessed to have him as a Packer
PackFanWithTwins
14 years ago
With Williams out there, I am always praying for 3rd and long. And will continue to do so until Al hangs up his shoes.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
RainX
14 years ago
Several good players that deserve extensions. Probably not enough cap space to go around. It'd suck to lose Williams to FA after spending the past couple of years grooming him as a replacement for Harris or Woodson.
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
they'll keep williams.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
i feel very confident and comfortable with Williams. even with the blunders last year. the whole defense was blundering...not just him.

I agree with Twinkiegorilla.

bozz_2006 wrote:

Rockmolder
14 years ago

they'll keep williams.

"bozz_2006" wrote:

Think so as well. Even if there is a cap and we would get in trouble, I think that Harris will be the man out. Not Williams.
Felipe7777777
14 years ago
i agree, i think they'll try anything to keep Williams, especially if he still plays at a high level they hopefully will after grooming him for the starting spot
blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
if he plays well every game until the bye week, I would assume they would quickly approach his agent about a contract extension.
UserPostedImage
LambeauEast
14 years ago
Good read...nice and hungry.
UserPostedImage
Brettizzle
14 years ago
That's pretty cool that he works out with "hungry" guys. I'm sure it really makes him appreciate what he has even more. I hope we have him around here for a while I feel comfortable that he can be a good starter for us when Al decides to leave (which I hope isn't for a few years).
Jermichael Finley

We will be in Indianapolis

Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (11m) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (11m) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (2h) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (2h) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (2h) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (3h) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (3h) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (14h) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (15h) : damn those vikings
beast (16h) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (16h) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (16h) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (16h) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (23h) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (23h) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
beast (25-Apr) : Fuck
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : Kanata, I will be when I'm on my lunch later
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Love you NSD
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Huh. I guess the F-word is censored in this fan shout.
Nonstopdrivel (25-Apr) : Anyone who doesn't hang out in the chat probably smokes pole.
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : GoPackGo Thinking CB is the pick tonight
TheKanataThrilla (25-Apr) : Anyone hanging out in the chat tonight?
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : whoa...49ers have had trade conversations about both Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk
Zero2Cool (25-Apr) : I hope they take a Punter at 9th overall. Be bold!
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I may end up eating those words but I think they need a lot more talent then their 4 picks can provide
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : I really hope they stand pat and Draft a WR
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : @DMRussini
Mucky Tundra (25-Apr) : The Chicago Bears are very open for business at 9 and telling teams they are ready to move for the right price, per source
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend Penei Soul 4yrs - 112mil
buckeyepackfan (24-Apr) : Lions extend St. Brown 4 years 120mil and
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : Now look, trading up to 13 to take a TE might not seem like a good idea later but it will be later!
dfosterf (24-Apr) : (Your trade up mock post)
dfosterf (24-Apr) : Mucky- The only thing fun to watch would be me flipping the f out if Gute goes up to 13 and grabs Brock Bowers, lol
beast (24-Apr) : DT Byron Murphy II, Texas... whom some believe is the next Aaron Donald (or the closest thing to Donald)
Zero2Cool (24-Apr) : What? And who?
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : *sad Mucky noises*
Mucky Tundra (24-Apr) : @JoeJHoyt Murphy said he’s been told he won’t slide past pick No. 16.
wpr (23-Apr) : Just about time to watch Sonny Weaver stick it to the seahags. I never get tired of it.
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4m / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

11h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

12h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

13h / Green Bay Packers Talk / earthquake

21h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Mucky Tundra

27-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.