earthquake
14 years ago
I've been following the live blogs on JSO and something that has caught my eye is the level of intensity they seem to be playing with in TC this year. Personally when they were losing in games last year i just wanted to see them go out and knock the other team around, they seemed soft and didnt play with the sort of intensity that is required to win. So i'm really excited to see what happens when they start playing for real in the pre-season games.

Here are a few choice quotes from today:

Greg_A_Bedard: First real fight of camp between spitZ and bishop and more. Came on lumpkin fumble

Greg_A_Bedard: Another fight as jones scores

Greg_A_Bedard: McCarthy calls whole team in. Bishop again in it. Greene got knocked back and his hat knocked off.

Greg_A_Bedard: Poppinga absolutely lays out lumpkin and a big tussle goes right into the stands area as meredith and others take offense. No tackling

Greg_A_Bedard: Coaches tell both sides to get some water separately. We saw none of this last year

TomSilverstein: ray Nitschke would be proud of the scraps going on on his field

Greg_A_Bedard: Jennings just joked to Greene: "Stop starting stuff. I told you u need to put on pads."

Greg_A_Bedard: Greene praised thompson for playing with an attitude. That's whay its all about for him. But right now matthews is running away with it

Greg_A_Bedard: McCarthy did not like poppingas hit. Violated ethics of not hitting a teammate in a compromised position.

Greg_A_Bedard: But he did like the fights. "Probably shouldn't be saying this but (shoot) we were 6-10 last year and we didn't have a fight in camp....

Greg_A_Bedard: So we're ahead in that respect. "

blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
gotta love a little competitive action.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Poppinga needs to watch himself, he is making a lot of money for a backup.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Maybe so.. but damn that is the kind of defense I want to see from my Packers... Maybe waiting for a different color of jersey... but either way.. that is the type of attitude and intensity I want to hear.

Sick'em boys.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
This rules... 'nuff said really.

... and I understand why Rodgers is struggling, but this is PERFECT for him. He is a year wiser and facing an expansive as hell 3-4 defense playbook. This will ONLY be good for his development.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Stevetarded
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Maybe so.. but damn that is the kind of defense I want to see from my Packers... Maybe waiting for a different color of jersey... but either way.. that is the type of attitude and intensity I want to hear.

Sick'em boys.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

The violence is great when it is within the rules... not so great when it's a cheap shot on an injury prone player with tons of potential at a position that we need depth.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
JSO writers seem to be thinking the same thing.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52480767.html 

The Fighting Packers?
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Aug. 4, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Green Bay -- Packers fans hoping to see their team show some more fight this season got their wish on the fourth day of training camp as three physical skirmishes broke out during a hotly contested scrimmage session between the offense and defense in the evening practice.

"I probably shouldn't even say this, but we were 6-10 last year and we didn't have a damn fight all training camp," coach Mike McCarthy said. "So I guess we're off to a hell of a start."

The most dangerous of the fights was the last and occurred after linebacker Brady Poppinga decleated running back Kregg Lumpkin just as he caught a pass on the sideline closest to the stands. Offensive linemen Jamon Meredith and T.J. Lang immediately went after Poppinga and a near melee ensued and spilled toward the railing in front of the stands.

It took several minutes to break up and then McCarthy told both sides to get a drink a water. The rest of practice was conducted without incident.

The Packers prohibit full tackling in practice.

"I actually didn't see Brady's hit but it's unnecessary," McCarthy said. "We talk about it all the time. It's part of our practice ethic. When you have a teammate in a compromised position, we don't want to hurt anybody. I was told what happened and had a chance to talk to Brady about it. But we're not looking for that. I'm not looking for a player to be hurt when it's unnecessary. That's not what we're teaching."

Two other near-fights centered around linebacker Desmond Bishop, who has been one of the most physical players in camp to this point.

The first came on a Lumpkin fumble and pitted Spitz against Bishop before several others jumped in. Linebackers coach Kevin Greene attempted to break up the second skirmish but was knocked back and his hat flew off.

McCarthy called the team together after the second fight but it obviously didn't prevent the final scuffle.

Overall, McCarthy was happy with the sixth practice in four days. The Packers head into an off day.

"This practice usually has a lot of energy in it the night before they are off," McCarthy said. "I mean, they're going against each other every day. I think the energy level, the spirit is normal. I'm fine with the activity as long as it's during the play. I didn't appreciate some of the stuff that was going on after the plays were over. I think we cleaned that up and I thought we had a hell of a practice. I thought the defense had a heck of a night tonight."

blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Sick'em boys.

"pack93z" wrote:

The violence is great when it is within the rules... not so great when it's a cheap shot on an injury prone player with tons of potential at a position that we need depth.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

I agree. This is not the time and place to do stuff like this. Although I do like the aggressiveness, and I do hope that we'll see this in games, we really don't have to have nearly cheap shots (As he didn't know it was coming) in practice.

As for tons of potential in a place we need depth... Currently, that'd mean that we'd have to carry a 4th HB, as Wynn has been doing amazing and is catching up to Brandon Jacobs. I think that he's currently fighting to cling on to a roster spot. But that's a whole different story.
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Sick'em boys.

"pack93z" wrote:

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Of course I don't want him taking a cheap shot, albeit, other than the no "full" tackling rule (... Bullshit) he hit a player that was making a catch. But again.. he probably shouldn't have laid him out.

But as a coach.. I would rather have to pull the reigns back on a struggling defense than trying to get them amp'd up to play.

No full hitting.. that is like giving a pit bull a bone and telling him to gum it only.. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
What's interesting is that I read somewhere (maybe ESPN?) that it is a very comfortable, almost quiet atmosphere at Packers TC this year with no drama or stresses. So this fighting is all a product of intensity getting ready for the season.

Love it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

6h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

7h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

8h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

12h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

12h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

21h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

22h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

4-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.