earthquake
14 years ago
I've been following the live blogs on JSO and something that has caught my eye is the level of intensity they seem to be playing with in TC this year. Personally when they were losing in games last year i just wanted to see them go out and knock the other team around, they seemed soft and didnt play with the sort of intensity that is required to win. So i'm really excited to see what happens when they start playing for real in the pre-season games.

Here are a few choice quotes from today:

Greg_A_Bedard: First real fight of camp between spitZ and bishop and more. Came on lumpkin fumble

Greg_A_Bedard: Another fight as jones scores

Greg_A_Bedard: McCarthy calls whole team in. Bishop again in it. Greene got knocked back and his hat knocked off.

Greg_A_Bedard: Poppinga absolutely lays out lumpkin and a big tussle goes right into the stands area as meredith and others take offense. No tackling

Greg_A_Bedard: Coaches tell both sides to get some water separately. We saw none of this last year

TomSilverstein: ray Nitschke would be proud of the scraps going on on his field

Greg_A_Bedard: Jennings just joked to Greene: "Stop starting stuff. I told you u need to put on pads."

Greg_A_Bedard: Greene praised thompson for playing with an attitude. That's whay its all about for him. But right now matthews is running away with it

Greg_A_Bedard: McCarthy did not like poppingas hit. Violated ethics of not hitting a teammate in a compromised position.

Greg_A_Bedard: But he did like the fights. "Probably shouldn't be saying this but (shoot) we were 6-10 last year and we didn't have a fight in camp....

Greg_A_Bedard: So we're ahead in that respect. "

blank
bozz_2006
14 years ago
gotta love a little competitive action.
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
14 years ago
Poppinga needs to watch himself, he is making a lot of money for a backup.
blank
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Maybe so.. but damn that is the kind of defense I want to see from my Packers... Maybe waiting for a different color of jersey... but either way.. that is the type of attitude and intensity I want to hear.

Sick'em boys.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
DarkaneRules
14 years ago
This rules... 'nuff said really.

... and I understand why Rodgers is struggling, but this is PERFECT for him. He is a year wiser and facing an expansive as hell 3-4 defense playbook. This will ONLY be good for his development.
Circular Arguments: They are a heck of an annoyance
Stevetarded
14 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

Maybe so.. but damn that is the kind of defense I want to see from my Packers... Maybe waiting for a different color of jersey... but either way.. that is the type of attitude and intensity I want to hear.

Sick'em boys.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

The violence is great when it is within the rules... not so great when it's a cheap shot on an injury prone player with tons of potential at a position that we need depth.
blank
earthquake
14 years ago
JSO writers seem to be thinking the same thing.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/52480767.html 

The Fighting Packers?
By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
Aug. 4, 2009 9:44 p.m.

Green Bay -- Packers fans hoping to see their team show some more fight this season got their wish on the fourth day of training camp as three physical skirmishes broke out during a hotly contested scrimmage session between the offense and defense in the evening practice.

"I probably shouldn't even say this, but we were 6-10 last year and we didn't have a damn fight all training camp," coach Mike McCarthy said. "So I guess we're off to a hell of a start."

The most dangerous of the fights was the last and occurred after linebacker Brady Poppinga decleated running back Kregg Lumpkin just as he caught a pass on the sideline closest to the stands. Offensive linemen Jamon Meredith and T.J. Lang immediately went after Poppinga and a near melee ensued and spilled toward the railing in front of the stands.

It took several minutes to break up and then McCarthy told both sides to get a drink a water. The rest of practice was conducted without incident.

The Packers prohibit full tackling in practice.

"I actually didn't see Brady's hit but it's unnecessary," McCarthy said. "We talk about it all the time. It's part of our practice ethic. When you have a teammate in a compromised position, we don't want to hurt anybody. I was told what happened and had a chance to talk to Brady about it. But we're not looking for that. I'm not looking for a player to be hurt when it's unnecessary. That's not what we're teaching."

Two other near-fights centered around linebacker Desmond Bishop, who has been one of the most physical players in camp to this point.

The first came on a Lumpkin fumble and pitted Spitz against Bishop before several others jumped in. Linebackers coach Kevin Greene attempted to break up the second skirmish but was knocked back and his hat flew off.

McCarthy called the team together after the second fight but it obviously didn't prevent the final scuffle.

Overall, McCarthy was happy with the sixth practice in four days. The Packers head into an off day.

"This practice usually has a lot of energy in it the night before they are off," McCarthy said. "I mean, they're going against each other every day. I think the energy level, the spirit is normal. I'm fine with the activity as long as it's during the play. I didn't appreciate some of the stuff that was going on after the plays were over. I think we cleaned that up and I thought we had a hell of a practice. I thought the defense had a heck of a night tonight."

blank
Rockmolder
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Sick'em boys.

"pack93z" wrote:

The violence is great when it is within the rules... not so great when it's a cheap shot on an injury prone player with tons of potential at a position that we need depth.

"Stevetarded" wrote:

I agree. This is not the time and place to do stuff like this. Although I do like the aggressiveness, and I do hope that we'll see this in games, we really don't have to have nearly cheap shots (As he didn't know it was coming) in practice.

As for tons of potential in a place we need depth... Currently, that'd mean that we'd have to carry a 4th HB, as Wynn has been doing amazing and is catching up to Brandon Jacobs. I think that he's currently fighting to cling on to a roster spot. But that's a whole different story.
Pack93z
14 years ago

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Sick'em boys.

"pack93z" wrote:

"Stevetarded" wrote:

Of course I don't want him taking a cheap shot, albeit, other than the no "full" tackling rule (... Bullshit) he hit a player that was making a catch. But again.. he probably shouldn't have laid him out.

But as a coach.. I would rather have to pull the reigns back on a struggling defense than trying to get them amp'd up to play.

No full hitting.. that is like giving a pit bull a bone and telling him to gum it only.. 😉
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
What's interesting is that I read somewhere (maybe ESPN?) that it is a very comfortable, almost quiet atmosphere at Packers TC this year with no drama or stresses. So this fighting is all a product of intensity getting ready for the season.

Love it.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (17-May) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
1h / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.