millertime
14 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/46423567.html 

Harrell knows he must rise
His first two years marked by injury

By Todd Rosiak of the Journal Sentinel

Posted: May. 28, 2009

Green Bay - The bar has definitely been lowered for Justin Harrell.

Not that the Green Bay Packers necessarily think anything less of their 2007 first-round draft choice, but after two consecutive years of major back problems and minimal production, just keeping him on the field for a full season in 2009 appears to be priority No. 1.

"Really, my expectations for Justin are to stay healthy," coach Mike McCarthy said after his team's first open offseason practice Thursday.

It was a sentiment echoed by Harrell, who is penciled in as the starting right end in the Packers' new 3-4 defensive scheme. Considering he's accounted for 37 tackles in 13 games since being selected 16th overall out of Tennessee, it's rapidly becoming put-up-or-shut-up time for Harrell - a fact he willingly acknowledges.

"A huge year," he said. "This is my third year here. I haven't really did anything since I've been here, so I look at it as this is one of the biggest years of my life."

Injuries have plagued the 6-foot-4, 320-pounder from the outset of his career in Green Bay.

He was drafted by the Packers despite missing almost his entire senior season at Tennessee after tearing a biceps tendon, and has battled ankle and hip injuries in addition to his back issue, which required multiple surgeries after his rookie year.

Billed as a physically dominant tackle, Harrell managed 24 tackles in 2007 and spent the first seven games of 2008 on the physically unable to perform list while his back continued to heal. He wound up being activated on Nov. 1 but managed just 13 tackles before missing the final three games with the hip issue.

Anytime youre missing practices and missing games, and youre not able to go out there and show what youre capable of doing, being a draft pick and not being able to show it, its definitely frustrating, he said.

But youve just got to continue to work and know one day itll be healed, and just move on.

Harrell said he has no physical limitations placed on him with regard to his offseason work in the weight room and on the field.

I feel 100 percent. Its a big relief, he said. Its been a long time since the backs felt like its feeling right now. It feels like I never really hurt it. It took a long time, Ive seen a lot of doctors and we finally got it corrected and Im trying to move on now.

Harrell, who played on the inside in the 4-3, seems to have found a new lease on life with his return to health and the Packers switch to the 3-4. With Harrell possessing the requisite size, quickness and skill, Green Bays coaching staff appears anxious to see what he can bring to the table in the new scheme.

Justin has been impressive so far in my opinion, said defensive line coach Mike Trgovac. Hes a very bright kid. He certainly has the athletic ability and the size to do what were asking him to do and Ive been very pleased with not only his effort, but you can tell that it means something to him. Hes been very determined.

I never saw his game face or whatever you want to call it before, but hes a very determined young man.

Well aware of the doubters, Harrell is more concerned at this point with simply remaining healthy to be able to prove to the Packers hes still the player they believed he was when they selected him.

I want to stay healthy this whole year and play in every game, he said. If I do that, I feel my ability will produce on its own. The main goal for me is just to try and make it through the year healthy and see what happens from there.

Roll call: Linebacker Clay Matthews, the second of Green Bay's two first-round draft picks last month, was held out of practice after straining his hamstring in practice Wednesday and is considered day-to-day.

Seventh-round draft pick Brad Jones, also a linebacker, was held out with groin strain, and free-agent wide receiver Lorne Sam with an abdominal strain.

A number of veterans also sat out practice with various ailments. Safety Atari Bigby (ankle), center Scott Wells (shoulder), tackles Breno Giacomini (ankle) and Chad Clifton (shoulders, knees) and defensive end Cullen Jenkins (ankle) were in attendance in the Don Hutson Center, but spent practice rehabilitating.

Linebacker Nick Barnett (knee) was excused for personal reasons, according to McCarthy.

Cornerback Charles Woodson, safety Nick Collins and wide receiver Donald Driver - all veterans - also weren't in attendance for the voluntary practice.

"As far as the guys that are not here, Donald Driver, Charles Woodson, Nick Collins, no different than what we have done in the past," McCarthy said. "I know everybody here understands that, whether it's personal reasons, business reasons, whatever they are, I'm not going to discuss those."

Cornerback Brandon Underwood, a sixth-round draft pick, and free-agent running back Tyrell Sutton are finishing their course work at Cincinnati and Northwestern, respectively. Tight end Travis Dekker, a rookie free agent out of Air Force, was placed on the reserve/military list Wednesday.

Musical chairs: The multitude of injuries on the offensive line has led to some major shuffling.

Replacing Clifton at left tackle was Tony Moll, and with Jason Spitz now at center, second-year man Josh Sitton was running with the No. 1 unit at right guard. Third-year man Allen Barbre was at right tackle, where he'll eventually have competition from Giacomini as the two audition to replace longtime starter Mark Tauscher.

"I think as a coach you kind of take things as they come, and it is what it is," said offensive coordinator Joe Philbin. "Mark's done an excellent job here as a player, but we're going to see what we have."

Rookie fifth-rounder Jamon Meredith stayed at left tackle with the No. 2 unit, while rookie third-rounder T.J. Lang played both right guard and right tackle.

In the fold: Cornerback Tramon Williams, an exclusive rights free agent who'd been practicing despite the lack of a contract, signed a one-year deal with the team Thursday. According to nationalfootballpost.com, the deal is worth a total of $900,000 and includes a $375,000 signing bonus. Williams started nine games and had five interceptions last season.

While I have learned never to trust or put too much faith in Justin Harrell, his presence on the field could really help out out defense this summer. Harrell has the perfect frame for the 3-4 end position and has all the physical tools to be a solid contributor.

Looking New England, defense, I see that they invested 3 first round picks in four years into their starting defensive line (Ty Warren, Vince Wilfork, Richard Seymour).

IF HARRELL STAYS HEALTHY,

Our future D-line looks like,

Harrell (1st rounder)
Raji (1st rounder)
Jenkins (4-3 stud)

I think the d-line is the most critical part of not only the 3-4, but of all defenses in general. It all starts up front. Hopefully, Harrell will help out in the trenches this year.
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Good article. Thanks.

I heard or read that Matthews was pissed about being held out of practice.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
that's great if Matthews is pissed. I have always thought Harrell has the physical skills to be dominant, let's see him stay healthy. PLEASE!
UserPostedImage
Dulak
14 years ago
We had a weak D line last year once jenkins went down; I'd like to see what we could do with a healthy line consistning of ...

Pickett, raji, jenkins, harrell, jolly - rotate guys in that need a rest
Pack93z
14 years ago
"The bar has definitely been lowered"

Maybe in some eyes, but I think the more appropriate analogy is the "Bell is about to toll."

They have given Harrell two offseasons to recover and be healthy at the outset of training camp.. it has failed both times. I think it has been made clear it is now or never pal.. step up or we will step you out.

I am excited that he feels the best he has in years.. great.. now step it up and help your mates out.

I hate the coddling nonsense we extend to some.. especially those that get paid millions to play a game. No one cuddled me into learning to walking again... I see no reason to cuddle Harrell either.. earn it.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
doddpower
14 years ago
If Harrell could stay healthy that would be AWESOME. I think he could be a really, really good 3-4 Defensive End, in time. He could definitely totally eat up a Tackle and / or Tight End and could really free some space up for our linebackers.

I would love to have a mad, healthy Harrell out there on the end!
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

"The bar has definitely been lowered"

Maybe in some eyes, but I think the more appropriate analogy is the "Bell is about to toll."

They have given Harrell two offseasons to recover and be healthy at the outset of training camp.. it has failed both times. I think it has been made clear it is now or never pal.. step up or we will step you out.

I am excited that he feels the best he has in years.. great.. now step it up and help your mates out.

I hate the coddling nonsense we extend to some.. especially those that get paid millions to play a game. No one cuddled me into learning to walking again... I see no reason to cuddle Harrell either.. earn it.

"pack93z" wrote:

Not trying to take the debbie downer road here, but I believe Harrell said he felt the best he has in years last year too just before he busteded his back. 😞
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago
Whatever it takes pal...

Source of course.... 

Justin Harrell was skeptical about trying alternative medicine on his ailing back, but hes become a believer.

Four weeks after visiting Dennis Plansky, a Green Bay chiropractor who specializes in energy work, Harrell says hes pain free for the first time in years.

It was one of those things hey, what do I have to lose? Harrell said Thursday during the Green Bay Packers organized team activities.

I saw him, and Im cured.

Its easy to be skeptical of Harrell, too, considering the former first-round draft pick has lost much of his first two NFL seasons to injuries.

Last year, the big issue was Harrells back, which required two offseason surgeries and led to the hip pain that ended his season. The pain persisted into the offseason, and even as he rehabbed at Lambeau Field, Harrell didnt feel quite right until he saw Plansky, who also is a trained acupuncturist and hypnotist.

Citing patient confidentiality, Plansky declined to reveal what work he did on Harrell. Whatever it was, it has Harrell feeling better than he did even before he first hurt the back last April and practicing during OTAs for the first time in his young career.

A defensive tackle in the Packers old 4-3 defensive scheme, Harrell is playing end in the 3-4 and working with the starters in Cullen Jenkins absence.

I have not been with him in the past, so I cannot speak on the past, new defensive line coach Mike Trgovac said of Harrell, but hes been very determined, hes moving very well, and hes very focused right now, and hes just naturally a bright kid. Ive been very pleased with his effort.

Whether it carries over to the season remains to be seen. Harrell admitted his weight again has ballooned to 325 pounds Eating too much barbeque last week; I wont do it again, he said and he has a history of having setbacks just when he seems to be past an injury.

But Harrell said hes motivated to justify an investment he made roughly $1.75 million in base salary and bonuses while playing in only 15 games over his first two years; another $1.5 million option bonus was due April 1 that has yet to pay off for the Packers.

I was brought up here for a reason, and I havent lived up to the reason they brought me up here, Harrell said. So, I dont blame anybody for saying, Oh, hes injury prone. Because I am.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

I was brought up here for a reason, and I havent lived up to the reason they brought me up here, Harrell said. So, I dont blame anybody for saying, Oh, hes injury prone. Because I am.

I'm glad he's realized his credo or whatever you call it. Now let's change it!

And was that directed towards me? What the heck, I'm confused!
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
14 years ago

And was that directed towards me? What the heck, I'm confused!

"SlickVision" wrote:

Whatever it takes to cure him... alternative or not.. :lol:
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

15h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.