Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Prayers go out to Collins and his family.. tough times no doubt.

I think it is safe to say that some owe Nick a little apology for trashing him... also I think his agent is definitely has the familiar agent slime upon him...

Sad News... 

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
May. 28, 2009 9:32 a.m.

Green Bay - Willie James Collins Sr., the father of Packers safety Nick Collins, passed away on May 16 after a long battle with cancer.

It was the serious family issue Collins was referring to in comments he made to the Journal Sentinel on May 10.

Collins spent much of the 2007 season worried about this father's health and often flew back and forth to Florida to be with him. Mr. Collins' cancer was thought to be in remission last year.

The former Dixie County (Cross City) High School and Bethune-Cookman College quarterback was buried on Saturday after a celebration of Mr. Collins' life in the high school gymnasium.

Here is a portion of the obituary published in the Gainesville (Fla.) Sun:

COLLINS, WILLIE JAMES SR.

"GRAMP"

Age 56, of Cross City, Florida, a former Quarterback of Dixie County High School and Bethune-Cookman College, a former Policeman of the Cross City Police Dept and Dixie County Sheriff's Department, a former Employee of the Cross City Correctional Institution and the Dept of Agriculture, a former Coach of Pop Warner Football and the Dixie County Little League Baseball, Member of Miracle Deliverance Center Church where he served faithfully until his health began to fail, etc. died Saturday, May 16, 2009 in Cross City at the residence of his Sister, Heddie Johnson.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
They were talking on the radio how they didn't believe there was a family issue at all and it was a ploy for a contract. I was thinking to myself, man, what if there was one and it's just being kept on the down low out of respect? Then they started saying if there was a serious family issue that it would have been leaked.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Yes there is definitely a lesson for all types of media on this one... jumping to conclusions and not respecting a players word when spoken.

It didn't help that his agent came out and talked his slimy agent talk about how even without the issue he won't be there.. when Collins was speaking in an opposite direction..

Sooner or later the media is going to have to be held accountable for some of the things they scribe.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
I can't remember a single instance of a player saying they have a "serious family issue" and it being a ploy for a new contract. I don't know why anyone would even doubt it. That's some weird logic, and in retrospect, completely insensitive and shameful. On a message board it's fine I guess (90% of boards are crap anyway), but to PUBLISH and DISTRIBUTE, or BROADCAST opinions like that? Unacceptable. Those people definitely owe Nick and his family a heartfelt apology.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Yes there is definitely a lesson for all types of media on this one... jumping to conclusions and not respecting a players word when spoken.

It didn't help that his agent came out and talked his slimy agent talk about how even without the issue he won't be there.. when Collins was speaking in an opposite direction..

Sooner or later the media is going to have to be held accountable for some of the things they scribe.

"pack93z" wrote:

I was trying to go from what Collins said. He seemed adamant that it was a family issue so that's kind of how I took it. Be it a family issue as his team is his family or his actual family, it was serious to him.

I try to lean towards the player instead of the agent. I did that with my previous favorite WR, Javon Walker. That backfired in my face, but you still have to take the words from the actual person not from an interpretation from someone else. That's just my opinion though.

Sadly, I fear media will never be held accountable. This is something that I have harped on for years, literally, years. I even did a report on this subject for college. Remember the whole Brett Favre is going to announce his retirement at his golf outting? I blew that one out of the damn water and still people were thinking an announcement would be me made. The 'lose' wording was posted and still ... omg brett is gonna retire at his golf event that he has every year! Let's bring ESPN there!!

I could go on about this subject for ever. It pisses me off. Big time.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago
Awful, just awful. My thoughts and prayers go out to Nick and his family.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Awful, just awful. My thoughts and prayers go out to Nick and his family.

"mi_keys" wrote:

Same here. 😞
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Rookie (from TheFan) who claimed that Collins was not showing up purely because of contract issues says he oes not feel bad for his comments after finding out his Father passed away. He says that he still believes the contract is the main reason why he's not in camp.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
Well fuck Rookie, then.

God... we're really accumulating quite the contingent of asshole fans.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
That sucks. Hopefully, Nick can begin to have some peace of mind and a restful heart in the coming weeks and months.

I guess I don't feel too angry with the media. Everybody knows they'll say anything to get a headline. This has been such a dicey situation with Nick. I hope he can come in and build off last year's results.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Zero2Cool (16h) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (16h) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (20h) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
beast (25-Apr) : 49ers are Cap Tight
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

16h / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

17h / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

28-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.