Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Prayers go out to Collins and his family.. tough times no doubt.

I think it is safe to say that some owe Nick a little apology for trashing him... also I think his agent is definitely has the familiar agent slime upon him...

Sad News... 

By Greg A. Bedard of the Journal Sentinel
May. 28, 2009 9:32 a.m.

Green Bay - Willie James Collins Sr., the father of Packers safety Nick Collins, passed away on May 16 after a long battle with cancer.

It was the serious family issue Collins was referring to in comments he made to the Journal Sentinel on May 10.

Collins spent much of the 2007 season worried about this father's health and often flew back and forth to Florida to be with him. Mr. Collins' cancer was thought to be in remission last year.

The former Dixie County (Cross City) High School and Bethune-Cookman College quarterback was buried on Saturday after a celebration of Mr. Collins' life in the high school gymnasium.

Here is a portion of the obituary published in the Gainesville (Fla.) Sun:

COLLINS, WILLIE JAMES SR.

"GRAMP"

Age 56, of Cross City, Florida, a former Quarterback of Dixie County High School and Bethune-Cookman College, a former Policeman of the Cross City Police Dept and Dixie County Sheriff's Department, a former Employee of the Cross City Correctional Institution and the Dept of Agriculture, a former Coach of Pop Warner Football and the Dixie County Little League Baseball, Member of Miracle Deliverance Center Church where he served faithfully until his health began to fail, etc. died Saturday, May 16, 2009 in Cross City at the residence of his Sister, Heddie Johnson.

"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
They were talking on the radio how they didn't believe there was a family issue at all and it was a ploy for a contract. I was thinking to myself, man, what if there was one and it's just being kept on the down low out of respect? Then they started saying if there was a serious family issue that it would have been leaked.
UserPostedImage
Pack93z
  • Pack93z
  • Select Member Topic Starter
14 years ago
Yes there is definitely a lesson for all types of media on this one... jumping to conclusions and not respecting a players word when spoken.

It didn't help that his agent came out and talked his slimy agent talk about how even without the issue he won't be there.. when Collins was speaking in an opposite direction..

Sooner or later the media is going to have to be held accountable for some of the things they scribe.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
14 years ago
I can't remember a single instance of a player saying they have a "serious family issue" and it being a ploy for a new contract. I don't know why anyone would even doubt it. That's some weird logic, and in retrospect, completely insensitive and shameful. On a message board it's fine I guess (90% of boards are crap anyway), but to PUBLISH and DISTRIBUTE, or BROADCAST opinions like that? Unacceptable. Those people definitely owe Nick and his family a heartfelt apology.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Yes there is definitely a lesson for all types of media on this one... jumping to conclusions and not respecting a players word when spoken.

It didn't help that his agent came out and talked his slimy agent talk about how even without the issue he won't be there.. when Collins was speaking in an opposite direction..

Sooner or later the media is going to have to be held accountable for some of the things they scribe.

"pack93z" wrote:

I was trying to go from what Collins said. He seemed adamant that it was a family issue so that's kind of how I took it. Be it a family issue as his team is his family or his actual family, it was serious to him.

I try to lean towards the player instead of the agent. I did that with my previous favorite WR, Javon Walker. That backfired in my face, but you still have to take the words from the actual person not from an interpretation from someone else. That's just my opinion though.

Sadly, I fear media will never be held accountable. This is something that I have harped on for years, literally, years. I even did a report on this subject for college. Remember the whole Brett Favre is going to announce his retirement at his golf outting? I blew that one out of the damn water and still people were thinking an announcement would be me made. The 'lose' wording was posted and still ... omg brett is gonna retire at his golf event that he has every year! Let's bring ESPN there!!

I could go on about this subject for ever. It pisses me off. Big time.
UserPostedImage
mi_keys
14 years ago
Awful, just awful. My thoughts and prayers go out to Nick and his family.
Born and bred a cheesehead
Zero2Cool
14 years ago

Awful, just awful. My thoughts and prayers go out to Nick and his family.

"mi_keys" wrote:

Same here. 😞
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
14 years ago
Rookie (from TheFan) who claimed that Collins was not showing up purely because of contract issues says he oes not feel bad for his comments after finding out his Father passed away. He says that he still believes the contract is the main reason why he's not in camp.
UserPostedImage
14 years ago
Well fuck Rookie, then.

God... we're really accumulating quite the contingent of asshole fans.
UserPostedImage
bozz_2006
14 years ago
That sucks. Hopefully, Nick can begin to have some peace of mind and a restful heart in the coming weeks and months.

I guess I don't feel too angry with the media. Everybody knows they'll say anything to get a headline. This has been such a dicey situation with Nick. I hope he can come in and build off last year's results.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
beast (11h) : Not sure why a players views reflect on GB... instead of simply on the player
Martha Careful (17-May) : I bet some of us have had 6+ mRNA jabs, a UKR flag on our walls, and still think Fauci has a thread of integrity
Zero2Cool (16-May) : From what I've read, it's all Jets , not us.
CanPackFan (16-May) : Will there ever be a time when Rodgers' whacko views will not reflect on GB? He is the past, thank god.
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Jan 4th gonna be rough with that start time lol
Zero2Cool (16-May) : Packers schedule listed. Boom.
buckeyepackfan (15-May) : Let the leaks begin. Colts @ Packers week 2, Vikings @ Packers week 4
Zero2Cool (14-May) : WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling to Bills
Zero2Cool (14-May) : Jets and Aaron Rodgers open up on Monday Night Football,
Zero2Cool (13-May) : $170 guaranteed. This might impact Jordan Love
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Lions are signing QB Jared Goff to a four-year, $212 million extension
Zero2Cool (13-May) : I know we moved on. That tidbit just makes me a touch happier.
Zero2Cool (13-May) : Sources spoke of many, many times last summer where Hackett called a play, then Rodgers changed it completely at the line
Martha Careful (10-May) : 1. this is true of all our linemen. 2. His run block is fine. 3. If all OL played like he has, we would win SB.
beast (10-May) : Meyers pass blocking is really good, his run blocking is really not.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : Packers have claimed DE Spencer Waege off of waivers from the 49ers and waived DT Rodney Mathews.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : And the OL protections seem to be good.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : I really don't know lol. I don't see him getting blown up.
Zero2Cool (9-May) : -3 buwahhhahaaha
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : 4th
Zero2Cool (9-May) : because he's 1st
Mucky Tundra (9-May) : Myers isn't even the 3rd best C on the roster atm
Martha Careful (9-May) : I am not sure I understand the Myers hate. He was consistently our third best lineman. RG and LT were worse.
beast (9-May) : Just saying I don't think moving Myers would help Myers.
beast (9-May) : Center is usually considered the easiest position physically if you can handle the snap stuff.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : Bust it is then
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Context. Sounds like Myers won't be cross-trained. C or bust.
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : @BookOfEli_NFL Packers pass game coordinator, Jason Vrable said that Jayden Reed and Dontayvion Wicks shared a placed in Florida while train
Mucky Tundra (8-May) : For now...
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers go about evaluating their "best five," OL coach Luke Butkus makes on thing clear: "Josh Myers is our center."
beast (8-May) : Though I'm a bit surprised letting go of CBs, I thought we needed more not less
beast (8-May) : It was confusing with two DB Anthony Johnson anyways
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers actually had Ray Lewis on the phone.
Zero2Cool (8-May) : Packers wanted to draft Ray Lewis. Ravens stole him.
Martha Careful (6-May) : Happy 93rd Birthday to the Greatest Baseball Player of All-Time...Willie Mays
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Walter Stanely's son
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : and released CB Anthony Johnson and DL Deandre Johnson and waived/injured WR Thyrick Pitts (thigh-rick).
buckeyepackfan (6-May) : The Green Bay Packers have signed WR Julian Hicks, OL Lecitus Smith (luh-SEET-us) and WR Dimitri Stanley
Zero2Cool (6-May) : Petty, but it's annoying me how the NFL is making the schedule release an event.
Mucky Tundra (4-May) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2024 Packers Schedule
Friday, Sep 6 @ 7:15 PM
Eagles
Sunday, Sep 15 @ 12:00 PM
COLTS
Sunday, Sep 22 @ 12:00 PM
Titans
Sunday, Sep 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Oct 6 @ 3:25 PM
Rams
Sunday, Oct 13 @ 12:00 PM
CARDINALS
Sunday, Oct 20 @ 12:00 PM
TEXANS
Sunday, Oct 27 @ 12:00 PM
Jaguars
Sunday, Nov 3 @ 3:25 PM
LIONS
Sunday, Nov 17 @ 12:00 PM
Bears
Sunday, Nov 24 @ 3:25 PM
49ERS
Thursday, Nov 28 @ 7:20 PM
DOLPHINS
Thursday, Dec 5 @ 7:15 PM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 15 @ 7:20 PM
Seahawks
Monday, Dec 23 @ 7:15 PM
SAINTS
Sunday, Dec 29 @ 12:00 PM
Vikings
Saturday, Jan 4 @ 11:00 PM
BEARS
Recent Topics
2h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

4h / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

15-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / dhazer

13-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

12-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

11-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

10-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / wpr

9-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

7-May / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

5-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

5-May / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.