Zero2Cool
15 years ago
Source Link 

It's a common refrain heard around the National Football League, that the last few roster spots at the time of the final cutdown almost inevitably come down to special teams, and to which players can contribute on the field other than as a backup at their stated positions.

With that in mind, talk of contributing on special teams could be heard all over the Packers' locker room during rookie orientation this past weekend. Even with roster cuts months away, young players are always keenly aware that the early fate of their professional football lives could rest on whether they can make an impact on special teams.

In the case of the Packers' last two 2009 draft picks, that part shouldn't be a problem. Sixth-round selection Brandon Underwood of Cincinnati and seventh-rounder Brad Jones of Colorado both come to Green Bay as accomplished special-teams players, increasing their chances of making the final roster despite being drafted so late.

After three rather uneventful seasons at Ohio State, Underwood transferred to Cincinnati and was named the Bearcats' special teams player of the year in 2008, primarily for his work as a gunner on punt coverage. As it is at his primary position of cornerback, speed is Underwood's best asset on coverage teams and he'll likely be asked to put that to use in Green Bay as well.

"I'm just hoping to establish a name for myself and come in and learn the system," he said. "Basically try to be a factor and show everybody that I was a sixth-round draft pick but I can play."

Meanwhile, Jones has more special-teams experience than the average college draft choice, having gotten his start on special teams as a redshirt freshman for the Buffaloes. When he became a starting outside linebacker as a sophomore, he remained on special teams and contributed to those units his final three years as well.

"It kind of stuck with me, and I don't have a problem with that," Jones said. "I love special teams. I think it's very, very vital to the game."

The Packers hope it's players like Jones who can help the special teams improve in 2009 under new coordinator Shawn Slocum. Head Coach Mike McCarthy has said several times that one effect on the roster with the switch to the 3-4 defense is the necessity to keep more linebackers than in a 4-3, where more emphasis was placed roster-wise on the defensive line.

Backup linebackers are generally considered prime candidates for special teams because of their build, speed and tackling ability, and with a deeper stable of linebackers on the roster, the special teams units should get a boost.

That's where a player like Jones comes in. He's familiar with the 3-4 defense from his days in Colorado, which should help him in his bid for a backup linebacker spot. And his experience on special teams only makes him a more attractive candidate for the final roster, which is tough to crack for any seventh-round pick. In the previous three drafts, the Packers selected five players in the seventh round, and only two (RB DeShawn Wynn and QB Matt Flynn) made the 53-man roster as rookies.

"I'm talking to the special teams coach now, and I want to be on all the special teams," Jones said. "He already knows that. Special teams is my thing.

"That's not what they're telling me is my ticket, but obviously I see that as an avenue. If I can play on special teams and am athletic enough to, then why not?"

That was a thought shared by some other rookies in the locker room this past weekend, as rookies are always eager to get on an NFL field any way they can.

"I've never played special teams but if they teach me how to play it I'll go out there, man," fifth-round pick and offensive lineman Jamon Meredith said. "I've always thought about being a wedge-buster or a punt protector. If they ask me to be on special teams, I'll be happy to."

Non-drafted receiver Jamarko Simmons, who has a particularly tough assignment to land a roster spot within the Packers' deep receiving corps, realizes that special teams may be the best way to separate himself from the other rookie receivers in OTAs and training camp.

"I think I have to play special teams, and I have to have a big impact on special teams," Simmons said. "With the great receivers here, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, Jordy (Nelson), all those guys, ... I know I'll fit in some kind of way, but my impact this year will have to be on special teams."

It is something rookies at times have to learn, having not played special teams in college because they were longtime starters. It can be a major adjustment, which is what makes players like Underwood and Jones somewhat rare, but it's a change any rookie must be willing to make or he's limiting his opportunities from the start.

"I haven't played special teams in a really long time, but it's just all about getting back out there and doing it," non-drafted running back Tyrell Sutton said. "It's nothing new. It's just like riding a bike. Once you do it, you never forget it."

Or as most NFL coaches would warn, you'd better not.

I think us having more LB's on the roster will improve our special teams. I think LB's are more dynamic than DL's.
UserPostedImage
PackFanWithTwins
15 years ago
Always important for the new guys, and just as important for veteran backups with a few exceptions. D and Oline are not big into the ST role. Make the team, and they have much more opportunity to improve at their position.
The world needs ditch diggers too Danny!!!
Dulak
15 years ago
I'd like to see some of these guys play their regular positions also; I'm wondering how good simmons can catch and run and then how good and jones our 7th round pick how good he can rush the passer.
Pack93z
15 years ago

I think us having more LB's on the roster will improve our special teams. I think LB's are more dynamic than DL's.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

I will agree with that assessment.. on returns and coverage it is a definate advantage.

However it is offset a little elsewhere by a reduced number of thick defensive lineman in goal line and short yardage situations where the roster numbers turn about face.

I would be interesting to see the numbers of short yardage situations between 4-3 teams and 3-4 teams.. goal line and less than a yard situations.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
Dulak
15 years ago

"pack93z" wrote:

I will agree with that assessment.. on returns and coverage it is a definate advantage.

However it is offset a little elsewhere by a reduced number of thick defensive lineman in goal line and short yardage situations where the roster numbers turn about face.

I would be interesting to see the numbers of short yardage situations between 4-3 teams and 3-4 teams.. goal line and less than a yard situations.

"Zero2Cool" wrote:

ya it came down to chicago's Dline pushing our Oline and penetrating it; and thats why they blocked that FG.

Hence once of the reasons why I have been pushing for upgrades to our Oline in this latest draft.
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Wasn't Underwood's best 40 time a 4.39? If so, I'd love to see the guy make the team. Heck, with that kind of 40 time, do you think he has a shot as a Returner?

Note that that was an unofficial time. He's listed as 4.4x, not sure the exact time, but it's in that range. I read the 4.39 somewhere and can't forget where, but I think it was sports.yahoo.com/nfl somewhere.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
Rockmolder
15 years ago

Wasn't Underwood's best 40 time a 4.39? If so, I'd love to see the guy make the team. Heck, with that kind of 40 time, do you think he has a shot as a Returner?

Note that that was an unofficial time. He's listed as 4.4x, not sure the exact time, but it's in that range. I read the 4.39 somewhere and can't forget where, but I think it was sports.yahoo.com/nfl somewhere.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1632931 

His best recorded 40 time was 4.36.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/cb/Brandon-Underwood.php 

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 198 | 40-Time: 4.53

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/brandon-underwood?id=71489#profiles-tabs:players-analysis 

Combine Results:
40 Yard Dash : 4.48 seconds

Apparently it's all over the place. I don't mind that much, I just want to see how they play in the NFL. Harris was drafted in the 6th round, I can imagine it was mostly due to his speed, but he's a pretty decent corner.

Speed helps alot in this leagues, but it's also pretty overrated. At worst, he can play safety, maybe bulk up a little. I wouldn't mind that at all, mainly because I'm not sold on either Bigby or Smith.
zombieslayer
15 years ago
Thanks Rock.

Yeah, I know speed doesn't always translate to the NFL. Like Gregorious and Driver both don't have blinding 40 speed. But tell that to the Safety who's trying desperately to keep up with them as they're nearing the end zone.

Still, speed is always one of those things that opens up people's eyes. Remember Willie Gault? Didn't catch that many passes, but when he did, it hurt you because when you're averaging 20 yards a catch, you're hurting your opponent. (By the way, completely not related, Gault is nearing 50 and got clocked once with a time that would have gotten him a Silver Medal in the Olympics. Isn't that awesome?)

It's just one of my prejudices, but I'm always in favor of looking at speed. If you can translate track speed to football speed, you can always figure out a way to damage your opponent. But as I said, doesn't always translate.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
beast
15 years ago
I saw a pic of underwood and he looked lanky with lots of room for more weight if he needs it.

I have not seen him play but from what I've read sounded like he wouldn't a SS in the NFL but maybe FS or CB.

I REALLY hope they teach him bump and run first because he's got wide shoulders and long arms which I think would make him do that easier for him than others and Harris is the best at it so maybe he can teach and who knows how much longer Harris is going to be around. (and yes I know their going to be playing zone more but 3-4 teams still play man on man when they blitz 5 or 6 guys)
UserPostedImage
zombieslayer
14 years ago
Yeah, I'm expecting a hybrid D that will work on the strengths of what we have. So there will ALWAYS be a need for someone who can bump at the line. Harris will have a place until he loses a step. If Harris can teach Underwood to bump half as well as Harris does, that would be cool.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (1h) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
36m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

37m / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

2h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

10h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.