Zero2Cool
13 years ago
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101128/PKR01/101128034/Special-teams-leave-their-coach-frustrated- 

ATLANTA The jovial Shawn Slocum of the last several weeks was replaced by a much surlier version Sunday.

The Green Bay Packers special teams coach had every right to be irritated after a 20-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons in which his units regression had a direct impact on the loss.

Im frustrated when we dont win the field position battle, which weve been doing, Slocum said. Im frustrated because thats what special teams is about.

Then to give up an impact kickoff return in the last part of the game that gave them a scoring opportunity from midfield, thats not good enough.

The Packers were elated after a 16-play drive culminated in a game-tying 10-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers to Jordy Nelson with 56 seconds left in the ballgame. The score sat at 20-20 and the Packers needed just one defensive stop to force overtime in the meeting between two of the top teams in the NFC.

It took a single kickoff return for the Packers to turn desperate.

Eric Weems fielded the ball from Mason Crosbys foot four yards deep into the end zone and streaked up the middle. He found a seam and was a blur past Packers defenders before Matt Wilhelm reached out, grabbed Weems facemask and yanked him to the ground. Weems had already reached the 36-yard line, but the penalty moved the Falcons to the Green Bay 49-yard line.

Matt Bryant kicked a game-winning 47-yard field goal six plays later.

At that point it was get him on the ground by any means necessary, Wilhelm said. I just threw a hand in there. If I grabbed his collar, his facemask, his jersey, whatever it may be, Im trying to get him on the ground. Coming to the sideline, guys were saying 'You saved a touchdown.'

Does it make anything better? Absolutely not. Probably, the reason weve been so successful on special teams and as a teams, is because weve been able to limit penalties.

Slocum explained the coverage team didnt get any penetration on the backside and he refused to justify the penalty.

Im extremely bothered, Slocum said. They got the ball at the 50-yard line.

Slocum declined to say whether he thought Weems would have scored without the facemask.

Ill let you decide that, Slocum said.

The final kickoff will be whats remembered most, but the Packers faltered again and again on special teams on Sunday.

Sam Shields came out from 4 yards deep in the end zone on the Packers' first kickoff return and was tackled at the 11-yard line. His second opportunity came at the start of the second half and Shields sprinted for a 37-yard gain before being tackled by Bryant at the 32-yard line.

Shields third return was a complete disaster as he brought the ball out of the corner of the end zone and ran mostly parallel before being pushed out of bounds at the 13-yard line. He also received an unnecessary roughness penalty on the play, so the Packers started at their 13-yard line. Slocum said Shields should have stayed in the end zone.

The final return, which came after the game-winning field goal, was returned 20 yards by Shields.

Outside of the 37-yarder, Shields averaged 16.7 yards per return. No one in the NFL with a minimum of 10 kickoff returns averages fewer than 18.3 yards per return.

Its not going to be there all the time, Shields said. Youve just got to read what you see and hit the hole.

The problem was the Packers consistently started with poor field position following a Falcons score when its most important to respond.

It's tough, it really is, Rodgers said. We've had the luxury of really the last three weeks of flipping the field position and having great field position and pinning them deep and having great kickoff returns.

Today we started a lot of drives inside the 20-yard line and it's tough, but we're not making any excuses about the way we played on offense. Seventeen points is not good enough.

Thats partly why Slocum was so distressed following the game. Early-season criticism of the special teams units had subsided for nearly a month. There werent many issues to lament.

But neither the kickoff or kickoff coverage teams played well in a game where the Packers (7-4) and Falcons (9-2) were playing with playoff seedings possibly on the line.

Then there were the penalties.

Shields and Wilhelm had their miscues.

Jarrett Bush was flagged for an illegal touch on punt coverage in the first quarter.

Dimitri Nance was called for an illegal block on a punt return during the following series.

The team only had 10-men on the field for a punt return in the third quarter, which resulted in a fair catch.

Tramon Williams averaged 1 yard on two punt returns.

The Packers came to Atlanta with six games of three or fewer penalties for the first time since 1974.

Weve been playing without penalties and to have as many as we had today was uncommon, Slocum said. Weve got to play better in a tight ballgame and not have those situations that affected field position tremendously.

When you have big games and its tight, we need to play better. Weve got to emphasize the small things because they become big things in tight ballgames.

UserPostedImage
peteralan71
13 years ago
If Shields dodges the kicker and returns the kickoff for 6, this article isn't written, IMO. Our ST did poorly on the final play, yes, but that can happen at any time. The problem is that we let it happen at the most crucial time of the game.
Green Bay: Home of the Green & Gold. And the hunter orange. And the camouflage.
UserPostedImage
nerdmann
13 years ago

If Shields dodges the kicker and returns the kickoff for 6, this article isn't written, IMO. Our ST did poorly on the final play, yes, but that can happen at any time. The problem is that we let it happen at the most crucial time of the game.

"peteralan71" wrote:

He'll learn from that. They'll show it to him on film. One thing I will say is I've never seen a stiff arm called as a penalty. WTF!
“Winning is not a sometime thing, it is an all the time thing. You don't do things right once in a while…you do them right all the time.”
go.pack.go.
13 years ago
Noticed a flaw in this article. It says we were tied at 20 but it was actually 17. I guess I'm just being picky.
UserPostedImage
Zero2Cool
13 years ago

Noticed a flaw in this article. It says we were tied at 20 but it was actually 17. I guess I'm just being picky.

"go.pack.go." wrote:

It's impressive the errors these professionals make, huh?

Wish the salary was there, I'd give it a serious go, but often times, you don't get to write/cover the team you covet.
UserPostedImage
musccy
13 years ago
agreed nerdmann, that was ticky tack, same for Bush's penalty. I know letter of the law it's a flag...but the ball had almost stopped and he had 1 foot out...let it go!

Anyway, Wilhelm shouldn't be blamed for the flag, the ball is AT LEAST at the 50 if he didn't facemask him.

My bigger concern is how pitiful our returns were. Tramon probably shouldn't be PRing anyway, but for cripes' sake, he and shields or whowever the f is returning - catch the damn ball and run north-south.
Cheesey
13 years ago
Our returners just go side to side. You have to run FORWARD to gain yards.

And again, sqib kick the ball at the end! Kicking it deep? STUPID!
Hell, if your gonna do that, kick the damn ball out of bounds and give it to them at the 40.
UserPostedImage
Fan Shout
Mucky Tundra (47m) : @mattschneidman Matt LaFleur on how he tore his pec: “Got in a fight with the bench press. I lost.”
Zero2Cool (3-May) : Jordan Love CAN sign an extension as of today. Might tak weeks/months though
TheKanataThrilla (3-May) : Packers decline 5th year option for Stokes
Mucky Tundra (3-May) : @ProFootballTalk Jaylen Warren: Steelers' special teams coach has discussed Justin Fields returning kicks.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Season officially ending tonight for Bucks ... sad face
Zero2Cool (2-May) : Giannis Antetokounmpo is listed as out for tonight's game.
dfosterf (2-May) : Surprisingly low initially is my guess cap wise, but gonna pay the piper after that
dfosterf (2-May) : The number on Love is going to be brutal.
Zero2Cool (2-May) : May 3rd. Extension day for Jordan Love. (soonest)
Zero2Cool (1-May) : USFL MVP QB Alex McGough moved to WR. So that's why no WR drafted!
earthquake (1-May) : Packers draft starters at safety ever few years. Collins, Clinton-Dix, Savage
beast (1-May) : Why can't the rookies be a day 1 starter? Especially when we grabbed 3 of them at the position
dfosterf (1-May) : Not going to be shocked if Gilmore goes to the Lions.
dfosterf (1-May) : I hear you dhazer, but my guess would be Gilmore Colts and Howard Vikings from what little has been reported.
Mucky Tundra (30-Apr) : S learn from McKinney who learns from Hafley who learns from the fans. Guaranteed Super Bowl
Zero2Cool (30-Apr) : could*
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Safeties should learn from Xavier.
dhazer (29-Apr) : And what about grabbing a Gilmore or Howard at CB ? Those are all Free Agents left
dhazer (29-Apr) : out of curiosity do they try and sign Simmons or Hyde to let these young safeties learn from, they can't be day 1 starters.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : I miss having Sam Shields.
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : Not that he's making excuses, just pointing it out
Zero2Cool (29-Apr) : That's for dang sure. Make our erratic kicker have no excuse!
packerfanoutwest (28-Apr) : having a great long snapper is gold
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : LaFleur looking like he had some weight. Coachin will do that lol
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Thanks Mucky and whomever created topcos for each pick!
Zero2Cool (28-Apr) : Insane about Kingsley
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Putring it here so Mucky sees it. He was our guy!
dfosterf (28-Apr) : Bowden long snapper Wisconsin. Consensus best LS in college.
dfosterf (28-Apr) : We got Peter Bowde
dfosterf (28-Apr) : I personally interpret that as a partial tear that can be recovered from with rehab
dfosterf (28-Apr) : MLF said Kingsley Enagbare did NOT tear his ACL and did NOT require surgery, and that he is "looking good" for the 2024 season!
beast (28-Apr) : T.O. son signs with the 49ers
Mucky Tundra (28-Apr) : damn those vikings
beast (27-Apr) : UDFA Vikings sign TE – Trey Knox, South Carolina
beast (27-Apr) : Kitchen was all high from Miami, he was more lucky than talented in 2022 and it showed in 2023
beast (27-Apr) : Reportedly Packers have UDFAs Jennings and Jones
beast (27-Apr) : OL – Donovan Jennings, USF OT – Trente Jones, Michigan
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : Interesting draft. A bit shocked that we didn't select an early CB. Definitely have Safety help. Pretty happy overall.
dhazer (27-Apr) : wow the last 2 picks are really stupid and probably will be special teams players Top 10 draft pick next year book it
TheKanataThrilla (27-Apr) : I think he ended up with a terrible RAS score
dhazer (27-Apr) : Anyone know what went on with Kitchens from Florida? At 1 point he was to be the Packers 1st round and he is way down the board now
Martha Careful (27-Apr) : Z, could you please combine my thread with yours please. I obviously did not see it when I Created it
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Re: 'Kool-Aid' McKinstry. Other than Icky Woods, has there ever been a good NFLer with a childish nickname?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Packers looking to trade up
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Flag?
Martha Careful (26-Apr) : Sag?
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : It rhymes with "bag."
beast (26-Apr) : Family? That's Deadpool's F word
Nonstopdrivel (26-Apr) : Not THAT f-word.
Zero2Cool (26-Apr) : fuck
Please sign in to use Fan Shout
2023 Packers Schedule
Sunday, Sep 10 @ 3:25 PM
Bears
Sunday, Sep 17 @ 12:00 PM
Falcons
Sunday, Sep 24 @ 12:00 PM
SAINTS
Thursday, Sep 28 @ 7:15 PM
LIONS
Monday, Oct 9 @ 7:15 PM
Raiders
Sunday, Oct 22 @ 3:25 PM
Broncos
Sunday, Oct 29 @ 12:00 PM
VIKINGS
Sunday, Nov 5 @ 12:00 PM
RAMS
Sunday, Nov 12 @ 12:00 PM
Steelers
Sunday, Nov 19 @ 12:00 PM
CHARGERS
Thursday, Nov 23 @ 11:30 AM
Lions
Sunday, Dec 3 @ 7:20 PM
CHIEFS
Monday, Dec 11 @ 7:15 PM
Giants
Sunday, Dec 17 @ 12:00 PM
BUCCANEERS
Sunday, Dec 24 @ 12:00 PM
Panthers
Sunday, Dec 31 @ 7:20 PM
Vikings
Sunday, Jan 7 @ 3:25 PM
BEARS
Sunday, Jan 14 @ 3:30 PM
Cowboys
Saturday, Jan 20 @ 7:15 PM
49ers
Recent Topics
1h / Packers Draft Threads / bboystyle

6h / Packers Draft Threads / beast

9h / Packers Draft Threads / wpr

23h / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

3-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / go.pack.go.

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / beast

2-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / bboystyle

1-May / Green Bay Packers Talk / greengold

1-May / Packers Draft Threads / dfosterf

30-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Green Bay Packers Talk / Martha Careful

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Zero2Cool

29-Apr / Packers Draft Threads / Mucky Tundra

28-Apr / Feedback, Suggestions and Issues / Zero2Cool

Headlines
Copyright © 2006 - 2024 PackersHome.com™. All Rights Reserved.