Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
You draft for the future. We don't know how much longer Driver will continue to perform at a high level, just as we didn't know how many years Favre would be around when we drafted Rodgers.

If Crabtree falls into our lap, I say we snag him.

I mean, seriously, would anyone really be heartbroken if we cut Ruvell Martin?
UserPostedImage
Stevetarded
15 years ago
I wouldn't crap myself over Crabtree being signed but I would rather see a player we need get picked.
blank
dfosterf
15 years ago
He has a hop at the LOS. He is not very big. He is not very fast. His production was awesome, his competition was not. Is he an outstanding prospect? Yes. Is he a proverbial blue-chipper? I say no he is not. The failure rate on can't miss wide receivers is high. Tausch is expected back no sooner than October. Clifton MIGHT be ok this year, but probably done after that. Jones played hurt last year. We have probably one Nose Tackle, possibly 0 nose tackles. We have one 3-4 OLB, who is also projected to that position, when we need two. The draft has very few options at our points of greatest need. I doubt Crabtree makes it past 5, but if he is sitting at 9, and we take him? Not only is it a luxury pick, but is far riskier than the over-hyped critique (lack of one, I should say) that he is getting here. Oh, btw, he played hurt last year, did not run at the combine, and just had surgery and is probably going to miss time for that. Not going deep into the issue??? DUDES...I have gone to the center of the Earth and back on this issue.

Edit- I'm also one hell of a lot more sure of the probablilty that he will be bringing "wide receiver nariccism" with him than I am about his blue-chip talent. I have read where several scouts have stated that Crabtree already thinks he's "arrived", without having played a friggin' down. Smokescreen? Maybe. Bet they are right, though. One thing I really like about our wide receiver corps is the lack of the "me-first" mentality, which seems to be in the minority in the NFL. We MAY get an addition in an already extremely stong aspect of our football team, and we MAY get a SUBTRACTION...all the while chewing up our number 9 pick.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
I don't necessarily want Crabtree -- and I highly doubt Thompson would go for such a flashy pick anyhow -- but even you have pointed out that the values in the top ten are not appreciably higher than those later in the first round. I'm sure Thompson knows this too, so unless it's impossible to work out a trade (quote plausible this year), I see us moving down. But if we don't, and Crabtree is available, I won't call for Thompson's head if he takes him. We were one WR injury away last year from having a mediocre offense.
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago

I mean, seriously, would anyone really be heartbroken if we cut Ruvell Martin?

"Nonstopdrivel" wrote:

Honestly, yes a little. I like Ruvell.

Its not like the draft ends at round 1 guys. I mean we don't pack up and go home after we make that pick. We have what? 7 other picks to use? Talent DOES come out of later rounds too. We can still address other position needs. But I think you take who is best at that spot. If its Crabtree, then take him.
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
You make a good point obviously. One of the major disadvantages to drafting Crabtree is that we'd have a tremendous amount of money tied up in the WR position.

Then again, no matter whom we draft at #9, we're going to have a lot money tied up in that position.
UserPostedImage
dfosterf
15 years ago
I want to touch on one other aspect, and yes, it is related, and yes, it goes a bit deep into the discussion and question. I'm pretty sure 93z saw this discussion, as I seem to recall him posting in that arena. It has to do with Aaron Rodgers and his "growing pains" as an NFL quarterback. I stay clear of this discussion here, because it somehow leads to Brett Favre comparisons by those (imo) that have some ax to grind.

Here is what Brett has/had that Aaron needs to work on. Super quick release. (.3 seconds faster on average than Aaron) Perfect timing in the 3,5 and 7 step drops. Reading all progressions, in effect, seeing the entire field, contrasted with Aaron (probably) seeing about half. He was also critiqued for looking downfield, as contrasted to short field/"check-off" type progressions.

That being said, know that Brett would shuck it when he should not, and Aaaron "takes off" when he probably shouldn't have needed to. I am totally good with a young mobile QB doing that, but that is the critique.

What does that have to do with drafting Crabtree? It has to do with the WR's deeper in the progression. Chances are good that Aaron NEVER SAW THEM in the pattern. You can blame the talent of the WR's, you can blame Aaron Rodgers, or you can blame the lack of pass protection. Given my choices, I blame our offensive line, not because Aaron is the be all, end all, but because he is not. There is only one Brett Favre in my lifetime. Aaron will improve, but not if he is constantly running for his life and either in fear of getting clobbered, or in fact getting clobbered.

Any lack of production by our "other" receivers is PROBABLY due to the youth and inexperience of our QB, exacerbated by a poor performing line. NOT the talent or lack of it in our wide receiver corps.
Yerko
15 years ago
I didn't read every post but I did vote. As much as I like Crabtree and think he is an outstanding athlete, you have got to be out of your mind to even think about drafting him if he fell to our 9th pick.
We have one of the top receiving core already! Driver is aging but he still produces so what would be the point of drafting Crabtree right now if we have so many other positions to be filled?
Offensive line and defensive line are big needs. I got upset reading a Sporting News mag where the writer posted his mock draft and had us taking Beanie Wells. Why in the hell would we need Beanie Wells?
If we draft anything other than an o-lineman or d-lineman, I will be extremely pissed off.

Now, if we dropped down and got some good extra picks...that would be fine with me. But I for sure voted no and I am totally against drafting Crabtree. Not because of him, but because there is no need for him.

Also....Seahawks, Raiders, and Jaguars. If one of these teams don't grab him then they are idiots.
UserPostedImage
Since69
15 years ago
I haven't read all the way through this thread, but I vote no.

Frankly, I don't think he's going to be nearly as good as everyone seems to think. I've watched tape, I've read interviews and scouting reports, and I just don't think he's got the heart he's going to need. He seems, I dunno... soft. He was productive, yes, but he wasn't facing anywhere near NFL-level talent. I can't put my finger on what it is exactly, but I don't think I'd take him if he was available at #41.
UserPostedImage
Nonstopdrivel
15 years ago
By the way, guys, it's "receiving corps," not "receiving core."
UserPostedImage