TengoJuego
15 years ago
I just thought it would be interesting to discuss. I know we have our needs on defense and most of the players we have eyed up to this point are on the other side of the ball. But would it be a bad pick? I mean the guy's got SERIOUS talent at his position. We haven't seen a player like him come through Green Bay. If the guys we have looked at defensively are taken, and he happens to be available, and Ted Thompson takes him, I would have no complaints.

As much as I love DD, hes getting up there in age. We have Jordy who will eventually become the next DD I hope, but man it would be nice to have Crabtree compliment Gregorious. All the sudden we have the most feared WR core.

EDIT: I sorta just realized that it was a, "Would YOU take him" question. And in that case, Yes I would.
zombieslayer
15 years ago

I just thought it would be interesting to discuss. I know we have our needs on defense and most of the players we have eyed up to this point are on the other side of the ball. But would it be a bad pick? I mean the guy's got SERIOUS talent at his position. We haven't seen a player like him come through Green Bay. If the guys we have looked at defensively are taken, and he happens to be available, and Ted Thompson takes him, I would have no complaints.

As much as I love Donald Driver, hes getting up there in age. We have Jordy who will eventually become the next Donald Driver I hope, but man it would be nice to have Crabtree compliment Gregorious. All the sudden we have the most feared WR core.

EDIT: I sorta just realized that it was a, "Would YOU take him" question. And in that case, Yes I would.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

I'm under the impression that Jones will be our next Driver. I think it will be Jennings, Jones, and Jordy as our 1-2-3.

If there is a significant difference between Crabtree and the next guy, then yes, I'd take Crabtree. But if they're close, I'd rather have a DL or an OL guy. We have a wonderful WR core and the upgrade at WR won't be that significant. But our DL caused us to go 6-10 last year. Fixing the DL will significantly change the team.

We already scored 420 points last year. The issue is not our O scoring points. It's our D allowing points. D needs to be the priority.
My man Donald Driver
UserPostedImage
(thanks to Pack93z for the pic)
2010 will be seen as the beginning of the new Packers dynasty. 🇹🇹 🇲🇲 🇦🇷
wpr
  • wpr
  • Preferred Member
15 years ago

As much as I love Donald Driver, hes getting up there in age. We have Jordy who will eventually become the next Donald Driver I hope, but man it would be nice to have Crabtree compliment Gregorious. All the sudden we have the most feared WR core.

"zombieslayer" wrote:

I'm under the impression that Jones will be our next Driver. I think it will be Jennings, Jones, and Jordy as our 1-2-3.

If there is a significant difference between Crabtree and the next guy, then yes, I'd take Crabtree. But if they're close, I'd rather have a DL or an OL guy. We have a wonderful WR core and the upgrade at WR won't be that significant. But our DL caused us to go 6-10 last year. Fixing the DL will significantly change the team.

We already scored 420 points last year. The issue is not our O scoring points. It's our D allowing points. D needs to be the priority.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Agreed. I am not oppossed to drafting Crabtree. He is a wonderful player. But I would like the brass to check out trade offers. If we get the other team's 1st this year along with their 1st next year or maybe 1st and 2nd this year, GB should consider making a trade.
Something else to be factored in to the equation is how far will they fall with the trade? My trade is based on GB dropping no more than 5 places or so. If they were to go from 9th to 25th or lower the other team would have to give up more.
UserPostedImage
TengoJuego
15 years ago
I'd rather have Crabtree than an O-lineman @ 9. I just haven't been impressed by the early first round O-lineman the past few years.
Bigbyfan
15 years ago

I'd rather have Crabtree than an O-lineman @ 9. I just haven't been impressed by the early first round O-lineman the past few years.

"TengoJuego" wrote:

Jake Long and Joey Thomas have been great the past two years and they are early 1st round lineman.
blank
Pack93z
15 years ago
If Crabtree is there at 9 then a run on the 4 offensive tackles has probably already taken place.. most likely the two top QB's in the draft are off the board and probably Curray and ?...

That means Monroe, J.Smith, A. Smith, M. Oher, Sanchez and Stafford.. then Curry and one of the tweeners or Raji...

If it is one of the tweeners, most likely Orakpo... then the prospects are Raji and Crabtree.. I would be on the Crabtree Bandwagon. Well before the likes of Brown, Maybin, Jenkins, Maclin, Wells, Pettigrew, etc...

That is a reflection on how much I don't trust the off field flags of Raji at 9, not to mention the fact that he was playing next to a load in Brace that often left Raji in an ideal match-up situation.. and the drop off in talent / risk of the other names I have mentioned..

So for me, the logical conclusion is either take Crabtree there or sell the pick to the highest / most value bidder on the phone lines.

If Crabtree is sitting there, to me that is the biggest drama story that could evolve for the Packers in the opening round.

Oh.. to be clear.. I would rather have one of the 3 top tackles without off field questions to fall to us.. J.Smith, Monroe, Oher. In a dream world, Smith or Monroe.. Monroe I think is going to be more of an out of the gate performer.. J.Smith probably has the most overall potential.. Oher is going to be just plain solid IMO.

A. Smith scares the hell out of me with his piss poor decision process of the past 6 months.. talented as hell, just not very bright.
"The oranges are dry; the apples are mealy; and the papayas... I don't know what's going on with the papayas!"
porky88
15 years ago
I'm for Crabtree

A couple years from now we'll be looking back at this draft and analyzing who the best overall player is. I think Michael Crabtree is going to be the undisputed best player from this draft. I think he's the real deal and I think he is the 3rd best receiver prospect of this decade behind only Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald and not by much either. He's that good.

I think James Jones is a nice player, but if I had a chance to draft Crabtree and pair him with Greg Jennings for the future, I'd do that. You'd be giving Aaron Rodgers two amazing receivers for ten years. Plus, Jordy is probably going to be a solid slot receiver.

It's also not like GB has a lot of amazing weapons. Chris Havel made a good point and sometimes he makes me shake my head at the radio, but this one made sense. Who is GB's guy that keeps defensive coordinators up all night? Greg Jennings to some extent yeah, but not Ryan Grant and Aaron Rodgers is still a bit of a work in progress.

You add Crabtree and then maybe defensive coordinators are up all night figuring out how to stop Crabtree along with Jennings. Not to mention Driver who probably has a few good years left too.
Rockmolder
15 years ago
I agree with Porky. If teams like the Jaguars are dumb enough to pass up on this guy, just because he hasn't ran a 40, that's their loss. (Garrard could really use Crabtree). His stats speak for themselfs, he's been an amazing player.

I have to admit that his ankles and his feet concern me a bit. I think he'll need one guy to fall on his ankle and his season is lost. Dirty teams might even strategize against that.

If he falls to us, though, we ought to take him. I think we could trade one of our receivers away, although I'm afraid that we'll get underpaid bigtime.

I see him maybe going to the Browns though. He's visiting them and I've heared something about the Browns trying to ship both Edwards and Quinn.
dd80forever
15 years ago

If Crabtree is there at 9 then a run on the 4 offensive tackles has probably already taken place.. most likely the two top QB's in the draft are off the board and probably Curray and ?...

That means Monroe, J.Smith, A. Smith, M. Oher, Sanchez and Stafford.. then Curry and one of the tweeners or Raji...

If it is one of the tweeners, most likely Orakpo... then the prospects are Raji and Crabtree.. I would be on the Crabtree Bandwagon. Well before the likes of Brown, Maybin, Jenkins, Maclin, Wells, Pettigrew, etc...

That is a reflection on how much I don't trust the off field flags of Raji at 9, not to mention the fact that he was playing next to a load in Brace that often left Raji in an ideal match-up situation.. and the drop off in talent / risk of the other names I have mentioned..

So for me, the logical conclusion is either take Crabtree there or sell the pick to the highest / most value bidder on the phone lines.

If Crabtree is sitting there, to me that is the biggest drama story that could evolve for the Packers in the opening round.

Oh.. to be clear.. I would rather have one of the 3 top tackles without off field questions to fall to us.. J.Smith, Monroe, Oher. In a dream world, Smith or Monroe.. Monroe I think is going to be more of an out of the gate performer.. J.Smith probably has the most overall potential.. Oher is going to be just plain solid IMO.

A. Smith scares the hell out of me with his piss poor decision process of the past 6 months.. talented as hell, just not very bright.

"pack93z" wrote:

I can't decide one way or another. The problem I have is we need immediate help on Defense. It would be the wrong move for this year IMO.

However, the thought of Crabtree and Jennings in the future is enticing. DD still has a few years left in him as well. Jordy and Jones don't really do anything for me. Both are probably 3's or so.

I guess in the end it comes down to your faith in Jones and Nelson to step in and replace DD when he goes and if you are willing to put off immediate help for future prosperity.

My conclusion is if he is there, we grab him and then go out and sign a FA D-lineman like Vonnie or someone.
blank
RaiderPride
15 years ago
Signing Crabtree would be a cap nightmare.

Remember Jennings is not signed yet and those two agents would have a field day playing off each other because they both play the same position.

I personally think it would screw up Jennings and he would not re-sign with the Packers.

Crabtree will be special. Greg already is.
""People Will Probably Never Remember What You Said, And May Never Remember What You Did. However, People Will Always Remember How You Made Them Feel."